Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Back Burner: The Calgary Wranglers and Flames Prospects Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2014, 06:42 PM   #201
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

They might do unique jerseys later. Right now it seems they very much want to put up a Flames flag in Adirondack.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 06:21 PM   #202
Drury18
Franchise Player

Exp:

As per the Adirondack Facebook page:

Quote:
Glens Falls, NY – Adirondack Flames Head Coach Ryan Huska introduced on September 8 Assistant Coach Todd Gill and Goaltending Coach Scott Gouthro as members of his coaching staff for the 2014-15 season.
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...2808837&type=1

Huska on the entire staff coming from juniors:

Quote:
"Coaching's coaching. There will be some learning curve for us of course because this is new for all of us, but having said that you rely on the experiences you've had in the past and the people you've had an opportunity to work with."
Huska on his staff:

Quote:
“Todd is someone that’s going to be invaluable to our organization because of his experience,” Huska said. “It’s not every day you’ve got someone on staff with over 1,000 games in the NHL and that’s going to be real helpful for our young defensemen here in Glens Falls. Scott’s had a strong track record over the past ten seasons in Cape Breton as the goaltending coach there and has also had numerous experiences and opportunities with Hockey Canada, particularly with the U-18’s program of excellence."

Gill:

Quote:
“Not only did I get to experience some ups and downs as a player on the ice but I got to experience it off the ice, too,” Gill said. “A lot of time you can help a kid as much off the ice as on and explain to him, ‘I went through this, this is what happened, this is how I reacted to it and these are the steps I took to move forward.’
Quote:
“I’m not here to change a player, I’m here to develop him into being better and improve on the things that he’s not so good at which will allow him to take the next step."

Gouthro:

Quote:
“For me it’s a great step. I talked to Jordan Sigalet [Calgary’s goaltending coach] and at the end of the day you’re working with goalies, whether it be at a major junior level or here where they’re just a bit more mature. The speed of the game has increased which leads to mistakes from goalies at this level. It’s about developing that relationship with a goalie, the trust, allows us to fine tune the details to get them ready for Calgary.”
Quote:
"If our [goaltenders] can get behind the net and act like an extra defenseman it's a big help to our team. The game has evolved. Goalies are understanding the whole game, they're not just back there for one job, they're understanding the systems. They're more evolved in the net."

Last edited by Drury18; 09-08-2014 at 06:25 PM.
Drury18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Drury18 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2014, 12:38 PM   #203
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

I never did like the Ftorek signing last year. I'm just not big on the old boys, so I hope Todd Gill isn't one of those "those." He's certainly saying all the right things.

I really like the Gouthro addition. I love that he's been involved in Hockey Canada. Hopefully he and Ortio can hit it off like he did with Sigalet.
Pierre "Monster" McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 01:18 PM   #204
Drury18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre "Monster" McGuire View Post
I never did like the Ftorek signing last year. I'm just not big on the old boys, so I hope Todd Gill isn't one of those "those." He's certainly saying all the right things.
I think there is a HUGE personality and mentality difference between Ftorek and Gill.

Completely agree, disliked the Ftorek signing. Let's get a coach known for ranting and raving at players and for lack of a better term "behavioural" problems while on the bench. I mean a quick search and you can come up for a few incidents, it's not really a behind closed doors hushed thing. Maybe that works for the older NHL guys, but the AHL kids will more then likely tune you out. I think he also suffered from the whole "Hockey Star" (from the WHA days) problem translating into coaching. Same thing as Gretzky, he may have been an excellent player but they all don't make great coaches, mostly because they haven't struggled like some players and so they don't have an understanding of that side of the sport.

If you look at Gill's career, the guy was a plugger and that's probably even giving him alot of credit. Had injury problems, spent considerable time in the AHL and really wasn't anything flashy. He's almost a living embodiment of having to do whatever you need to in order to stay on a team. Guys hearing that message from him probably has more power then hearing someone whose well decorated, in hall of fames and didn't have that struggle. I think the only knock I've heard about Gill's coaching was that he made the Kingston management (i.e. Doug Gilmour) look bad with that 3-0 playoff collapse. He's improved both teams he's coached and I don't think the Kingston firing was really about how he coached rather that Gilmour needed someone to blame for the embarrassment.
Old 09-09-2014, 09:09 PM   #205
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drury18 View Post
I think there is a HUGE personality and mentality difference between Ftorek and Gill.

Completely agree, disliked the Ftorek signing. Let's get a coach known for ranting and raving at players and for lack of a better term "behavioural" problems while on the bench. I mean a quick search and you can come up for a few incidents, it's not really a behind closed doors hushed thing. Maybe that works for the older NHL guys, but the AHL kids will more then likely tune you out. I think he also suffered from the whole "Hockey Star" (from the WHA days) problem translating into coaching. Same thing as Gretzky, he may have been an excellent player but they all don't make great coaches, mostly because they haven't struggled like some players and so they don't have an understanding of that side of the sport.

If you look at Gill's career, the guy was a plugger and that's probably even giving him alot of credit. Had injury problems, spent considerable time in the AHL and really wasn't anything flashy. He's almost a living embodiment of having to do whatever you need to in order to stay on a team. Guys hearing that message from him probably has more power then hearing someone whose well decorated, in hall of fames and didn't have that struggle. I think the only knock I've heard about Gill's coaching was that he made the Kingston management (i.e. Doug Gilmour) look bad with that 3-0 playoff collapse. He's improved both teams he's coached and I don't think the Kingston firing was really about how he coached rather that Gilmour needed someone to blame for the embarrassment.
Agreed with your post. However, the ranting and raving is completely gone from the NHL it seems. Easier to fire a coach than to move a big contract. I remember Keenan talking about it a couple of years after he was let go from the Flames. Maybe he was just using it as an excuse (the whole 'semi-retired' thing), but he was nothing like "Iron" Mike Keenan while with the Flames. He felt that was a thing of the past as the salaries increased substantially for players.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 10:17 PM   #206
Drury18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
Agreed with your post. However, the ranting and raving is completely gone from the NHL it seems. Easier to fire a coach than to move a big contract. I remember Keenan talking about it a couple of years after he was let go from the Flames. Maybe he was just using it as an excuse (the whole 'semi-retired' thing), but he was nothing like "Iron" Mike Keenan while with the Flames. He felt that was a thing of the past as the salaries increased substantially for players.
There has been a coaching culture change in the last 10 years or so, but I don't see it eliminated. There seems to be less tolerance for coaches that motivate their team through yelling and more negative methods then those who educate and take a more business sort of stance towards coaching. John Torterella (while fired now and I doubt sees another coaching position for quite some time) is definitely an example of this as is Dave Tippet and I think to an extent Dallas Eakins. Tippet is protected through politics with the Coyotes, but there were a number of examples of when he lost the room because of his methods and reporters would mention how you could hear him screaming post game down the hall. Or he'd pull players from interviews while on air to put them in the room and scream at them. He easily should have lost his job at the end of the season. Eakins, well I mean we see many examples of how he lost the room and his temper. There are still coaches who seem to think that method is effective despite the results saying otherwise and have GM's that are backing them up. Eakins I believe has his support via the "old boys club" way of thinking, Tippet because Maloney is an incompetent GM scrambling to do anything he can to keep his own job.
The Following User Says Thank You to Drury18 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2014, 10:25 PM   #207
TheDebaser
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

nm

Last edited by TheDebaser; 09-10-2014 at 10:27 PM.
TheDebaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 06:26 AM   #208
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Think its been expected, but Carter Bancks will not be back.

According to nhl.com the Flames no longer own his rights, implying they relinquished their RFA rights to him.

He is reportedly attending the Canucks camp.

Last edited by sureLoss; 09-19-2014 at 06:31 AM.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 10:16 AM   #209
Drury18
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Flames just announced their promotional calendar for the season. Lots of giveaways and sponsorships. I don't think Abbotsford had this many in the entire time. Team posters, youth jerseys, magnetic schedule, rally towel, player card set and a "Flames Value Coin" which gets you discounts in the community.

http://adirondackflames.com/news/?article_id=36

Also of note, they will have two special jersey nights:

Quote:
Military Appreciation Night presented by UA Local 773 (Nov 22), which will feature special, authentic, game-worn camouflage Flames jerseys to be auctioned post-game to benefit the Wounded Warriors
Quote:
Highlighting Saturday Night is Hockey Night in Glens Falls promotions in the 2015 calendar year is Pink in the Rink Night, presented by Glens Falls Hospital, which will feature authentic, game worn pink Flames jerseys to be auctioned post-game to benefit CR Wood Cancer Center
I hope the Camo jerseys will be an online auction. I would love to get in on that.

Last edited by Drury18; 09-19-2014 at 10:19 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Drury18 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2014, 10:52 AM   #210
Drury18
Franchise Player

Exp:

I asked Adirondack and unfortunately the pink and camo jerseys will be a live auction the evening of.

Guess I'll need a road trip!
Old 09-22-2014, 02:11 PM   #211
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Adirondack Flames training camp schedule released:

http://adirondackflames.com/news/?article_id=39
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2014, 10:35 PM   #212
Scornfire
First Line Centre

Exp:

Some of those promotions sound awesome, the buffet and mug club especially

Anyone hiring in Glens Falls?
Scornfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 11:23 AM   #213
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

If anyone wants to know - sounds like Olivier Roy (from the Smid trade last year and played some with the Heat/Aces) has committed to play in the CIS in Moncton - believe he has to sit out this year, but won't be playing pro anywhere this year.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PeteMoss For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2014, 08:28 AM   #214
savardandjokinen
son of looooob

Exp:

Hope Elson can do what he's doing in camp right now in the ahl
savardandjokinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 12:13 PM   #215
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scornfire View Post
Some of those promotions sound awesome, the buffet and mug club especially

Anyone hiring in Glens Falls?
Yeah no kidding. They really want this team there. Its a small market, but nice to be wanted. I'm sure the players will enjoy the support.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 12:50 PM   #216
Drury18
Franchise Player

Exp:

And we have our first 11 Adirondack Flames players:

Adirondack Flames (AHL)

Trevor Gillies (F)
Ben Hanowski (F)
Mathieu Tousignant (F)
Bryce Van Brabant (F)
Curtis Gedig (F)
Ken Agostino (F)
Garnet Hathaway (F)
David Wolf (F)
Dustin Stevenson (D)
Doug Carr (G)
Brad Thiessen (G)

http://flames.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=732046
Old 09-28-2014, 07:25 AM   #217
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

i'm really interested in Wolf's development. I hope he gets a boat load of playing time out there to develop. I really want to see him in Calgary this season.
Old 09-29-2014, 11:11 AM   #218
Drury18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Adirondack posted some photo's from the Season Ticket Holder pickup party on Facebook. One was a picture of the actual jerseys.

Old 09-29-2014, 11:42 AM   #219
Fire of the Phoenix
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

They would look better without the word mark. Or the vertical stripes. Or the flags. Other than that they look good.
Fire of the Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 01:25 PM   #220
Drury18
Franchise Player

Exp:

5 more (if Cundari clears waivers) on their way to Adirondack:

Quote:
The Calgary Flames announced today that they have assigned forwards Turner Elson, Emile Poirier and defensemen Ryan Culkin, John Ramage and Mark Cundari (Cundari on waivers with the intent of assignment) to the Adirondack Flames of the American Hockey League.
http://adirondackflames.com/news/?article_id=45
The Following User Says Thank You to Drury18 For This Useful Post: