Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2012, 03:09 PM   #21
NuclearPizzaMan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydorn View Post
Honest question, who keeps voting for this guy?

Is there anyone on CP who will admit to putting the X next to Rob Anders' name on the ballot? I get that many vote for their party regardless of candidate, but you'd think Anders has proven incompetent enough to even get dyed in the wool conservatives to rethink it.
People who vote based solely on the party leader, people who vote based on party affiliation, drunks...

You really overestimate your average voter if you think they recognize the name of the person they are voting for.
NuclearPizzaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 03:10 PM   #22
Bertuzzied
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

Is there anyone on CP who will admit to putting the X next to Rob Anders' name on the ballot? I get that many vote for their party regardless of candidate, but you'd think Anders has proven incompetent enough to even get dyed in the wool conservatives to rethink it.
He is in my riding and every election it's anybody but Anders for me and my family and friends. But you have the idiot conservatives who just keep voting for this piece of crap every time no matter what he does.
Bertuzzied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 03:13 PM   #23
First Lady
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I have no idea how he remains in the CPC caucus, its really a mystery.
He door knocks between elections.
First Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 03:25 PM   #24
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by First Lady View Post
With antics like this (specifically his comments about the vets, not only the sleeping) I can't see why the CPC doesn't force him out though. They have a large enough majority that one seat won't matter, and the veterans (who in this case are both CPC supporters) should be given more respect.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 03:40 PM   #25
Bertuzzied
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by First Lady View Post
yeah i highly doubt that..... if it is, it's probably 4 houses an election for a photo op.

I know this guy from university. He's lucky to be in parliament because he signed up early to be with the Reform Party. He brings nothing to the plate.
Old 03-02-2012, 03:46 PM   #26
Mtt48
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I voted for him. Not because of him at all but because of the party. If there was anyone else on the ballot at all worthwhile I would have easily voted for them.
Mtt48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 03:53 PM   #27
Ashartus
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolmk14 View Post
I'm surprised a somewhat capable independent candidate hasn't tried to take a chunk out of Anders' support in Calgary West. The guy doesn't do anything and the votes keep coming.

Maybe I'll run against him next election. Are there enough CalgaryPuckers in Calgary West for a Jihad?!
There was someone I thought was a reasonably credible independent 2 elections ago, who even pretty much implied that he was basically a Conservative, but he didn't do very well. Too many people vote for the party without considering the candidate at all (and given how the parties whip their MPs to vote along party lines rather than for their constituency, I can't say as I blame them).
Ashartus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 03:55 PM   #28
edn88
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I am in his riding, and we vote Green party as a protest vote.
Old 03-02-2012, 03:57 PM   #29
Regular_John
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtt48 View Post
I voted for him. Not because of him at all but because of the party. If there was anyone else on the ballot at all worthwhile I would have easily voted for them.
Just to play devil's advocate here. do you think having him as an MP does more collective good or harm? Is knowing he'll always vote along party lines enough to tolerate his public gaffes?
Regular_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 04:08 PM   #30
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Just to play devil's advocate here. do you think having him as an MP does more collective good or harm? Is knowing he'll always vote along party lines enough to tolerate his public gaffes?
Personally I'd rather have an MP that votes with respect to what their constituents want, but rarely does an MP actually query their riding to see what they actually want.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 04:22 PM   #31
mac_82
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

How many car accidents has this guy been in?
mac_82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 05:38 PM   #32
Bertuzzied
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

It wouldn't surprise me if he was ROBO CALLER: Pierre Poutine
Old 03-02-2012, 11:42 PM   #33
Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Since I disagree with his party's line at least two thirds of the time, obviously not for me. The fact that he is probably the most offensive Conservative MP is just salt in the wound really.

I grew up in Wildwood and Strathcona (living in these communities for at least 8 years of the reign of Rob Anders) and I never understood how Anders kept being elected. The vast majority of my friends and neighbours seemed like reasonable, liberal (at least socially), concerned citizens. How could they vote for Anders? (I doubt many of them did, but someone had to?)
Old 03-03-2012, 12:30 AM   #34
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Don't blame me. I voted for Kodos!
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yeah_Baby For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2012, 12:36 AM   #35
kn
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertuzzied View Post
I know this guy from university. He's lucky to be in parliament because he signed up early to be with the Reform Party. He brings nothing to the plate.
I went to school with him as well. In a previous life, I was involved with the Reform Party. After Harper left politics, there were about a dozen candidates trying to take over Calgary West, knowing it would be a cushy job for life. How did he win? At the nomination meeting, he brought in all the students from university willing to vote for him. When the candidates' speeches were going on in the gym, it was filled mostly with seniors trying to decide for whom to vote. Meanwhile, Anders was outside glad-handing with the swarm of students who showed up. They were there just to vote for him, no matter who else was running. He also worked the audience better than any of the others, interacting with everyone.

Simply put, he sold more memberships than anyone else and got out the vote. The other candidates probably thought (wrongly) that they could convince the audience with their speeches and ideas.

Last edited by kn; 03-03-2012 at 12:45 AM.
kn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 09:34 AM   #36
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
He is in my riding and every election it's anybody but Anders for me and my family and friends. But you have the idiot conservatives who just keep voting for this piece of crap every time no matter what he does.
Idiot conservatives?

You mean the only ones who don't want to shut down the oilsands?

Idiot
Old 03-03-2012, 09:37 AM   #37
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Idiot conservatives?

Idiot

I can't stand anders either but I certainly know what party is going to keep my clients and their clients in business.
Old 03-03-2012, 09:57 AM   #38
tenyardrambo
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:

There is not much to choose from
tenyardrambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 10:15 AM   #39
Bownesian
Scoring Winger

Exp:

In other words, he won because he was the better campaigner, was organized and understood the nomination process.

He probably would have lost one of the many nomination battles he's had to fight over the years if the Calgary West nomination had ever been contested by a credible candidate who was actually a Conservative rather than a Liberal plant. That said, the reality of our system of government is we have too many MPs for the amount of work that they do so there will always be plugs whose only job is to stand up when the Whip tells you to.

If you agree with the party line, you'll probably hold your nose and vote for Anders as thousands of us have done. If you are a partisan for another party (as many people who beat this drum every time Anders makes it clear he's a knob), you can pretend you are campaigning against him on a non-partisan basis when you would campaign against him even if he were an ideal MP.

If you're somewhere in-between and think your MP actually represents or reflects your constituency in some meaningful way, you're probably deluded about what a back bench MP really can do. It's jaded but true. Now that MPs represent dozens of times more people per riding than they did in the 19th century, it's time to be realistic with our notions about how federal politics works.
Bownesian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 10:25 AM   #40
RougeUnderoos
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_carlson View Post
Idiot conservatives?

Idiot

I can't stand anders either but I certainly know what party is going to keep my clients and their clients in business.
Do you think getting rid of Anders is going to shut down the tarsands?

He's an embarrassment to conservatives/Conservatives everywhere. How long are people going to hold their noses and continue to vote for this incompetent boob? Can't they find a competent Conservative to put in there?

He's proven himself a fool time and time again.

RougeUnderoos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anders , calgary west , dumbass