Default Wild 2 Flames 1 (OT)

http://www.calgarypuck.com/2013/02/wild-2-flames-1-ot/
Bingo is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2013, 01:41 AM   #2
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm assuming you meant Backstroke. I didn't the game, but but I didn't think Backlund was back yet
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:07 AM   #3
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good point on the Glencross high sticking penalty. I was thinking to myself "what goes through this guy's mind sometimes?". I've come to the conclusion that the answer is not very much at times. I simply think he's a good hockey player that isn't a very smart man. He brings more effort but has a lot of Rene Bourque in him.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:29 AM   #4
Five-hole
Franchise Player

Exp:

Interesting that the PP and Wideman have gone cold at the same time. Is one the fault of the other? Which? /robkerr
Five-hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:30 AM   #5
nmhen
Everybody's favourite Wild fan!

Exp:

From a Wild fan's perspective, a very good, very fair write up. Well done.
nmhen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:29 AM   #6
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would have picked Giordano as the goat and the big save. Taking that puck away from Parise on the goal line was outstanding. I'm still not sure why the ref blew it dead right away, as the Flames were poised to go the other way and Minnesota was got in and behind the net.

As for the goat, that penalty was ridiculous by Gio. They were just called for that last game and I think the game or two before that. Yes he didn't have his stick, but there is no reason to get on your knees and swipe at it. Kick it, pin it, lay beside it, whatever, but don't swipe it with your hand. It's an easy penalty to call. Handing Minnesota a PP with a minute left almost cost them the one point, and giving them a 4 on 3 in OT was a death sentence with the players they put on the ice.

The Flames didn't make many mistakes, but they made some big/dumb ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
squiggs96 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to squiggs96 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2013, 11:47 AM   #7
Red_Baron
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by squiggs96 View Post

As for the goat, that penalty was ridiculous by Gio. They were just called for that last game and I think the game or two before that. Yes he didn't have his stick, but there is no reason to get on your knees and swipe at it. Kick it, pin it, lay beside it, whatever, but don't swipe it with your hand. It's an easy penalty to call. Handing Minnesota a PP with a minute left almost cost them the one point, and giving them a 4 on 3 in OT was a death sentence with the players they put on the ice.

The Flames didn't make many mistakes, but they made some big/dumb ones.
100% agreed. I was yelling at the TV for him to stop it and yet he continued doing it for several more seconds. I think the ref hesitated to call it immediately but he kept doing it, forcing the ref to make the call.
All he had to do was hold his ground and wait for some support, even if Minnesota had gotten it away from him, it would have been more than enough time for the winger to pick up the man.
Red_Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:54 AM   #8
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

Six points out of third in the conference. Not really that much doom and gloom when you think about it. All the other teams seem to be struggling with consistency as well.
Badgers Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 12:55 PM   #9
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Good write up as usual. It's too bad the flames power play has gone quiet, that five minute power play was tough to watch. The most frustrating moments came when the flames had open looks to take a shot and decided on some low percentage pass instead of just getting the puck on net. This happened with Cammalleri in the second just before Wideman got his penalty, he was wide open in the slot and passed it to no one. Flames 2-0-1 in their last 3 games so you can look at the positives! Just win against Colorado.
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 01:30 PM   #10
Brick
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Good point about Matt Stajan. Flames fans should have been very concerned because he's the only centre they have.

I don't understand why they continue to add guys like Wideman, Hudler, etc. to remain competitive but fail to address the obvious gaping holes at centre ice. If the plan is to make the playoffs, they have failed miserably in the makeup of the team. If the plan is to tank, then why have they added just enough to keep them in 10 to 12 spot? Either strengthen the middle or sell off players already...sheesh...
Brick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 01:37 PM   #11
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brick View Post
Good point about Matt Stajan. Flames fans should have been very concerned because he's the only centre they have.

I don't understand why they continue to add guys like Wideman, Hudler, etc. to remain competitive but fail to address the obvious gaping holes at centre ice. If the plan is to make the playoffs, they have failed miserably in the makeup of the team. If the plan is to tank, then why have they added just enough to keep them in 10 to 12 spot? Either strengthen the middle or sell off players already...sheesh...
I think center is the toughest position to fill. If you look back at the 2012 July 1st list for centers Olli Jokinen was likely the best guy available and ask Winnipeg how that is turning out.

Draft them and pray!
Bingo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:28 AM   #12
Brick
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
I think center is the toughest position to fill. If you look back at the 2012 July 1st list for centers Olli Jokinen was likely the best guy available and ask Winnipeg how that is turning out.

Draft them and pray!
Okay, I get that center is the toughest position to fill but, there are 30 teams in the NHL, with a need to fill 60 centers in a top six role. Some teams have more than 2 top six centers. Some even play them on the wings.

Would you not think that there should be a trade to be made to acquire one from some team somewhere? If not, what about other team's farm teams? Surely, there has to be a center available somewhere.

They need to look harder and get something done about it.

This team is built fundamentally wrong and the results of that are just too predictable.
Brick is offline   Reply With Quote