Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2017, 01:57 PM   #21
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commandant View Post
I don't need to remind you guys what the difference between that level of goaltending (2015-16) and league average goaltending (Cgy in 2016-17) can do for a club.
But you did....twice
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 02:11 PM   #22
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You missed something kind of important....

You also have to remember that the year Price was hurt, the Habs (a raw rookie in Condon and failed goalie in Scrivens) had the second worst save percentage in the NHL. The team with the worst that year? Calgary.

I don't need to remind you guys what the difference between that level of goaltending (2015-16) and league average goaltending (Cgy in 2016-17) can do for a club.

The 2015-16 Habs are a bubble playoff team with league average goaltending instead of league basement goaltending behind price. Hence why they went out and signed Montoya (after the season) and Lindgren (late in the year out of college).

For those who look at advanced stats, the 2016-17 Habs were a top 5 team in CF% and Fenwick%, they aren't as bad as you think.

Now you pay a goalie $10.5M per season to watch him play most of those years past his prime. The Habs core is aging and they could quite possibly be the worst team up the middle of any team in the league. They traded Subban for a worse player 4 years older. They traded their top prospect for a young entitled winger who now is only really replacing Radulov.

Great goaltending, average D corp, great left wings, mediocre right wings, putrid centre depth.

Price might carry the team to the playoffs and they will play a structured defensive style but the team is going nowhere and will play a very boring brand of hockey.

I think with the moves made by Bergiven this summer they are likely a bubble team next season.

Calgary got better this summer and are loaded with young players that are still trending up.

Edmonton has the best player in the league not named Crosby and several other young players that could get better.

Toronto loaded with young talent that will get better. Marleau could be a solid addition.

Winnipeg is a team loaded with young improving players and finally have a new goalie.

Ottawa has a team that went deep last year. Chabot has a lot of hype around him but I am far from convinced they will duplicate what they did last year.

Vancouver is a tire fire but hilarious enough they have at least 2 centers on their roster that would be number 1 on the Habs.

In summary. Montreal is likely annywherw from the third to 6th best Canadian team. Their best 2 young players have had attitude issues in their young careers. Drouin might work out but the Galchenyuk rumors persist.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2017, 02:27 PM   #23
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Galchenyuk rumours? I've heard zero attitude rumours about him and i'll bet I follow them more closely than you.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 02:31 PM   #24
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post
Galchenyuk rumours? I've heard zero attitude rumours about him and i'll bet I follow them more closely than you.
http://www.hockeyinsideout.com/news/...ept-his-advice

Took me 2 seconds to find an article on his lack of character. He has been in trade rumors all summer and signed a 3 year deal that takes him to UFA at 26. The guy scored 30 as a 22 year old why is he not a long term piece?

Last edited by Vinny01; 07-25-2017 at 02:34 PM.
Old 07-25-2017, 02:31 PM   #25
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Also, from the host of the TSN690 Morning Show:
@mckennaconor
My understanding is any Habs negative feelings toward Galchenyuk have more to do with off-ice than on.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2017, 02:36 PM   #26
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well, I guess I need to pay attention more.

I'm looking forward to seeing him under a real coach for a full season.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 02:44 PM   #27
Commandant
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Weber being four years older than Subban is a future concern. I grant that down the road he will decline sooner than Subban will. I never liked the trade.

Is it a concern that Weber is suddenly going to start sucking this year? No. He's 31 today. Its not something that should be a concern for this year.

The wing depth.... I'd call Right Wing (Drouin, Gallagher, Shaw) a little better than mediocre.

Yes Centre is a huge problem. As I said, thats the difference between them being a 7-12 team in the NHL, and a true contender.

They really have to hope that Galchenyuk becomes that Centre... cause even with a ton of cap space, Bergevin has been unable to acquire that Centre.

I think he's done fine at improving the team in small increments by nibbling at the edges... but he needs to make a big move, and the last big move is a questionable one long term. Again I think in the short term its one elite defenceman for another, but the new guy is older, so I don't like the trade.(Subban/Weber).

He's still got 8.46 million sitting there with a full roster. He needs a LHD and a C. Not impossible (assume in any trade that some money will leave).

-------------

Personally I'd sign Markov 1 year at 5 million. Give Stephane DaCosta a tryout deal, 1 year at 2 million. That leaves about 2.5 million for the deadline (he has 23 men on the roster at that 8.5 million in space, so two guys in, means two cheap contracts go to the AHL).

Look for Galchenyuk to hopefully take the reigns at Centre. If not, you'll be a playoff team, go for your centre at the deadline.

New article every day.

Last edited by Commandant; 07-25-2017 at 02:49 PM.
Commandant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 02:55 PM   #28
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Its a little more than that.

Galchenyuk scored 58 points in 15-16, was on pace (minus injuries) for 60 last year.

Petry is a solid top 4 defender now that he isn't asked to be the #1 like he was in Edmonton. On the second pair, he's a good player.

They added Drouin and Alzner.

Gallagher and Lehkonen look like 2nd line wingers, Shaw can play a good role on the third line. Byron scored over 20 goals.

They have 8.5 million to spend... put Markov back on that team, and they are again competing for their division.

They realistically need two pieces a LHD (Markov) and a #1 C (who the #### knows where you get that) from being a true cup contender. Right now they are in that tier just below, not quite a cup contender but good enough to win their division.

I look around the league and realistically when a say Cup Contender, we are talking like 5 or 6 teams. They are in the tier right below that until they can get a #1 C.

Of course and I'm not saying Drouin, Shaw, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, or Petry are bad players or anything, but I just see a lack of identity with the team as whole.

It seems weird to me that Galchenyuk's name has been in trade rumors for over a year now.

It seems weird to me that they chose Therrien over Subban only to can Therrien mid season.

The Price contract kicks in next year which will hamper them even more.

I like Drouin, but Sergachev was basically their only stud prospect.

It just seems like this year is their year to compete for a cup, but I just don't see this team doing it. Too many question marks.

Again, that isn't to say they are a bad team. I think they are above average for sure, but I don't ever see them getting over the hump with the lack of identity. I've been wrong before though so who knows!
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 03:05 PM   #29
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Weber being four years older than Subban is a future concern. I grant that down the road he will decline sooner than Subban will. I never liked the trade.

Is it a concern that Weber is suddenly going to start sucking this year? No. He's 31 today. Its not something that should be a concern for this year.

The wing depth.... I'd call Right Wing (Drouin, Gallagher, Shaw) a little better than mediocre.

Yes Centre is a huge problem. As I said, thats the difference between them being a 7-12 team in the NHL, and a true contender.

They really have to hope that Galchenyuk becomes that Centre... cause even with a ton of cap space, Bergevin has been unable to acquire that Centre.

I think he's done fine at improving the team in small increments by nibbling at the edges... but he needs to make a big move, and the last big move is a questionable one long term. Again I think in the short term its one elite defenceman for another, but the new guy is older, so I don't like the trade.(Subban/Weber).

He's still got 8.46 million sitting there with a full roster. He needs a LHD and a C. Not impossible (assume in any trade that some money will leave).

-------------

Personally I'd sign Markov 1 year at 5 million. Give Stephane DaCosta a tryout deal, 1 year at 2 million. That leaves about 2.5 million for the deadline (he has 23 men on the roster at that 8.5 million in space, so two guys in, means two cheap contracts go to the AHL).

Look for Galchenyuk to hopefully take the reigns at Centre. If not, you'll be a playoff team, go for your centre at the deadline.
Weber is 32 in 3 weeks and he should be okay the next 3-4 years but is he a $7.8M number 1 D? Tough to say

I also thought Drouin was a left shot left wing which is why I think the Habs have a very strong left side (Drouin, Patches, Galchenyuk). Gallagher is alright but Ahaw is pretty mediocre so the right side is about as weak as Calgary. Now if Drouin is on the right side that changes things as I would say the Habs have 4 pretty solid guys on the wing

If Galchenyuk is a centre you lose one of those good wingers. By all intents and purposes there are not many people in the organization that believe Galchenyuk is a centre.

I think the Habs have moved onto the treadmill for the foreseeable. They are a good team that can fight for the playoffs but lack multiple centers to ever be a contender. With their number 1 D and goalie signed to massive deals that they will play out in their 30's it becomes even harder to win.

Personally if the Habs have that much cap space they should be the team that strongly considers an offer sheet for either a Draisaitl or Horvat. They could use a young top line C and lack the assets to acquire one via trade. If they could clear enough to give Draisaitl $9Mx7 I think it makes things tough on the Oilers to match.
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
bax
Old 07-25-2017, 03:06 PM   #30
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Montreal n'est pas bon.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2017, 03:08 PM   #31
IgiTang
Self-Retired

Exp:

Quote:
No one?

Even-strength goals in past three #NHL seasons Tarasenko 87 Kane 77 Ovechkin 75 Crosby 74 Marchand 74 Pacioretty 74
Don't forget SPaul!!! You know, Trelivings biggest mistake?!?
IgiTang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 03:46 PM   #32
Commandant
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bax View Post
Of course and I'm not saying Drouin, Shaw, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, or Petry are bad players or anything, but I just see a lack of identity with the team as whole.

It seems weird to me that Galchenyuk's name has been in trade rumors for over a year now.

It seems weird to me that they chose Therrien over Subban only to can Therrien mid season.

The Price contract kicks in next year which will hamper them even more.

I like Drouin, but Sergachev was basically their only stud prospect.

It just seems like this year is their year to compete for a cup, but I just don't see this team doing it. Too many question marks.

Again, that isn't to say they are a bad team. I think they are above average for sure, but I don't ever see them getting over the hump with the lack of identity. I've been wrong before though so who knows!
Price's money is taken care of. Plekanec is 6 million and expiring. That is a 4 million raise to Price and 2 million left over. Plekanec has dropped off dramatically which is a major reason for the problems at Centre.

Drouin vs Sergachev, a 19 year old unproven (but very high ceiling) prospect for a 22 year old semi-proven player with a hugely high ceiling as well. I have no problem with such a move. If Drouin was 27, I would have an issue, but you have to give to get.

The Subban move was dumb, agreed.

Galchenyuk is in rumors... that doesn't mean he's been moved. It also doesn't mean that Montreal is selling him for pennies on the dollar. Rumors are just rumors, and a trade can be judged if/when its made and the return is known. Until then he has a chance to be the Habs number 1 centre. I liken his situation to where Nazem Kadri was 2 years ago.... look at Kadri now.

As for this year being the year to compete for a cup... the top 6 forward group is very young.... Pacioretty is 28, Drouin is 22, Galchenyuk 23, Lehkonen 22, Gallagher 25, Danault 25. They have some time at forward.

New article every day.
The Following User Says Thank You to Commandant For This Useful Post:
bax
Old 07-25-2017, 03:51 PM   #33
Commandant
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Weber is 32 in 3 weeks and he should be okay the next 3-4 years but is he a $7.8M number 1 D? Tough to say

I also thought Drouin was a left shot left wing which is why I think the Habs have a very strong left side (Drouin, Patches, Galchenyuk). Gallagher is alright but Ahaw is pretty mediocre so the right side is about as weak as Calgary. Now if Drouin is on the right side that changes things as I would say the Habs have 4 pretty solid guys on the wing

If Galchenyuk is a centre you lose one of those good wingers. By all intents and purposes there are not many people in the organization that believe Galchenyuk is a centre.

I think the Habs have moved onto the treadmill for the foreseeable. They are a good team that can fight for the playoffs but lack multiple centers to ever be a contender. With their number 1 D and goalie signed to massive deals that they will play out in their 30's it becomes even harder to win.

Personally if the Habs have that much cap space they should be the team that strongly considers an offer sheet for either a Draisaitl or Horvat. They could use a young top line C and lack the assets to acquire one via trade. If they could clear enough to give Draisaitl $9Mx7 I think it makes things tough on the Oilers to match.
Left side is Pacioretty, Lehkonen, Byron, Hudon to start the year
Right side is Drouin (can play both), Gallagher, Shaw, Hemsky

The Habs have 8 wingers without counting Galchenyuk... they are terrible at Centre. Galchenyuk will likely be at Centre. If not Galchenyuk at Centre then Drouin will be at centre, and Galchenyuk could go on either wing. One of those two will be a centre, they have no choice at this point.

The other centres will be Danault, Plekanec, and Torrey Mitchell. So one of Drouin/Galchenyuk will be at Centre.

I think the Oilers match an offer on Draisaitl at 9 million but I'm not opposed to it.

As for shaw, yeah, he is what he is. As a third line RW, I don't think he's a bad option. (overpriced, sure, he's overpriced by about a million).

New article every day.

Last edited by Commandant; 07-25-2017 at 03:55 PM.
Old 07-27-2017, 08:10 AM   #34
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Amanda Stein‏Verified account
@amandacstein
Follow
More
BREAKING: #Habs announce Andrei Markov will not return next season. #TSN690

Markov is holding a press conference call with reporters this afternoon

Retirement?