Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-03-2012, 10:31 AM   #41
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_carlson View Post
Idiot conservatives?

You mean the only ones who don't want to shut down the oilsands?

Idiot

I can't stand anders either but I certainly know what party is going to keep my clients and their clients in business.
The Liberals don't want to shut down the oilsands either; frankly were it not for the Liberals and their provision of some of the tax credits and such the oilsands wouldn't be as developed as it is today. To suggest anything else is basically revisionist history.

I definitely understand the stupidity of wanting to shutdown the oilsands, but let's not confuse the NDP/Greens with the other parties here. Another point is that if Anders was to lose his seat it doesn't mean that the Liberals or NDP are swept to power. It would be a fairly obvious vote against a candidate, specifically if the replacing MP was an independent.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 10:37 AM   #42
HotHotHeat
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's so embarrassing to be in his riding. I feel obligated to tell everyone I talk to from around the country that I didn't vote for him.
HotHotHeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 10:37 AM   #43
flamingreen
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Idiot conservatives?

Idiot

I can't stand anders either but I certainly know what party is going to keep my clients and their clients in business.
Declaring Nelson Mandela a communist terrorist is a small price to pay to keep those oil sands running.
flamingreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 10:44 AM   #44
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

If you had an employee who consistently slept on the job and it was publicly known, wouldn't you fire them?

It's embarrassing for the party, the government and Canada that we have an elected official pulling this kind of garbage.

You wonder why people have little faith in our elected officials to do the right thing for us when they're unwilling to manage their own party members.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 10:53 AM   #45
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
rotflmao

... you don't really believe that do you?

Barring an epic non-transitory collapse in the price of oil, I'll pube bet you right now that no government shuts down the oil sands at any point before petroleum based fuel is rendered effectively obsolete in the developed world.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Parallex For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2012, 11:00 AM   #46
Bertuzzied
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Idiot conservatives?

Idiot
Only an idiot would think that the Liberals if they were in power would shut down the oilsands. hahahahahaha
Bertuzzied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 11:13 AM   #47
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertuzzied View Post
Only an idiot would think that the Liberals if they were in power would shut down the oilsands. hahahahahaha
That thought pattern stems from the NEP, and is a reason no federal Liberal will be elected in Calgary for a long time to come.

To be fair, the NEP did creator Calgary when it happened. It was a stupid policy then. My father lost his job, and with two young boys was left to work where he could find it for a while. We made it out fine, but that event still scars my Dad when I bring up voting Liberal to him. I try and explain their policy, but it gets shut down pretty quick.

So that is a burden the Liberals will have to wear, and they have. However, as others have pointed out an independent run with Con viewpoints would be an alternative there. Problem is, the Harper command centre would go to def con 6, to crush that poor candidate out. That is true democracy in the Harper regime for ya. Patronage to Anders in exchange for democracy in his riding. Boy those Cons are so much better then Libs aren't they?

Anyways, I don't see anyone wasting their time and rep on running against this idiot. It's his seat for life, and the rest of us will just continue to scratch our heads.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OldDutch For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2012, 11:22 AM   #48
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

I never vote for this guy even though he's in my riding. I can't believe he hasn't been kicked out of the party yet. Must be backscratching with Harper or something, because the things he says and does would get any normal party member booted.

But, as mentioned before, it's all the seniors with their blue-colored glasses on that will vote. Anders could be a crack-smoking, racist ultra right-wing nut job and people would still vote for him because of his part allegiance. Democracy fail.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 11:26 AM   #49
littlereddevil
Scoring Winger

Exp:

A potted plant could run for the Conservative party and still get elected into parliament.

Oh wait. That's already happened, someone by the name of Anders.

So glad I can vote now, baffles me how this bloke continues to get reelected. Nevermind about voting for the Party, if your MP stinks you're never going to get your voice properly heard.
littlereddevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 11:49 AM   #50
Bownesian
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlereddevil View Post
Nevermind about voting for the Party, if your MP stinks you're never going to get your voice properly heard.
I still think this is a fallacy.

Do you think that people who live in Calgary Centre or Calgary Centre North or Calgary Northeast are somehow having their voices heard any better or worse than those in Calgary West? If you can name the MPs of those ridings without looking them up and list any initiatives they have undertaken for their constituents, you are a better man than I.

It would be nice if we actually had a representative system but we don't. We have a centrally controlled party system and most Canadians vote for the platform, not the MP.

I've voted against Anders several times in his nomination battles over the years and I wouldn't be surprised if someone credible runs against him this time around who might have a chance but until that happens, his party will keep nominating him and his constituents will keep electing him, regardless of him being an utter tool.
Bownesian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 11:50 AM   #51
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

1. I have no use for anders and wish he would lose the conservative nomination.

2. There remains a large element of the federal liberal party who wants to see a Green Shift and the move to tax carbon.

Ignatief was pro oilsands, but he fLamed out and was replaced by an ndp premier.

Therefore, the conservatives are the choice for albertan jobs, which is why that riding elects conservatives.

The best chance is to beat anders at the riding nomination level.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:51 AM   #52
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parallex View Post
rotflmao

... you don't really believe that do you?

Barring an epic non-transitory collapse in the price of oil, I'll pube bet you right now that no government shuts down the oil sands at any point before petroleum based fuel is rendered effectively obsolete in the developed world.
Stephan dion and his coalition say hello
Old 03-03-2012, 11:53 AM   #53
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingreen View Post
Declaring Nelson Mandela a communist terrorist is a small price to pay to keep those oil sands running.
As someone who has travelled through south Africa and seen first hand where Mandela came from it disgusts me that anders would embarrass all canadiens with such stupid comments.

He Should have been tossed from the party at that moment
Old 03-03-2012, 11:56 AM   #54
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
The Liberals don't want to shut down the oilsands either; frankly were it not for the Liberals and their provision of some of the tax credits and such the oilsands wouldn't be as developed as it is today. To suggest anything else is basically revisionist history.

I definitely understand the stupidity of wanting to shutdown the oilsands, but let's not confuse the NDP/Greens with the other parties here. Another point is that if Anders was to lose his seat it doesn't mean that the Liberals or NDP are swept to power. It would be a fairly obvious vote against a candidate, specifically if the replacing MP was an independent.
You are forgetting the green shift and the coalition.
Old 03-03-2012, 12:04 PM   #55
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You are forgetting the green shift and the coalition.
The green shift wasn't to shut down the oilsands; there is an enormous difference here. I do have increasing concerns with how the rest of the country views the oil and resource wealth of Alberta though. I have concerns about how this province views its own oil wealth though, so it's not a particular party that concerns me.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 12:06 PM   #56
RougeUnderoos
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Stephan dion and his coalition say hello
It sounds to me like you are trying to justify voting for this moron, and that justification is something that is not going to happen.

The Conservatives have only been in power for six of the last 20 years (give or take). The big dig didn't start in 2006.

RougeUnderoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 12:11 PM   #57
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RougeUnderoos View Post
It sounds to me like you are trying to justify voting for this moron, and that justification is something that is not going to happen.

The Conservatives have only been in power for six of the last 20 years (give or take). The big dig didn't start in 2006.
Hardly.

If you bother to read the above I say the guy disgusts me. I go one step further and say that the best way to get rid of him is at the nomination level.

I reject any premise that conservative supporters are mindless lemmings that lefties try and claim. With anders people must be pinching their nose when they mark his name

Last edited by killer_carlson; 03-03-2012 at 12:16 PM.
killer_carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 12:14 PM   #58
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
The green shift wasn't to shut down the oilsands; there is an enormous difference here. I do have increasing concerns with how the rest of the country views the oil and resource wealth of Alberta though. I have concerns about how this province views its own oil wealth though, so it's not a particular party that concerns me.
The green shift was to move to a carbon based economy which would have resulted in n enormous wealth transfer out of Alberta to central Canada. It also would have guaranteed no further foreign investment would have happened. It was not explicit that it would shut down the oilsands but the effect was patently obvious.
Old 03-03-2012, 12:19 PM   #59
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
You are forgetting the green shift
No, I'm not. The green shift wouldn't have "shut down" the oilsands. To say otherwise is fraudulently misleading hyperbole.

Regardless, none of that has anything to do with Anders. Guy is a waste of space, an embarrassment frankly. I've met the guy twice... made my skin crawl both times. I have no expectation of having another party candidate defeat him in a general but for the life of me I don't get why the Tories don't nominate someone else. Seriously, the CPC caucus losing him would be addition by subtraction.

Quote:
I reject any premise that conservative supporters are mindless lemmings that lefties try and claim.
Not all of them... but I'll go on and say that any conservative supporters who vote for Rob Anders are mindless lemmings.

Last edited by Parallex; 03-03-2012 at 12:22 PM.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 12:30 PM   #60
Jiggy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

It really pisses me off how my hard earned money goes to pay this losers salary. This country has a lot of hard working people that work long hours to make ends meat, some whom could use all the money that they pay toward taxes. Then you have this idiot, who could probably care less on how much others go through to pay his salary. My dislike for politicians grows every day.
Jiggy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anders , calgary west , dumbass