Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2017, 03:18 PM   #81
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignite09 View Post
I take it Karri Ramo's career is over? Can't find any current info on him.
He was in Finland last year. After an unsuccessful tryout with Toronto. And he had a bum knee.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 03:25 PM   #82
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SofaProfessor View Post
Fair point and I understand that angle as well. However, at some point there needs to be a chance for Gillies and Rittich (as well as Parsons - a few more years down the road, granted) to get NHL experience. Bring in someone on a 1 year deal this season, fine. We're having the same talk next year. The can has just been kicked down the road a little further but no actual solution has been found.

Price, Lundqvist, Quick, Murray, and literally every other NHL goalie had zero games of experience at some point. Kind of a silly point to make and their journeys have all varied but, like it or not, there's going to be a moment where everyone has to hold their breath as one of the young goalies makes their jump to the NHL.
I don't disagree. I personally feel Gillies needs another year due to his injury lost first pro season. As Treliving said last night at the STH session Matt Murray was the best goalie in the AHL by far for a year and a half. Gillies had a good year but that is all it was a good year. He needs more games and to be better and he will get his shot.

I don't think the Flames are going to hold back Gillies or Parsons if they deserve a look but they will certainly not rush them. I do feel the Flames are high on those 2 prospects and I think Hillies is the backup in 18-19 and might get chance to run with the ball after Smith expires. For next season though I believe a veteran backup is the best option
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2017, 03:27 PM   #83
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SofaProfessor View Post
...Price, Lundqvist, Quick, Murray, and literally every other NHL goalie had zero games of experience at some point. Kind of a silly point to make and their journeys have all varied but, like it or not, there's going to be a moment where everyone has to hold their breath as one of the young goalies makes their jump to the NHL.
Price and Lundqvist are the exceptions, having made the jump straight to the NHL from Juniour and from Europe. Quick is also interesting in that he didn't play a lot of games in the AHL over two seasons before breaking in with the Kings in 2008. But Murray has far and away followed the prototype path for goaltender development to the NHL. He played two full seasons in the AHL and was dominant before playing a single NHL game. I Gillies had not been injured for a full season in 2015–6, and if he was more consistent this year I would definitely feel differently. To this point he just simply does not look quite ready, and I hope that he is next year.

I could see Rittich making the jump this season, but like Vinny I am nervous about entrusting a full season and big playoff expectations to a goalie with only one season of North American second-tier professional hockey to his credit. People who are resisting the thought of Rittich or Gillies in the NHL are not doing so merely because they are gun shy about goaltending prospects. The time will come. I just happen to think that it will be next year, and not this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 03:59 PM   #84
Lil Pedro
First Line Centre

Exp:

Nilsson or Bernier would do the trick; I want Rittich and Gillies both in the A. Parsons should be in the ECHL. Mason MacDonald should be moved to another organization.
Lil Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 04:06 PM   #85
TheFlamesVan
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Pedro View Post
Nilsson or Bernier would do the trick; I want Rittich and Gillies both in the A. Parsons should be in the ECHL. Mason MacDonald should be moved to another organization.
Whoa now on Parsons. That's a waste of a year. He'd own that league.
TheFlamesVan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheFlamesVan For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2017, 05:07 PM   #86
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Is the Mason McDonald contract movable? He's got two years left on it.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 05:25 PM   #87
Gaudfather
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
Is the Mason McDonald contract movable? He's got two years left on it.
Not sure why the Flames would be in a hurry to move Macdonald's contract anyway. He was a high second round draft pick and I'm sure they want to see how he develops this year.
Gaudfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 05:42 PM   #88
sempuki
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlamesVan View Post
Whoa now on Parsons. That's a waste of a year. He'd own that league.
Shouldn't he have to prove that? ECHL is great for developing goaltenders.
sempuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 05:45 PM   #89
sempuki
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaudfather View Post
Not sure why the Flames would be in a hurry to move Macdonald's contract anyway. He was a high second round draft pick and I'm sure they want to see how he develops this year.
Goaltenders take forever to develop. Let him fight for his starts, or loan him out. I don't see any reason why his career is unsalvageable.

(I'm agreeing with you)

Last edited by sempuki; 06-28-2017 at 05:49 PM.
sempuki is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sempuki For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2017, 07:45 PM   #90
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Why is the Flames so fixated to sign a backup?

Can't they have Gilles and Rittich to rotate between the Calgary backup and Stockton starter role, and have MacDonald and Parsons rotate between the Stockton backup and ECHL role?
lazypucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 10:00 PM   #91
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazypucker View Post
Why is the Flames so fixated to sign a backup?

Can't they have Gilles and Rittich to rotate between the Calgary backup and Stockton starter role, and have MacDonald and Parsons rotate between the Stockton backup and ECHL role?
That would be terrible for their development - different coaches, different systems, different D, intermittent starts...
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 10:04 PM   #92
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Still think a goaltender prospect move is in play. Parsons should be be in the AHL.

The Kansas City Mavericks are only obligated to carry one of the Flames' goalies.
Old 06-28-2017, 10:22 PM   #93
Swayze11
something else haha

Exp:

Eddie Lack would be my choice. I always thought he looked good in Vancouver and I was actually surprised they chose Miller over him at the time.

Swayze11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 10:23 PM   #94
memphusk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swayze11 View Post
Eddie Lack would be my choice. I always thought he looked good in Vancouver and I was actually surprised they chose Miller over him at the time.
Lack Sucks.
Old 06-28-2017, 10:25 PM   #95
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Lack got called out by the Hurricanes' coach for "Lack-luster" play. Gully might like him, but can he rebound?
Old 06-28-2017, 10:26 PM   #96
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swayze11 View Post
I suggested in the Johnson thread that i wouldn't be surprised if the flames deal one of Bouma or Stajan for Lack...as the Canes have to get rid of one of Ward or Eddie.
Old 06-28-2017, 10:40 PM   #97
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

So, what is better then :

Allowing a kid to see if he can reach his potential after doing well in a lesser league (Rittich) or,

Picking up a veteran to see if he can prove that he's still capable of playing at the highest level (the backup retreads)?

To me. it seems as though it's the mediocre devil you know vs. the potential to steal a game/be a liability. I'm wondering if Rittich were to fail as the backup, how many veterans would still be available to pick up a month or two into the season? Just from the way people are talking, there should be several veteran backups floating around without a place to play, and that makes me more likely to give Rittich the spot until he proves that it is/is not too much for him.
Old 06-28-2017, 11:00 PM   #98
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Eddie lack cap hit is 2.75, while Bouma is 2.2. We will need to pay for a capable back up behind Smith, I don't believe the answer is within the organization, they should both have another year of seasoning.

So 650k extra but we'd end up paying an extra 1 mill or more for a back up. So we do save at least 350, which probably nets us Radulov and Jagr of course.
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 11:06 PM   #99
Franchise Player

Exp:

Apparently Lack's jovial personality was not particularly well received by the leaders in the Canucks room and if true, Gully would be aware of this. The rumor is that his teammates don't think Lack is professional enough.

Despite this, Lack still had great numbers as a Canuck;however, he did kind of falter in the playoffs against the Flames.
Old 06-28-2017, 11:08 PM   #100
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rittich
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote