Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2022, 01:34 PM   #101
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post

Well... some form of offloading to them rather than accept a "Can't you do it?" thing.

"OK, I'll do it if you swap the tires on the car for me. "
"Err... Nvm..."

But yes... in case it wasn't apparent, I'm half joking.
I am going on a solid year of not replacing the taps in the washrooms. I forgot my crimper at my brother in laws house for 10 of those months even though we visited it 5-10 times and could have gotten it.

I finally bought all the parts to finish the project but doing everything I can not to
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fundmark19 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2022, 02:06 PM   #102
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundmark19 View Post
I am going on a solid year of not replacing the taps in the washrooms. I forgot my crimper at my brother in laws house for 10 of those months even though we visited it 5-10 times and could have gotten it.

I finally bought all the parts to finish the project but doing everything I can not to
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2022, 07:48 PM   #103
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Where can I find a top tier garlic press? The junk from Coop doesn't last or do the job well and I'd be hard pressed to spend $50 on a gamble from Amazon.
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 07:56 PM   #104
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Garlic presses are miserable devices. Get a nice laser cut microplane. I don't even peel the garlic, just start grating holding the root end of the clove and the peel splays open. You get a nice mound of perfectly ground garlic without all the faffing about with a press. You can get the stick ones, but I prefer the wider grating area so the peel stays on top.

Something this size is grate.

https://www.microplane-brandshop.com...l-series?c=420

Last edited by Fuzz; 09-20-2022 at 07:58 PM.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2022, 08:09 PM   #105
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperBagger'14 View Post
Where can I find a top tier garlic press? The junk from Coop doesn't last or do the job well and I'd be hard pressed to spend $50 on a gamble from Amazon.
I've had a Lagostina garlic press from Winners for at least 10 years that has always done the job
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2022, 08:21 PM   #106
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Garlic presses are miserable devices. Get a nice laser cut microplane. I don't even peel the garlic, just start grating holding the root end of the clove and the peel splays open. You get a nice mound of perfectly ground garlic without all the faffing about with a press. You can get the stick ones, but I prefer the wider grating area so the peel stays on top.

I appreciate the link and the follow up pun!
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 08:58 AM   #107
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Whenever I'm searching for a true top tier item, Lee Valley is the place. They make no apologies for charging top dollar for things, but they only sell good quality stuff.

https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop...es-and-mashers

Not exactly a "local" company, but they are Canadian founded and owned with stores from coast to coast, including Calgary.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 09:03 AM   #108
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post

Interesting. I have a microplane, and it's awesome. My biggest use case is zesting lemons. I don't think that would be faster than a garlic press though- cut off end, pull off peel, insert into press, press. Takes under 10 seconds. Although after grating my fingers a few times I maybe grate slower than others....
Old 09-21-2022, 09:08 AM   #109
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Whenever I'm searching for a true top tier item, Lee Valley is the place. They make no apologies for charging top dollar for things, but they only sell good quality stuff.

https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop...es-and-mashers

Not exactly a "local" company, but they are Canadian founded and owned with stores from coast to coast, including Calgary.
And it's an awesome store where you get to browse at lots of things you never knew you needed so badly. Like IKEA used to be for me.
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to edslunch For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2022, 09:15 AM   #110
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
Interesting. I have a microplane, and it's awesome. My biggest use case is zesting lemons. I don't think that would be faster than a garlic press though- cut off end, pull off peel, insert into press, press. Takes under 10 seconds. Although after grating my fingers a few times I maybe grate slower than others....
My issue with the presses is if you are doing multiple, it gets clogged eventually. Sometimes garlic squeezes around the hammer. I just find them messy and irritating.

Another awesome use for the microplane is ginger. I just keep a hunk in my freezer(keeps forever this way), and it grates amazingly. Perfect for marinades.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2022, 10:25 PM   #111
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Anyone know where I can get some chin chin? Homemade. Not off amazon. Friend of mine used to bring me some at work all the time she got from an African store?? I’m not entirely sure. It was local and homemade but purchased, she didn’t make it herself. I seem to recall her mentioning an African food store but I have no knowledge of such a thing.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 12:04 AM   #112
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Anyone know where I can get some chin chin? Homemade. Not off amazon. Friend of mine used to bring me some at work all the time she got from an African store?? I’m not entirely sure. It was local and homemade but purchased, she didn’t make it herself. I seem to recall her mentioning an African food store but I have no knowledge of such a thing.
There's an Afro-Caribbean grocer on 4th Street NW, I'm thinking about 40th Ave. No idea if they have chin chin. Basha might be a place to check too.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sr. Mints For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2022, 01:43 PM   #113
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Stupid question: How well does the IKEA one work? Give it a try?

https://www.ikea.com/ca/en/p/koncis-...teel-00089163/

Worst case, you're out $8. Middle case, you have a cheap line of replacements once they start to get closer to point of failure.

I know others who have gone to a mortar and pestle and some have one specifically for garlic.

You can also use the silicone garlic peeler first, but for others, I have seen them pay the premium to buy pre-peeled garlic. It's a luxury cost worth contemplating if the pre-minced garlic is too much of a luxury to contemplate.

If pre-peeled, you can freeze first and then thaw. Once thawed and no longer frozen (ie: microwave, room temp etc), it easily mashes through a cheap garlic press because it's borderline mush.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 06:38 PM   #114
Flames_Gimp
Franchise Player

Exp:
Icon36

It somehow bothers me that someone able would be that lazy to want to use mobility aids, it sucks ass to need them.
Flames_Gimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 09:52 PM   #115
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
Stupid question: How well does the IKEA one work? Give it a try?

https://www.ikea.com/ca/en/p/koncis-...teel-00089163/

Worst case, you're out $8. Middle case, you have a cheap line of replacements once they start to get closer to point of failure.

I know others who have gone to a mortar and pestle and some have one specifically for garlic.

h.
We swear by the IKEA one.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 10:16 AM   #116
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
The kitchen store in Britannia has this beauty https://britanniahome.ca/products/zw...2d138830&_ss=r

I have no idea if it is any good, but you can at least check it out in person.
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 11:27 AM   #117
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

The garlic press I got is from the kitchen store called Zest at Dalhousie Station. I think it's Oxo brand, it works really well (no feeling required), but it's not at all fun to clean. I also second the microplaner.

Sure seems kitchen stores are a dying breed. I mean, I know everything that isn't Amazon or Walmart is spiraling a whirlpool, but Britannia and Dalhousie are the only two kitchen stores I can think of anymore.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 06:15 PM   #118
Cycling76er
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I bought a garlic press from Lina's on Edmonton Trail (Center St.? I haven't lived in Calgary in over 8 years)
years ago and it's been bomber solid.
Cycling76er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 02:30 PM   #119
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone know where I can grab snow-tex ceiling texture? I have someone doing a ceiling patch and what they have doesn't match the existing. Enthusiasm to scrape and redo the entire ceiling is low...

This stuff: https://www.rona.ca/en/product/cgc-s...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
Old 10-19-2022, 12:34 PM   #120
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looking for 5-7v heated socks that heat the entire bottom of the foot seems a nearly impossible task in Canada. TheWarmingStore in the US has them, but shipping via Fedex becomes a $75 ordeal....
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote