Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-10-2017, 12:41 PM   #301
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Ehlers - Horvat - Tkachuk
Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
This makes my eyes bleed, makes me throw up in my mouth and I'm pretty sure it's also making me smell burnt toast.
It looks like a nice second line for the Flames.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2017, 12:51 PM   #302
jg13
Franchise Player

Exp:

There are definitely some similarities in our top 6 compared to the Bruins 2011 Cup winning top 6.

Two fairly even scoring lines including one of the best shutdown lines in the league which was Marchand - Bergeron - Recchi in the playoffs

jg13 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jg13 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2017, 01:40 PM   #303
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
It looks like a nice second line for the Flames.
Oh. In that context, I agree. I actually like Horvat's game, even though I now feel like I have to wash my mouth out with soap.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 03:12 PM   #304
Fan in Exile
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
Oh. In that context, I agree. I actually like Horvat's game, even though I now feel like I have to wash my mouth out with soap.
I think it's you that was taken out of context. That's the line the Canucks could have if they had done a better job drafting in the first round. They would be light years ahead of where they are now. And we would be venting about how Tkachuk is a typical Canucks player in the tradition of Kesler, Burrows et al.

Much happier with the current version of reality.
Fan in Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fan in Exile For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2017, 06:02 PM   #305
handgroen
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahan For Mayor View Post
I don't understand why everyone ####s on the Juolevi pick. I hate the Canucks, but if Juolevi develops into a top pairing dman the pick was still worth it. We all know it takes a few years to develop most dmen. Tkachuk is a beast but if he ends up a 65ish point 2 way beast, and Juolevi turns out a 40+ top pairing stud... Was it really a bad pick ? The team is in a state of rebuild so they can take the development time. I hope he busts but at this time the pick isn't as bad as people make it out to be including Canucks fans.
i do, and it feels great.

it will probably look even worse in 5 years and worse yet in 10

we outright stole this guy

is your cat doing singing?
handgroen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 06:08 PM   #306
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Ill be in hawaii from april 7th to 22nd. Im going to wear my Tkachuk jersey every playoff game day!

So will my boy!

Game prode! Love the way this gamer plays!
Moneyhands23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 06:15 PM   #307
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought that either van or edm would have to draft a dman, just based on their organizational draft charts...so felt relatively good that we'd get Tkachuck...

Of course i got a little nervous when the Oilers drafted, yet another, forward... but I was ecstatic with Vancouver's decision...
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 06:21 PM   #308
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcalgary View Post
I thought that either van or edm would have to draft a dman, just based on their organizational draft charts...so felt relatively good that we'd get Tkachuck...

Of course i got a little nervous when the Oilers drafted, yet another, forward... but I was ecstatic with Vancouver's decision...
Only thing I'll ever thank the Canuks for!
Moneyhands23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 01:18 AM   #309
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcalgary View Post

Yep, totally agreed.

In fact I argued pretty hard on hfboards van forum before the draft that they couldn't afford to draft a 4th winger in the first round in the past 4 years when wing is the least important position in the league. Made a ton of sense for Van to draft a dman after taking Shinkaruk, Virtanen and Boeser. Of course the Virtanen pick is the real mistake so far IMO.

Rebuilding teams need to find top 3 defencemen in the draft and it's hard to find them outside the 1st. VAN really needed to get a top 3 defenceman or a top line centre out of that draft. You can't build a team around wingers.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 01:34 AM   #310
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by handgroen View Post
i do, and it feels great.

it will probably look even worse in 5 years and worse yet in 10

we outright stole this guy
It was a terrible decision by the Canucks then, and it will always be one.

They passed on the next Corey Perry to draft the next Niklas Hjlamarsson. Great move, Jim.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 03:00 AM   #311
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahan For Mayor View Post
I don't understand why everyone ####s on the Juolevi pick. I hate the Canucks, but if Juolevi develops into a top pairing dman the pick was still worth it. We all know it takes a few years to develop most dmen. Tkachuk is a beast but if he ends up a 65ish point 2 way beast, and Juolevi turns out a 40+ top pairing stud... Was it really a bad pick ? The team is in a state of rebuild so they can take the development time. I hope he busts but at this time the pick isn't as bad as people make it out to be including Canucks fans.
Some fans in London are saying Juolevi is only the 3rd best D on the team this year, consistently looses battles and seems to be a step behind in the defensive zone when up against the top skilled players.

Yes, he could turn into a top pairing but he could also very well be the next Griffin Reinhart or Derrick Pouliot as well. Tkachuk is a sure thing now and probably will end up the 3rd best player in that draft even if Juolevi ends up a top pairing D.
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 03:54 AM   #312
dying4acup
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
Some fans in London are saying Juolevi is only the 3rd best D on the team this year, consistently looses battles and seems to be a step behind in the defensive zone when up against the top skilled players.

Yes, he could turn into a top pairing but he could also very well be the next Griffin Reinhart or Derrick Pouliot as well. Tkachuk is a sure thing now and probably will end up the 3rd best player in that draft even if Juolevi ends up a top pairing D.
Canucks Post-game guy has said many times, he sees nothing special about Juolevi. Possibly a top4. Maybe at best.

I've seen him face to face. Not very tall, and needs to gain a serious amount of weight to play In the NHL.
dying4acup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 06:49 AM   #313
Monahan For Mayor
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Maybe I'm incorrect on this but I think most scouts had Juolevi pegged as a sure fire top
4, who most likely ends up a 3 or better. I don't see how he has hurt his status, on pace for more points without the best line in Juniour hockey. Of course he loses battles he is still a lank bean and 18, some bodies develop slower than others. I hope you guys are right about him, but I won't declare it a bad pick until Juolevi proves he can't be a top 3 dman.
Monahan For Mayor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 07:48 PM   #314
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

May not get a lot of attention, but that was an awesome, veteran play by Chucky at the end of the game there
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tyler For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2017, 07:51 PM   #315
Homeslice
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
May not get a lot of attention, but that was an awesome, veteran play by Chucky at the end of the game there
No kidding, plus he was like a dog after a bone - just wanted it so much more than anyone else on the ice. That's great hockey right there!
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 07:56 PM   #316
3thirty
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Loved the play where he stole it from Byfuglien and neatly set up Frolik who just missed. Crazy skill, not just a complementary player like some were worried about at the draft.
3thirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 07:58 PM   #317
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

This guy is just an absolute steal of a pick. Larceny.
Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 02:52 PM   #318
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I'd argue that Tkachuk belongs in the same conversation right now as Matthews, Laine and Marner. His point totals aren't quite where the others are at, but if you look at the amount of minutes played. Tkachuk plays far less then the other guys. If you were to extrapolate his point totals with the same number of minutes they played, then suddenly his point totals are pretty comparable. It's not a perfect science, but let's face it, if Tkachuk played more, he'd produce more. That's a fact.

Can't wait till Tkachuk fiils out and improves his foot speed. He's gonna be one of the toughest players to handle in front of the net and a beast down low. Might become one of the best power forwards of his generation.

Last edited by Classic_Sniper; 03-12-2017 at 02:58 PM.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 03:08 PM   #319
Gaudfather
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post
I'd argue that Tkachuk belongs in the same conversation right now as Matthews, Laine and Marner. His point totals aren't quite where the others are at, but if you look at the amount of minutes played. Tkachuk plays far less then the other guys. If you were to extrapolate his point totals with the same number of minutes they played, then suddenly his point totals are pretty comparable. It's not a perfect science, but let's face it, if Tkachuk played more, he'd produce more. That's a fact.

Can't wait till Tkachuk fiils out and improves his foot speed. He's gonna be one of the toughest players to handle in front of the net and a beast down low. Might become one of the best power forwards of his generation.
Agreed - not only fewer minutes, but tougher minutes too, with many more defensive zone starts.
Gaudfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 03:12 PM   #320
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

It was interesting to watch the two of them last night - Laine is an elite sniper and an offensive talent, but Tkachuk is a far more complete player.

And it isn't close.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote