Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2020, 08:41 AM   #401
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

My first time experiencing this big of a drop in my RRSP this quick. Surprisingly calm given I'm seeing years of contributions and growth wiped out in a single week.

How's everyone else doing?

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 08:47 AM   #402
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm so mad I chose to not trade this and last week. Such a blown opportunity. In general I think the last four months for sure have been quite parabolic to the normal trend. I'm not surprised to see it give that back.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 08:54 AM   #403
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

I'm down about 12% this week. Today especially has been a bloodbath.

Mostly, I'm just kinda pissed I don't get my bonus until the end of March so can't really do too much bargain shopping at the moment. That said, given we probably haven't hit the bottom yet, being forced to wait is not a bad thing either.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 08:59 AM   #404
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
My first time experiencing this big of a drop in my RRSP this quick. Surprisingly calm given I'm seeing years of contributions and growth wiped out in a single week.

I've been watching this since January, especially with the run up to Chinese New Year. CP thread started up right around that time and got my attention more.

Pulled the triggered and GTFO of Dodge at the start of last week.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 09:22 AM   #405
bigrangy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I knew I should have pulled out of my funds and held cash earlier this week but I'm finally getting around to pulling out today. Still just losing last year's gains, so I'm not too bothered, but man it would have been nice to pull out last week like some others did, literally $5000 in free money.

I think it gets worse over the weekend, then I'll probably get back in in a month or so when there's more information.
Old 02-28-2020, 09:23 AM   #406
puckedoff
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm just waiting for the first signs of a dead cat bounce and then I'm going to max out my LOC and buy up some stocks.
puckedoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 09:28 AM   #407
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

270 on the SPY would likely hold up as the lowest low. Below that would be freaky bad.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 09:36 AM   #408
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Wealthsimple's website is barely functioning, sometimes taking several tires at reloading before you can see anything. My RRSP through Canada Life is worse, their site is just straight up dead
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 09:47 AM   #409
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

my advice is stop watching, its to late to do anything now anyway.

you aren't micro trading, the climb back out of this will take years so missing a day or a week or a month of the recovery doesn't matter that much
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 09:48 AM   #410
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
Short as ####.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 09:52 AM   #411
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

If you tend to get emotional about your investments it might be better in the long run to either get someone else to handle them for you or set it and forget it. By that I mean no matter what the market does just wait it out.

I am buying and holding for the long term and will continue to buy if they keep going down. I only invest in companies I am comfortable holding for at least 10 years and in companies that have a history of increasing their dividends as I like to get paid to wait
Calgary14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 09:54 AM   #412
Krovikan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
I'm down about 12% this week. Today especially has been a bloodbath.

Mostly, I'm just kinda pissed I don't get my bonus until the end of March so can't really do too much bargain shopping at the moment. That said, given we probably haven't hit the bottom yet, being forced to wait is not a bad thing either.
If you have Canadian stocks, it may not be as big of a bloodbath today as it looks. I got an alert from Quest Trade this morning, informing me that the closing value was from the 26th and not the 27th due to the technical issues. So you may be looking a the two days.

No matter what it is a bloodbath, I'm down about 18% in my TSFA, and Canada Life seems to be down, so I have no clue what my RRSPs look like. I suspect just as bad.
Krovikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 09:56 AM   #413
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Also, wow was this a good year to be lazy on RRSP contributions and wait until the end. I see WealthSimple hasn't invested my deposit yet. Hurray!
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 10:01 AM   #414
Kerplunk
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

First time opening Questrade in a while, and woof did this last week hurt. Some of the stock charts look like staircases. Looks like too late to sell anything, so might wait a bit and see which ones stabilize before buying .
Kerplunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 10:03 AM   #415
Tiger
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

typically sell offs because of of events like this bounce back fairly quick.
Old 02-28-2020, 10:06 AM   #416
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
typically sell offs because of of events like this bounce back fairly quick.
I doubt this one will
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 10:17 AM   #417
IliketoPuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

Put 5% stop losses in place on Monday morning, they've all filled at this point, protecting the majority of gains. Sitting on cash for now and will observe how things play out over the next month.

There will be some great blue chip buys at nice price points in the coming weeks.

"I am actually more excited for the Oilers game tomorrow than the Flames game. I am praying for multiple jersey tosses. The Oilers are my new favourite team for all the wrong reasons. I hate them so much I love them."
IliketoPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 10:34 AM   #418
Tiger
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
I doubt this one will
people are panicking, which will make this big, and people are selling off. I will definitely try to invest more at this time (if I have it). but what will make it worse is more and more people pulling money out.

2008 the market was really bad and fundamentally there were issues in the market. and that did take years to come back (chart below)
Other events that didn't take long though Sep 21-Dec 26 2018 15.8% drop on fed hike, china slow down. Nov 3 to feb 11 2016 middle east tensions, NK nuclear tensions 13.3% drop. may 20 to aug 24 2015 greece default fears 10.9%. apr 26-jul 1 2010. euro debt crisis 15.2% drop. These are all the greater than 10% drops that recovered fairly quickly. there was also a little 7.4% dip in 2014 with ebola and oil collaspe. Since 2009 there have been about 25 drops of 5% or more linked to some fears or some world events too.

Overall do you see this as a 2008 type crisis or one of these similar market events?

Last edited by Tiger; 02-28-2020 at 10:37 AM.
Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 10:41 AM   #419
IliketoPuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

It isn't a 2008 level issue where the financial system almost collapsed.

But there are real problems with earnings that will be associated with constrained global trade. When you couple that with the angst of the market being so hot, for so long, people start looking for a reason to kick off a correction.

I plan to sit on the sidelines for a bit and gauge how this shakes out.

Fundamentally, viruses struggle with UV light. Spring and summer are on the way, which should slow down the corona virus. I suspect in a month, perhaps two, the markets will be back to talking about how great Tesla is.

"I am actually more excited for the Oilers game tomorrow than the Flames game. I am praying for multiple jersey tosses. The Oilers are my new favourite team for all the wrong reasons. I hate them so much I love them."
IliketoPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 11:45 AM   #420
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

I plan on continuing to put in my semi monthly Etf orders, but I'm going to spread them out. Instead of only doing two per month I'm going to 4 per month.