Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-25-2017, 11:13 PM   #7601
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilyfan View Post
Edmonton Folk Fest, and the Fringe are world class festivals. Heritage Days is a great multicultural festival too.
Is Edmonton's fringe even better than Saskatoon's? It's certainly worse than Winnipeg's. And I don't really think any of them qualify as 'world class'. Fringe isn't exactly Broadway. And Folk Fest is pretty much the same in cities across Canada. Edmonton doesn't even get Bare Naked Ladies or City and Colour.

Edmonton claiming they are 'The Festival City' is no different than when they claimed they were the 'City of Champions'. It's just propaganda aimed at keeping edmontonians happy/deluded.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mikephoen For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2017, 11:17 PM   #7602
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Edmonton does have that cool international festival that they host during the summer. I remember going to that as a kid, but besides that the city is a dump. Non-existent downtown culture and it's sad that the selling point to tourists is a mall and an arena. I'm sure locals don't even care for that old and falling apart mall either, it's cool to visit, but I doubt it's something you'd want to see more than a couple of times a year.
Old 07-25-2017, 11:27 PM   #7603
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love View Post
Edmonton does have that cool international festival that they host during the summer. I remember going to that as a kid, but besides that the city is a dump. Non-existent downtown culture and it's sad that the selling point to tourists is a mall and an arena. I'm sure locals don't even care for that old and falling apart mall either, it's cool to visit, but I doubt it's something you'd want to see more than a couple of times a year.
Being that people died on the roller coaster in that mall they should count their blessings the place is even open. However, humbleness & gratitude are not the defining characteristic of thee uhm... self proclaimed "City of Champions".
The Following User Says Thank You to Boreal For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2017, 03:05 AM   #7604
old-fart
Franchise Player

Exp:

Edmonton suggesting they are the festival city is laughable. Montréal beats them by a factor of 100 for festivals in the summer. It really isn't remotely close.

Nobody outside of Edmonton gives two craps about Edmonton's festivals.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to old-fart For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2017, 08:17 AM   #7605
Flashpoint
Not the 1 millionth post winnar

Exp:
Flames

Quote:
Originally Posted by old-fart View Post
Nobody outside of Edmonton gives two craps about Edmonton.
Fixed.

Oilers give up a pick and a player to take on 5.5 mil."
-Bax
The Following User Says Thank You to Flashpoint For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2017, 09:27 AM   #7606
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Edmonton Folk Fest, and the Fringe are world class festivals. Heritage Days is a great multicultural festival too.
I've heard little to nothing of either. If they're world class, don't you think I should be hearing more about them being in such close proximity?

I've heard more of Edmonton's failed imitations of the Stampede than those. And I still don't know what K-days is.

Perhaps you need to get out and travel a bit to really determine whether they're world class. Seems most Edmontonians don't get out a lot, but look at something in their city and just proclaim it's the best there is because it's the best that's available to them and that's what the people in the TV tell them.

Thing with Calgary is the hordes of tourists come through and actually tell us the area is world class. Do you hear such things from first timers that go through Edmonton?
Old 07-26-2017, 09:30 AM   #7607
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Edmonton's festivals are overrated and I live here.
The Following User Says Thank You to kukkudo For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2017, 09:59 AM   #7608
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

they've had a tough week up there.

First they had the bedlam last weekend over that Hockey News article that sent Edmontonians into a rage.

That cave way to the Nurse vs Hamilton odd debate on Twitter

Staples goes into Chiarelli support mode

Then yesterday the google image of Edmonton has them in a snot

Overall there's always the damn the analytics on the Russell contract issue simmering

Then today Eklund writes an article about Matthews exceeding McDavid sending Staples et al into another lather.

Why do these guys take this all so seriously?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2017, 10:11 AM   #7609
I_H8_Crawford
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post

First they had the bedlam last weekend over that Hockey News article that sent Edmontonians into a rage.

Overall there's always the damn the analytics on the Russell contract issue simmering

Then today Eklund writes an article about Matthews exceeding McDavid sending Staples et al into another lather.

It's all they have.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to I_H8_Crawford For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2017, 10:18 AM   #7610
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

They're just suckers with low self-esteem, that need validation that they're team has turned it around and are awesome now because deep down in their heart of heart when they're sitting up at night staring out the cracked window of their ramshackle, social style concrete block apartment buildings listening to their wives eating yo-ho's by the ton that last year was a matter of things going way to perfectly and well. And that a 30+ point improvement is more then likely a fluke that can't be replicated .

So to make themselves feel better they wrap themselves in a false cloak of superiority made up of shaved cat hair and tears and mount a vigorous and often empty defense of anything Oiler or Edmonton negative.

Knowing that for a few brief seconds that they are empowered and have risen beyond their one bed room tenement with the TV with the bent antennae, and the Sally Ann inspired outfit made of burlap and depression medicine containers.

But they know that it will all come crashing down like that time when their wheel of government cheese was delayed by an incompetent Mailman named Joey Joe Joe.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Old 07-26-2017, 10:27 AM   #7611
oilyfan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
I've heard little to nothing of either. If they're world class, don't you think I should be hearing more about them being in such close proximity?

I've heard more of Edmonton's failed imitations of the Stampede than those. And I still don't know what K-days is.

Perhaps you need to get out and travel a bit to really determine whether they're world class. Seems most Edmontonians don't get out a lot, but look at something in their city and just proclaim it's the best there is because it's the best that's available to them and that's what the people in the TV tell them.

Thing with Calgary is the hordes of tourists come through and actually tell us the area is world class. Do you hear such things from first timers that go through Edmonton?
Dude - you need to get off your high horse. I have lived in Calgary for the last 5 years. I love the city, and I can compare it to Edmonton quite objectively. Both cities have their good and bad points. And I have travelled all over the world so perhaps I am not the one talking out of his a**
Old 07-26-2017, 10:27 AM   #7612
IamNotKenKing
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post

Because they have nothing else. Nothing.
Old 07-26-2017, 10:34 AM   #7613
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love View Post
Heritage Days, yeah it's awesome, especially if you're into culture and food. I went pretty much every year I lived there. Edmonton doesn't have anything that can even touch the well-known popularity of the Stampede, but I'll agree they have better summer festivals than us. But that's just to cover up the fact you're in Shelbyville. I guess that's why they beat us in football nearly half the time.

Last edited by Sainters7; 07-26-2017 at 10:57 AM.
Old 07-26-2017, 10:54 AM   #7614
300 MPH Blues
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
1. The bolded part is untrue. Many, many families and shoppers got to West Ed. Don't kid yourself.

2. It's the hipster thing to "avoid tourist traps" in their own city and disparage them. That isn't specifically limited to Edmonton. And even then, it's because locals have likely seen them before and don't need to go again, not because of a conscious effort to avoid tourists, teens, and scuzzy types.
"Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded."
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 300 MPH Blues For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2017, 11:46 AM   #7615
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300 MPH Blues View Post
"Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded."
This thread is like deja vu all over again.
Old 07-26-2017, 12:05 PM   #7616
Ruttiger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Maybe that says more about you than about Edmonton.
Old 07-26-2017, 12:23 PM   #7617
JFK
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Dude - you need to get off your high horse. I have lived in Calgary for the last 5 years. I love the city, and I can compare it to Edmonton quite objectively. Both cities have their good and bad points. And I have travelled all over the world so perhaps I am not the one talking out of his a**
If you've traveled all over you know what a crock it is saying the Edmonton Folk Fest and Fringe are both world class, whatever that means anyway. Edmonton's folk festival is pretty standard, that doesn't mean it's not a blast and a lot of fun but nothing separates it from the many folk or musical festivals happening all over.

As for fringe, the Edinburgh fringe festival is truly world class and the one most known. It spans almost a month and sells well over a million tickets to the 50k shows they put on. 50 000 is a lot more then the 16 000 in Edmonton. Edmonton Fringe is great and I've enjoyed it, but certainly don't toss the world class label on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruttiger View Post
Maybe that says more about you than about Edmonton.
What does it say? That he doesnt like fringe or folk music? Hardly a great comment
The Following User Says Thank You to JFK For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2017, 12:24 PM   #7618
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Glasgow, Bonaroo, Oktoberfest, Coachella. Those are world class festivals. Festivals people will travel from all over purely to attend. Not show up for a cousins wedding and realize "Oh, there's a festival here this weekend? Wait I grew up three hours away with family there and the only person I've ever heard refer to it as the Festival City is them... sarcastically."

Edmonton festivals are probably really fun and well done. But they are not world class sorry.
Old 07-26-2017, 12:24 PM   #7619
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

List of Festivals in Alberta
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...als_in_Alberta
Old 07-26-2017, 12:48 PM   #7620
oilyfan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFK View Post
If you've traveled all over you know what a crock it is saying the Edmonton Folk Fest and Fringe are both world class, whatever that means anyway. Edmonton's folk festival is pretty standard, that doesn't mean it's not a blast and a lot of fun but nothing separates it from the many folk or musical festivals happening all over.

As for fringe, the Edinburgh fringe festival is truly world class and the one most known. It spans almost a month and sells well over a million tickets to the 50k shows they put on. 50 000 is a lot more then the 16 000 in Edmonton. Edmonton Fringe is great and I've enjoyed it, but certainly don't toss the world class label on it.

What does it say? That he doesnt like fringe or folk music? Hardly a great comment
Fine, not world class. But nothing to sneeze at. The Edmonton Fringe Festival is the oldest and largest arts festival in North America. 850,000 attendees to the last one.