Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-2021, 08:09 PM   #2081
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

So how do OneSoccer subscribers feel? I'd be pretty pissed, I'm not a subscriber.

Should they give you guys some sort of discount now? Refund? From the Sportsnet money they just got? The exclusive home of Canadian soccer is now no longer true.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 08:09 PM   #2082
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1433225275890876418
CofR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CofR For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2021, 08:12 PM   #2083
Party Elephant
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
So how do OneSoccer subscribers feel? I'd be pretty pissed, I'm not a subscriber.

Should they give you guys some sort of discount now? Refund? From the Sportsnet money they just got? The exclusive home of Canadian soccer is now no longer true.
The Onesoccer schedule still has the game tomorrow

edit: I'm hoping this is a deal where sportsnet is showing the games on TV while onesoccer still streams them, similar to how it worked with CPL games on CBC in the past. If not I'll be mildly annoyed but will just be seeking out less legal streams, since a canadian TV subscription isn't even an option for me.
Party Elephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 08:12 PM   #2084
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I am more than happy to give OneSoccer my money. I have it for the CPL games alone. Glad this is available to the masses but OneSoccer are the ones who are putting the money into the sport in this country....

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2021, 08:13 PM   #2085
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Party Elephant View Post
The Onesoccer schedule still has the game tomorrow
Sure but you're not paying for exclusivity. But as mentioned, they have alot of other stuff.

Edit: and yeah, you're not in Canada so that would really suck

Last edited by GirlySports; 09-01-2021 at 08:17 PM.
Old 09-01-2021, 08:17 PM   #2086
Party Elephant
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Sure but you're not paying for exclusivity. But as mentioned, they have alot of other stuff.
Like I said, I can't get a canadian TV subscription so for me personally onesoccer is the only (legal) way to watch games. I don't care about exclusivity.
Party Elephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 08:18 PM   #2087
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

OneSoccer is also gonna have other CONCACAF qualifiers as well which is appealing to me as a subscriber. Like Shermantor said I’m happy to subscribe anyways for the CPL content, I’m glad that lots of people are going to be able to watch these games.

And for Party Elephant I believe I saw a tweet that the game will still be streamed on OneSoccer as scheduled
Old 09-01-2021, 08:20 PM   #2088
M*A*S*H 4077
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’m more than happy that someone is showing the games in addition to Onesoccer. Hopefully it’ll actually get people to get Onesoccer subscriptions at the end of it
M*A*S*H 4077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 08:51 PM   #2089
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

They’ve propped up the CPL, shown a whack of Canada games already this year, and allow me to watch other Concacaf games. Why would I be mad?
Johnny199r is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Johnny199r For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2021, 08:57 PM   #2090
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Yeah echoing others I feel happy to support onesoccer regardless... I think anyone who is a supporter of Canadian soccer and has the disposable income should be supporting them and the cpl.

For me while their production is a work in progress there has never been the depth of coverage of cmnt games that they have provided and it has been pretty special.

Nevermind the fact that almost half the country doesn't have conventional cable anymore and it is way more expensive!

Still great news for onesoccer as I am assuming they got money and the exposure for their network will be great.

Be great if sportsnet would show a cpl game of the week too and show the league to a new audience.
Matty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Matty81 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2021, 11:41 PM   #2091
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just renewed OneSoccer a couple of weeks ago for another year. Not even mad.

I subscribe for CPL. Canada stuff is a bonus. My only gripe with OneSoccer is that they are very slow to get the matches online afterwards. I’m a bit of a “time shifter” who will record the match, avoid the score, and watch it later in peace and quiet. This is easy with traditional cable & PVR so I will utilize that for some of these matches.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2021, 11:45 PM   #2092
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh. And Gareth Wheeler is my second gripe. But I’ll even tolerate him and still pay a few cents of his salary in the name of OneSoccer and the CPL. That’s how committed I am to the cause.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2021, 06:02 AM   #2093
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
Oh. And Gareth Wheeler is my second gripe. But I’ll even tolerate him and still pay a few cents of his salary in the name of OneSoccer and the CPL. That’s how committed I am to the cause.
For me, I feel like tolerating him is my main cost of OneSoccer.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2021, 07:02 AM   #2094
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

I don't mind Wheeler.

I can't stand Nigel Reid. Absolute cliche machine. Offers nothing other than his accent.

The Following User Says Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2021, 07:29 AM   #2095
kobasew19
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
I am more than happy to give OneSoccer my money. I have it for the CPL games alone. Glad this is available to the masses but OneSoccer are the ones who are putting the money into the sport in this country....
Same here, I'm keeping my subscription even though I have Bell Fibe as well. They should be rewarded for getting us the games against Martinque and Cayman Islands
kobasew19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 09:16 AM   #2096
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

A one year sub to One Soccer was like $75 so I don't mind. I don't have regular cable so I hope One Soccer is still showing the Ocho matches?
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 09:21 AM   #2097
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Looks like OneSoccer has picked up most of the rest of the Ocho. I assume they are losing money like crazy on all of this, and I'm happy to see them get some more revenue so the CPL can have some more runway to develop and we have a viable means of watching obscure Canada matches (although we'll always miss Benny's).

https://twitter.com/user/status/1433195463868436483
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2021, 09:27 AM   #2098
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
A one year sub to One Soccer was like $75 so I don't mind. I don't have regular cable so I hope One Soccer is still showing the Ocho matches?
I think it was $99 when I just renewed, but even so, I have spent more money on worse things!

I am pretty sure that I read that OneSoccer is still broadcasting everything as well, including the non-Canada matches. They've got a few up on their schedule for tonight. Edit: Bill Bumface's post explains it.

Hopefully OneSoccer got a nice little chunk of coin for sub-licensing these to SN. They deserve to be rewarded a little for taking the rights when nobody else would.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2021, 12:55 PM   #2099
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
I don't mind Wheeler.

I can't stand Nigel Reid. Absolute cliche machine. Offers nothing other than his accent.
Haha everybody has their guy. Wheeler is a dork and I see your point on Reid, but for me it's Kurt Larson who has always rubbed me the wrong way. I think it's because he is so Ontario/Toronto centric and was so smug during year one, never seemed to give Cavs any credit, despite the fact that Forge didn't even qualify for the championship game that they won FFS. That never should have happened IMO.

I hope against hope that once his career ends we get Hutch doing color for CMNT games, such a well spoken and measured guy.

Anyway, huge game tonight... allez les rouges!! I think this game is gonna set the tone, need these 3 points, or even worst case scenario 1.

Last edited by Matty81; 09-02-2021 at 12:57 PM.
Matty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 03:12 PM   #2100
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

How many times in the broadcast tonight do you think they mention the 2012 8-1 loss to Honduras? I’m hoping to exorcise that memory from my mind forever.

FH