Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-15-2017, 04:15 PM   #101
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
You know that they both have some hollywood writer laying this out for them.

Yeah, here's some props, make sure you wear these shoes with lifts.

This has actually reduced my interest in a fight that's going to be boring and lopsided anyways.

This reminds me of the early days of UFC when they experimented with WWE style promo's and micro stories combined with mixed martial arts. They created false rivalries and then hyped them with WWE style pitches.

I watched the tour and I rolled my eyes because it was just so over the top phony.

I'm sure these guys are sitting in a hotel room right now laughing at the rubes.

I mean the cheapest tickets to the show are $500.00 and the most expensive are $10,000. And in the end people are going to complain that the fight was boring and garbage. But it'll be sold out.
You have to admit the promotion has been a massive success as everyone is talking about this fight. I imagine the fight itself will be a dud as Mayweather is probably the worst type of fighter McGregor could face as he's not going to open himself up to getting hit and the only chance McGregor has is to catch him with a power punch which even the best fighters have failed to do against Mayweather.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2017, 05:02 PM   #102
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
You have to admit the promotion has been a massive success as everyone is talking about this fight. I imagine the fight itself will be a dud as Mayweather is probably the worst type of fighter McGregor could face as he's not going to open himself up to getting hit and the only chance McGregor has is to catch him with a power punch which even the best fighters have failed to do against Mayweather.
I think it's actually failed, and because of one simple reason - credibility. People are talking about it because of how ridiculous it is. It's too over the top and contrived. Their goal is to sell PPV's. They've gone so over the top that people now see through it as a WWE type promo, and there's no way that their ultimate goal of PAYING for that PPV will happen. Bars will pony up some of the cash to get customers, but the Average Joe won't pay that money.

If they just had one press conference right before the event where they trashed one another on the stage, that would've come across as legit hate and maybe you'd fall for it, but this garbage we all witnessed shows they're selling it on hype and not on the basis of the sport, boxing.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 12:00 AM   #103
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
I think it's actually failed, and because of one simple reason - credibility. People are talking about it because of how ridiculous it is. It's too over the top and contrived. Their goal is to sell PPV's. They've gone so over the top that people now see through it as a WWE type promo, and there's no way that their ultimate goal of PAYING for that PPV will happen. Bars will pony up some of the cash to get customers, but the Average Joe won't pay that money.

If they just had one press conference right before the event where they trashed one another on the stage, that would've come across as legit hate and maybe you'd fall for it, but this garbage we all witnessed shows they're selling it on hype and not on the basis of the sport, boxing.
Really, I think people are going to be throwing their money at this. I guess time will tell, but I don't think they've shrunk their audience at all, my guess is they've grown it exponentially.
Cleveland Steam Whistle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cleveland Steam Whistle For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2017, 10:19 AM   #104
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post

I don't know what you are talking about here. There are people in my office talking about it that didn't even know who McGregor was prior to this fight. That's exactly the goal to get non-fans interested in the fight and it's been a massive success with the promos being played over and over on all sports air waves throughout the world. This fight is much more appealing to the average Joe than a Mayweather vs Pacquiao because the average Joe really doesn't watch boxing any more. MMA is already surpassing boxing on a PPV basis and this is going to combine both audiences;

https://sports.bwin.com/en/news/info...ic,116485.html

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 07-16-2017 at 10:23 AM.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2017, 02:59 PM   #105
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I don't know what you are talking about here. There are people in my office talking about it that didn't even know who McGregor was prior to this fight. That's exactly the goal to get non-fans interested in the fight and it's been a massive success with the promos being played over and over on all sports air waves throughout the world. This fight is much more appealing to the average Joe than a Mayweather vs Pacquiao because the average Joe really doesn't watch boxing any more. MMA is already surpassing boxing on a PPV basis and this is going to combine both audiences;

https://sports.bwin.com/en/news/info...ic,116485.html
No doubt there is hype, but most people realize it's rubbish. What I've been saying is that even casual non fans have been talking about it, they will not be paying that price to watch this fight. I would guarantee that the Pacquiao fight will get more PPV's when this is all said and done. That fight brought out old boxing fans. This fight won't. And those are the ones paying for it. Casual fans still understand this is a rubbish fight and they won't translate into a PPV purchase.
Old 07-16-2017, 04:03 PM   #106
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

The fight is going to rake in the money, no doubt. But the press conferences have been embarrassing lowest common denominator trash. Its like a spectacle of idiocy. I'm still going to watch the fight so I guess they accomplished their goal, but my overall respect level for each sport is pretty much non existent at this point. Its pretty much Jerry Springer level marketing.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Igottago For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2017, 05:39 PM   #107
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igottago View Post
The fight is going to rake in the money, no doubt. But the press conferences have been embarrassing lowest common denominator trash. Its like a spectacle of idiocy. I'm still going to watch the fight so I guess they accomplished their goal, but my overall respect level for each sport is pretty much non existent at this point. Its pretty much Jerry Springer level marketing.
The question isn't in this case are people going to watch the fight, but are they willing to pay for the fight? It really is the silliest way of selling the fight but promoters don't care about the effect on their sport. They're making a killing and laughing about it.
Old 07-17-2017, 03:43 PM   #108
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe since Conor thinks he's so good at fighting that he can fight across disciplines, maybe he can fight across weight classes? I'd love to see Miocic smack that loudmouth around.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 08:08 AM   #109
zukes
Nostradamus

Exp:

When Mayweather wins, the rematch will be an MMA fight which Conor will win. Then the 3rd match will be alternate rounds of boxing and MMA to see who is the ultimate champion!!

I'm only half kidding.
Old 07-18-2017, 09:58 AM   #110
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zukes View Post
When Mayweather wins, the rematch will be an MMA fight which Conor will win. Then the 3rd match will be alternate rounds of boxing and MMA to see who is the ultimate champion!!

I'm only half kidding.
There is NO WAY Chicken Crap Floyd would get in an octagon, unless it was the size of a baseball diamond! haha.

This is pretty crazy if true. In sparring they use 14 ounce gloves unlike in the match where they used 10 ounce ones. If MacGregor got knocked out in sparring....

https://www.forbes.com/sites/brianma...eather-jr/amp/
Johnny Makarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 10:08 AM   #111
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Me and my brother in law talked about this at length, and we both came to the same conclusion, that the only way that this is a good fight is if Mayweather allows it to be a good fight.

So the scenario that we came across is that Mayweather is going to come out early and put Conner on the ropes basically, then he's going to back off and make Conner look good, and then hes going to do everything to make this go to a judges decision.

So that we can see Conner vs Floyd two, The massacre in Manhatten.

This is all about money.

I'm sure that because boxing is so on the up and up that Mayweather and Conner haven't scripted this entire thing out including what's going to happen in the fight.

yeah I said it, this thing might as well be promoted by the McMahons.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2017, 12:25 PM   #112
FurnaceFace
Franchise Player

Exp:

The fight that should be getting the hype, attention and the money is the Triple G - Canelo fight. That has the potential to be a true super fight.

That fight I'd pay money to see. This one, I'll wait the week before it's free.

Hockey is just a game the way ice cream is just glucose, love is just
a feeling, and sex is just repetitive motion.

___________________________________- A Theory of Ice
FurnaceFace is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FurnaceFace For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2017, 05:50 PM   #113
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

NSFW: Language, but it's immensely accurate

NSFW!

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Maritime Q-Scout For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2017, 08:23 AM   #114
Hanna Sniper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Me and my brother in law talked about this at length, and we both came to the same conclusion, that the only way that this is a good fight is if Mayweather allows it to be a good fight.

So the scenario that we came across is that Mayweather is going to come out early and put Conner on the ropes basically, then he's going to back off and make Conner look good, and then he's going to do everything to make this go to a judges decision.

So that we can see Conner vs Floyd two, The massacre in Manhatten.

This is all about money.

I'm sure that because boxing is so on the up and up that Mayweather and Conner haven't scripted this entire thing out including what's going to happen in the fight.

yeah I said it, this thing might as well be promoted by the McMahons.
I more have it from the perspective and watching long enough to understand that there's a very fine line when a legendary fighter sticks around too long.

I've watched many legend fighters or even any athlete get surpassed by sub-par athlete s at the end of their career. Once they are officially washed up everyone goes back looks at that first loss and now say he was washed up then and should have never come back

41-year-old versus a 29 prime athlete. Time is a motherf'er and defeats every man regardless how talented they are.

For me, this is Floyd Vs Time

He'll be fighting a younger, taller, heavier and reach opponent with a skillset that doesn't deserve to even approve for a fight

Last edited by Hanna Sniper; 07-19-2017 at 08:28 AM.
Hanna Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 08:51 AM   #115
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanna Sniper View Post
I more have it from the perspective and watching long enough to understand that there's a very fine line when a legendary fighter sticks around too long.

I've watched many legend fighters or even any athlete get surpassed by sub-par athlete s at the end of their career. Once they are officially washed up everyone goes back looks at that first loss and now say he was washed up then and should have never come back

41-year-old versus a 29 prime athlete. Time is a motherf'er and defeats every man regardless how talented they are.

For me, this is Floyd Vs Time

He'll be fighting a younger, taller, heavier and reach opponent with a skillset that doesn't deserve to even approve for a fight
Even at 41 Mayweather has fought a style that isn't what you'd call taxing. Strip was Conor's skill set except for boxing and this fight is going to be lop sided, Conor's reach and weight isn't going to make a difference.

Basically there isn't going to be a knockout, there's no money made for this, and its going to go as long as it can, probably 10 out of 12 rounds, and I doubt Conor is going to have any gas left by round 9.

He's going to go after Mayweather hard at the start, its the only thing he can do. Mayweather will put up his usual shield and wear let Conor rage against him, sometime around round 6 or 7 those arms are going to get heavy.

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2017, 04:36 PM   #116
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Only presale, but the $3500 and above tickets moving very slow right now. Cannot imagine scalpers are touching this outside the cheapest tickets. Maybe this could end up being a bit of a flop.
Old 07-24-2017, 04:46 PM   #117
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

So what's the story that MacGregor got knocked out by his sparring partner?

Old 07-25-2017, 12:23 PM   #118
Puddy27
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
So what's the story that MacGregor got knocked out by his sparring partner?
Not much of a story. Jesse Vargas claimed he heard that McGregor had been knocked out in sparring. He said the boxing world is a small community which is why he knew. Mayweather said he is skeptical of that story. Take it for what it's worth. Maybe it's true, maybe it's not. I guess only a select few know that truth.
Puddy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 06:21 PM   #119
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

So yeah it's looking a bit more like this will flop, at the live gate anyway

Quote:
Darren Rovell‏Verified account @darrenrovell 2h2 hours ago
At last check, there were more than 3,100 tickets for sale on Ticketmaster for Floyd-Conor. Count at beginning of day was about 2,800.
https://twitter.com/darrenrovell/sta...40846654115841

They added tickets clearly, and they are not moving. At some point I imagine we see prices slashed, so if you bought tickets right away you might end up the biggest loser. Wonder if the press tour actually hurt ticket sales since it came off as promoting an over the top WWE event. I certainly don't think high rollers have any interest in this unlike Floyd-Manny.
Old 07-26-2017, 08:41 PM   #120
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
So yeah it's looking a bit more like this will flop, at the live gate anyway

https://twitter.com/darrenrovell/sta...40846654115841

They added tickets clearly, and they are not moving. At some point I imagine we see prices slashed, so if you bought tickets right away you might end up the biggest loser. Wonder if the press tour actually hurt ticket sales since it came off as promoting an over the top WWE event. I certainly don't think high rollers have any interest in this unlike Floyd-Manny.
I said it before and I'll say it again:
A) The press tour was way too early. If anything it should have peaked a week before the match. It'd be hard to train and tour, but that's the way it is.
B) Sold as a WWE event.

They deserve the flop that's coming to them. A lot of hype, but people would be reluctant to pay for silliness. I'm sure unintelligent southerners who pay for adult movies will be the same demographic to pay for this crap.