Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2017, 10:22 PM   #2341
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here's the final scene from last season with Dany and her fleet sailing to Westeros:

Most of the ships we see are flying the Targaryen colours. There are a few Dornish and Greyjoy ships seen too.

I just rewatched the scenes from this week's episode. When they're discussing the plan of attack, Tyrion says that the Greyjoys are to sail Elaria back to Dorne with the Iron Fleet. They are to pick up the Dornish army and bring them to King's Landing for the siege.

When Elaria is flirting with Yara, she talks about giving her good Dornish wine when they reach Dorne, so I assume that means they haven't yet picked up the army, which is good for Dany. Although, the Dornish army now doesn't have a way to get to King's Landing.

From what is shown, it appears that all of the ships that were attacked by Euron are flying the Greyjoy colours. Dany should still have a large percentage of her fleet.
Old 07-25-2017, 10:28 PM   #2342
gottabekd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

So I was thinking about Tyrion's plan to lay siege to Casterly Rock. It may not matter much anymore since Yara and Theon's fleet was destroyed, Dorne is headless, and Jon Snow might mess everything up with his whining to Dany about the White Walkers.

But we haven't heard much lately about finances and gold. There was a brief scene where Tywin reveals to Cersei that their gold mines have been dry for quite some time. It wasn't clear that Jaime was aware of this. Tyrion was the Master of Coin for the realm, where he learned that in Littlefinger's time they were borrowing a lot from the Iron Bank, but I can't recall if Tyrion understood how precarious the Lannister fortune was.

Again, maybe none of it matters. Since winter is here, it doesn't matter how much gold you have if there is no food to buy. But I still wonder if the Iron Bank will be back. Maybe racking up a debt was part of Littlefinger's plan, or maybe he was embezzling from the realm.

It just seems that there was a fair bit of talk about finances in the earlier seasons. With how other loose ends seem to be wrapping up in this story, I can't help but wonder what role money will play as things unfold in these last episodes.
gottabekd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gottabekd For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2017, 06:53 AM   #2343
Flames89
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
I read a thread on Reddit (in bed) that made the actions of Euron's crew during the fight make a lot more sense. But it's book talk, and I don't want to feel the wrath of the spoiler Nazis.
You should put it in the other thread then. I would be interested.
Flames89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 08:43 AM   #2344
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottabekd View Post
It just seems that there was a fair bit of talk about finances in the earlier seasons. With how other loose ends seem to be wrapping up in this story, I can't help but wonder what role money will play as things unfold in these last episodes.
I hope GOT does not become about economics. Such as Phantom Menace, and the NHL vs. NHLPA.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 08:49 AM   #2345
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
I hope GOT does not become about economics. Such as Phantom Menace, and the NHL vs. NHLPA.
Hard not to have some economics in a series about power and empires.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 09:09 AM   #2346
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
What about a 30 second conversation between a couple guys on the Ironborn side about a potential problem seeing through the fog? Something like that could have made a big difference in developing the scene a lot more.

I agree a lot of stuff isn't practical. Just strange though that a show that spent so much time on dialogue now seems to want to go in a different direction.
Being passed GRRM's books and needing to wrap up in a dozen episodes has a lot to do with that I think. They don't have concrete source material to refer to for the current events. Sounds like GRRM is guiding them to the same planned ending as his series, but they're free reigning a lot of the smaller things now. And the lack of attention to detail in terms of plot developments is showing, alike a lot of shows that don't have source material that addresses all the minor things. Show writing can sure be lazy when needing to progress a plot in a timely manner.

It's too bad. GOT deserved better for how it set up the first number of seasons. Now it has to be put on fast forward and cut out all the little bits that were once there to help fill in the gaps. And we have less brilliant lines and moments because they weren't written out yet. And now we're left with a lot more whys and hows because they don't have the time to walk us through the details. But they're still doing a pretty admirable job given that they no longer have a book to pull out and refer to to really nail down a scene any more.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 09:10 AM   #2347
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

The crown debts and the Iron Bank have been brought up since season 1. Before Joffrey's secret was found out, Ned already became aware of the disturbingly large debt that Littlefinger had acquired as the master of coin.

Tyrion found out the same thing when he was master of coin, a large reason he didn't trust Littlefinger.

The Iron Bank was shown to be powerful enough that even Cersei realized they had to send Mace Tyrell over to grovel for leniency.

If all the Iron Bank did, after years of build up, was support Stannis ten seconds before Stannis left the game, that would be hugely disappointed.

We've been teased about Littlefinger and the Iron Bank for years, something has to come of it.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 09:23 AM   #2348
Superflyer
Close, but no banana.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbo View Post
1) The scene with Grey Worm and Missandei was awkward and went on pretty long. Compared with the rest of he episode, which was moving at a quick pace, felt like it went on too long.
My thought on this one is the whole "You are my weakness" part. It shows them getting together and very close. This leads me to believe that something will happen to her, such as her getting captured then as the Unsullied are kicking ass and taking names then someone, say Cersi, comes out and tells them to drop their weapons or she gets it. Then it comes down to Greyworm having to decide which way to go.
Superflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 09:30 AM   #2349
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
I also think it's important to note that just because something isn't explicitly explained and seems like a plothole it does not mean that it is. I feel like a whole bunch of stuff brought up in this thread is explainable through small details that we missed on the show or by things that could've been easily explained but weren't due to either time or budget constraints on the TV show or it's just straight up nitpicking.
You know most of the stuff I can suspend disbelief in, even stuff now with Euron. Last season with Arya and her escaping Waif was the big thing. Completely out of character for the whole episode with zero caution, stabbed five times by Waif without any significant problems with movement, swam through sewer water with open wounds and no issues (when infection killed others in the show), stitched up by actress who had zero medical training (having stitched up a few exes) especially with massive internal injuries and recovered with no issues.

That episode was plain poor writing and full of plotholes, I am not sure what subtle detail could have been missed from that one.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 10:33 AM   #2350
PegCityFlamesFan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Man it's a tv show that is super entertaining. I can't believe some of the nitpicking people have watching it.
Old 07-26-2017, 10:59 AM   #2351
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's going to be a really unpleasant boat ride back to King's Landing for those three women.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2017, 11:28 AM   #2352
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

How has no one sent a raven to Winterfell to tell Sansa & Jon that Bran's at the Wall?

Of all the things being nitpicked in the first 2 episodes, this is the one I'm confused by the most.
Winsor_Pilates is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 11:34 AM   #2353
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
How has no one sent a raven to Winterfell to tell Sansa & Jon that Bran's at the Wall?

Of all the things being nitpicked in the first 2 episodes, this is the one I'm confused by the most.
There's no Maester at the Wall since Maester Aemon died. Maesters send ravens.
Old 07-26-2017, 12:58 PM   #2354
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

More photos on Flickr

Last edited by Regulator75; 07-26-2017 at 01:03 PM.
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 01:02 PM   #2355
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Spoiler!
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to FlameOn For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2017, 06:39 AM   #2356
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Missed detail that many people may have missed in the episode. If you consider this a potential spoiler then don't read it.

Spoiler!
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2017, 11:53 AM   #2357
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Missed detail that many people may have missed in the episode. If you consider this a potential spoiler then don't read it.

Spoiler!
Actually, viewers could have deciphered that from Jon simply reading the message during the episode. I noticed that omission, and wondered how it may play out.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 12:18 PM   #2358
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

He simply could have felt that if he had put it into the message, Jon wouldn't have come.
Azure is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 01:06 PM   #2359
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

No, there is definitely something to it in my opinion, as it is framed by Olena's criticism of tyrion being a clever man and her ignoring clever men.

3 things happened in that regard during the episode. In the meeting with melissandre tyrion used the line that danny didn't want to be 'queen of the ashes'. Then, in the scene with yara, elaria and olena she used Tyrion's line (tyrion looks up at her with a bit of surprise at recognizing his own words coming out of her mouth). Then the meeting is ended and Olena warns danny about listening to people like Tyrion, who she may just have just subconsciously quoted.

Danny's demeanor is noticeably more aggressive in this season. She's doing a lot of threatening. I believe there could be some drama involved in Jon being the king in the north and danny maybe not believing the white walker stuff.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 02:07 PM   #2360
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Yeah it is definitely setting up for Jon and Dany to not get along straight away. They are gonna be enemies before they are friends (or lovers).

In fact, I could see Bran being the thing that brings them together when he reveals the revelation to them about Jon.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote