Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

View Poll Results: Best guess at Sam Bennett's contract
2 years $6M ($3/) 34 5.57%
2 years $5.5M 62 10.16%
2 years $5M 105 17.21%
2 years $4.5M 118 19.34%
2 years $4M 55 9.02%
3 years $9M 53 8.69%
3 years $8.25M 47 7.70%
3 years $7.5M 54 8.85%
3 years $6.75M 30 4.92%
3 years $6M 10 1.64%
1 year deal 8 1.31%
Long Term deal 34 5.57%
Voters: 610. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-25-2017, 07:54 PM   #201
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Because you know....maybe there is?

Maybe there is. But I see no reason whatsoever to think so at this stage. It is still really early, and multi-million dollar negotiations are quite often complicated.

I am positive that everything is fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 08:05 PM   #202
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Maybe there is. But I see no reason whatsoever to think so at this stage. It is still really early, and multi-million dollar negotiations are quite often complicated.

I am positive that everything is fine.
In reality, it's not "really early" at all. There have been somewhere in the neighborhood of 150 deals signed since July 1 alone and most are "multi-million" dollar contracts.

Bennetts camp has been talking to the team since season end...that's 3 months worth of time. Every single other guy under the Flames RFA banner has been signed. That's not to say there isnt lot's of time left to get it done, but there is something clearly holding things up.
Old 07-25-2017, 08:12 PM   #203
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not everything gets done in the first 3 weeks of July. There's an entire 2 months left until the season officially starts.

Monahan re-signed on August 19th, Gio re-signed on August 25th. Does anybody remember the gong show of CP where it took until like October 10th for Gaudreau to be inked? At least THAT was a delay.

This is simply people looking at a lack of information and creating something from nothing.
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anduril For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2017, 09:01 PM   #204
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Time to bust out the Aaron Rodgers quote?

R-E-L-A-X
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2017, 09:51 PM   #205
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

There are still 40 unsigned RFAs league-wide. The Flames have 3.

Pastrnak and Draisaitl are both still unsigned.
Old 07-25-2017, 09:53 PM   #206
H2SO4(aq)
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
Time to bust out the Aaron Rodgers quote?

R-E-L-A-X
hahah wow no kidding.

It's like we forgot about last summer and the angst around Monahan, and then Johnny. Did Dustin Boyd sign yet?
H2SO4(aq) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 10:03 PM   #207
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

Unfortunately, the lateness of the Gaudreau signing definitely affected the team negatively
Old 07-25-2017, 10:05 PM   #208
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
In reality, it's not "really early" at all. There have been somewhere in the neighborhood of 150 deals signed since July 1 alone and most are "multi-million" dollar contracts.

Bennetts camp has been talking to the team since season end...that's 3 months worth of time. Every single other guy under the Flames RFA banner has been signed. That's not to say there isnt lot's of time left to get it done, but there is something clearly holding things up.
Bennett's camp knows how much cap space the flames have to work with and they also know that the flames don't want this dragging into the season or training camp. Bennett didn't have a spectacular season by any means and doesn't have arbitration rights so their only leverage to get more than market value is to put pressure on the flames by having them worry that it could become an early season distraction. Not that I think treliving will panic, but the agent wouldn't be doing his job if he was exhausting all options to get his client more money.
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 11:04 PM   #209
Greybeard
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy_oi View Post
Bennett's camp knows how much cap space the flames have to work with and they also know that the flames don't want this dragging into the season or training camp. Bennett didn't have a spectacular season by any means and doesn't have arbitration rights so their only leverage to get more than market value is to put pressure on the flames by having them worry that it could become an early season distraction. Not that I think treliving will panic, but the agent wouldn't be doing his job if he was exhausting all options to get his client more money.
At this point Bennett is not at the same level Johnny or Monahan were last year... he quite simply is not performing to the same performance measures they were going into this negotiation. So, he does not have the same leverage and the Flames might just be more willing to give Janko a shot at it and let Bennett stew for a while than to buckle under. Tre has to look at long term Cap issues and cannot let Bennett hold him to ransom and set dangerous precedents. This may be over before the season starts, but only if Bennett is realistic about his demands and is okay with getting paid to the level he has performed at to date... not what he thinks his potential is.
Greybeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 11:15 PM   #210
Zulu29
Franchise Player

Exp:

I get Bennett wants to cash in but at the same time, I can't see how he doesn't look long term, take a 2 year deal then soak the Flames after he's instrumental in 2 Cup wins!
Zulu29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 03:31 AM   #211
Cgycowboy
Backup Goalie

Exp:

This Bennett delay is really putting a hold on signing Jagr or Iginla. What about that jankowski though ?

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk
Cgycowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 07:23 AM   #212
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

His line mates for part of the season weren't a big help to his numbers. I could see the negotiation being tough as you argue underlying numbers. Not too worried.
Old 07-26-2017, 08:22 AM   #213
Crumpy-Gunt
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Id go for a nashville style deal. Very long term and medium money. Something around 3 or 4 per for 7 years with tons of bonuses
Crumpy-Gunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 08:27 AM   #214
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumpy-Gunt View Post
Id go for a nashville style deal. Very long term and medium money. Something around 3 or 4 per for 7 years with tons of bonuses

There is no option for Sam Bennett to sign a bonus-laden contract. Bonuses are only legal on ELCs and +35-deals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 08:35 AM   #215
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

It is wishful thinking to believe Bennett is going to sign a long term deal and if he did the Flames massively overpay for his services. I would think he wouldn't even consider 6-7 years of the cap hitnis under $5M. Flames shouldn't be rewarding strictly potential. Monahan and Gaudreau both had multiple 60pt seasons and were top line players so they deserved their long term big money deals.

Bennett should accept something in the 2x2-2.5 range. The way the contracts seem to be going if Bennett breaks out in those 2 years he could command more money than either Monahan or Gaudreau when his bridge expires.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 08:51 AM   #216
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
It is wishful thinking to believe Bennett is going to sign a long term deal and if he did the Flames massively overpay for his services. I would think he wouldn't even consider 6-7 years of the cap hitnis under $5M. Flames shouldn't be rewarding strictly potential. Monahan and Gaudreau both had multiple 60pt seasons and were top line players so they deserved their long term big money deals.

Bennett should accept something in the 2x2-2.5 range. The way the contracts seem to be going if Bennett breaks out in those 2 years he could command more money than either Monahan or Gaudreau when his bridge expires.

Yes that's the one side of the argument, but the other side makes sense too. Do you think Nashville regrets locking Josi in at 4 million a year for 7 years?
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 08:52 AM   #217
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It wouldn't shock me if a 2 year deal isn't even on the table from the Flames side. It makes very little sense from a cap management point of view.

I see this deal as being 3 years or longer, which means yes - the cap hit may be slightly higher based on what he did last year, but likely a steal going forward.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 08:55 AM   #218
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It is wishful thinking to believe Bennett is going to sign a long term deal and if he did the Flames massively overpay for his services. I would think he wouldn't even consider 6-7 years of the cap hitnis under $5M.

Bennett should accept something in the 2x2-2.5 range.
You think Bennett wouldn't accept a 6 year contract under 5M but think he should accept a 2 year contract for 2M a year?

Year 1: 2
Year 2: 2
Year 3: 6.5
Year 4: 6.5
Year 5: 6.5
Year 6: 6.5
AAV: 5M

He'd have to make at least 6.5M a year to make up the difference if he signed a bridge contract for 2M a year. Those include mostly RFA years, and he'd be a UFA at 28. You're right that Bennett won't get a long term contract worth 5M, but that's because it's Treliving who won't put it on the table. His agent would have to make a blood sacrifice to Satan to even have this contract considered.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2017, 10:05 AM   #219
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bax View Post
Yes that's the one side of the argument, but the other side makes sense too. Do you think Nashville regrets locking Josi in at 4 million a year for 7 years?
Do you think that Josi regrets that deal? I bet he does considering he could get nearly twice as much per season now than he currently gets paid.

I see the benefits from the Flames side and if Bennett was willing to take the exact same 7 year 28M deal as Josi I would be overjoyed. I just do not see that being appealing for Bennett who was a top 4 pick.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 10:10 AM   #220
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Do you think that Josi regrets that deal? I bet he does considering he could get nearly twice as much per season now than he currently gets paid.

I see the benefits from the Flames side and if Bennett was willing to take the exact same 7 year 28M deal as Josi I would be overjoyed. I just do not see that being appealing for Bennett who was a top 4 pick.

Of course. When you were arguing the Flames shouldn't be paying for potential I thought your argument was that the Flames wouldn't touch a long term deal for Bennett, which I don't think would be the case.

There is obviously risk for both sides, but 28-30 million in guaranteed money isn't anything to turn your nose at. Some players would prefer to just get that stability. Arvidsson just did it.
bax is offline   Reply With Quote