Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-28-2017, 01:34 AM   #41
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

It is always a good thing if other teams covet your players. Especially if it is one of the better GMs in the league.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 06:19 AM   #42
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
A team liking a player counts as a rumour now? Friedman needs to drop down his 30 thoughts down to 15.
30 Drunken Thoughts?
Rick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rick M. For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2017, 07:15 AM   #43
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

We have had 20 year olds make dramatic drops in production before. We had one guy who had 50 points in his first season and then he dropped to 32 in his second season. He worked out and I think Sam will work out as well.
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aarongavey For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2017, 07:23 AM   #44
Frequitude
Franchise Player

Exp:

People hating on Friedman, much like the frequent hating on other media and PBP personalities around here, is embarrassing. Don't like it? Don't read or watch it, you losers.
Frequitude is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Frequitude For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2017, 08:00 AM   #45
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am very much against trading Bennett at all and no way would I want to trade him in division unless it was a disgusting overpay like Lindholm + Ritchie + Gibson for Bennett + Kulak + Gillies

Basically filling our biggest needs for a winger, Dman and Goalie is the only way I would be happy. Therefore let's not trade him and continue to develop him into the top 2 centre we need long term
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 08:09 AM   #46
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frequitude View Post
People hating on Friedman, much like the frequent hating on other media and PBP personalities around here, is embarrassing. Don't like it? Don't read or watch it, you losers.
That's a little much.

Friedman lately has been saying whatever comes to his mind, without much substance. That's absolutely his right and I don't think it takes away from the quality he's otherwise capable of bringing, but just because he's a media personality doesn't mean he's absolved of justified criticism.

Just the other day (and it happens all the time) someone suggested we trade for Rask and a few posters jumped in and essentially said "That doesn't make sense, why is Boston trading Rask, why not just list Price or any other great goalie that's unavailable and that we have 0% chance of getting" which is a fair response imo. People are just holding Friedman to the same standard. Surely an adult professional hockey insider can take the same level of criticism as a random internet poster for saying something with the exact same quality content.

It was a dumb comment. "The Flames covet Sidney Crosby but are unsure they'd trade what it costs to get him" look, I'm an insider!
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2017, 08:15 AM   #47
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

As someone else pointed out why would we want to make the Ducks stronger with our first round pick? I would just take this as a compliment and a testament that the Flames have some really good pieces going forward. Since the Flames maintained at the end of the season that this is our core going forward; Not sure why the team would suddenly lack patience and start trading away assets. We just have to look at the D. Hamilton trade to see that BT is willing to work a little harder to find the gems we need without trading away core players.
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 08:33 AM   #48
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
Anaheim can covet Bennett all they want.

I covet Matt Murray, Connor McDavid, and Aaron Ekblad. That doesn't mean that my team is ever going to come close to acquiring those players.
Not particularly good examples. To date, Bennett is simply potential - with little in terms of tangible results from that potential. Were they talking Monahan, you examples work fine.
Hopefully Bennett takes a nice step forward this year, on his way to a Scheifele type progression over the next few. I think this is possible. Failing to do much this year, and I think it's time to start lowering the bar some.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2017, 08:44 AM   #49
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Have you considered taking your own advice?
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2017, 08:45 AM   #50
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wouldn't trade Bennett for him, but the Dman on the Ducks that would fit the Flames like a glove is Josh Manson. IMO you take that guy and put him on the 2nd pair with Brodie and our top 4 becomes one of the best and most well rounded in the league.

Big, physical, can skate and move the puck. Perfect modern day shut down D man and as a bonus has a right shot. Plus the double bonus is next year he's still barely above league minimum cap wise and long term because he doesn't put up a ton of points is unlikely to make much more than $4 million against the cap.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2017, 09:06 AM   #51
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

A couple thinks annoyed me a bit reading his 30 thoughts. First, if it is Murray saying it, I would be tampering. Since Friedman said it on the ducks behalf it is news worthy.

Second, the big deal Friedman made about executive staff not being signed this late. The wonder kid Dubas in toronto doesn't have a contract for next season and he only speculates that it might secretly be done, but will wait till June 30th to see what is going on.

I get Treliving is a GM vs Dubas being an AGM, just seems in the Toronto market it would be a big deal and it wasn't. Maybe because when there is interest from both sides it isn't a big deal and should be a non story. Just weird how some of these Flames related stories are played out.

I usually just skim through the articles, maybe I will have to start paying attention to see if other players are singles out like this. I think it is just the off season and I may be hyper sensitive and making more out of this than what it really is, a passing thought. I blame edmonton for having media on the payroll as now I have to wonder if something is planted.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Robbob For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2017, 09:31 AM   #52
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I think the media landscape has changed. With the spate of recent layoffs, I think the 'insiders' are feeling pressure to come up with newsworthy scoops.
Rick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 09:34 AM   #53
the2bears
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
So now it's unacceptable, even "embarrassing" for you*, to criticise what the media say? Are they somehow above that?

* What does this even mean? That you've been shamed for having an account "on that site that criticises hockey insiders"?
the2bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 09:44 AM   #54
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
That's a little much.

Friedman lately has been saying whatever comes to his mind, without much substance. That's absolutely his right and I don't think it takes away from the quality he's otherwise capable of bringing, but just because he's a media personality doesn't mean he's absolved of justified criticism.

Just the other day (and it happens all the time) someone suggested we trade for Rask and a few posters jumped in and essentially said "That doesn't make sense, why is Boston trading Rask, why not just list Price or any other great goalie that's unavailable and that we have 0% chance of getting" which is a fair response imo. People are just holding Friedman to the same standard. Surely an adult professional hockey insider can take the same level of criticism as a random internet poster for saying something with the exact same quality content.

It was a dumb comment. "The Flames covet Sidney Crosby but are unsure they'd trade what it costs to get him" look, I'm an insider!
Patently untrue.

Elliotte has always posted or stated things that he hears from people inside the game. Never has he just said something that was his own personal opinion without making sure that the reader/listener knows it.

What's happened with social media/internet is that the audience has become collectively unable/unwilling to decipher the difference however, and then whatever the subject is comes back to bite Friedman (and those of his ilk) in the ass at times. This is a perfect example of that. He knows that the Flames are looking for another higher end Dman...then draws the line how that could possibly happen and we see that very reaction in this thread.

It's hardly his fault some are to lazy for even a little bit of critical thought even if that's the way things have gone in regards to media and the ability to interpret what is actually stated.
Old 05-28-2017, 09:52 AM   #55
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Patently untrue.

Elliotte has always posted or stated things that he hears from people inside the game. Never has he just said something that was his own personal opinion without making sure that the reader/listener knows it.

What's happened with social media/internet is that the audience has become collectively unable/unwilling to decipher the difference however, and then whatever the subject is comes back to bite Friedman (and those of his ilk) in the ass at times. This is a perfect example of that. He knows that the Flames are looking for another higher end Dman...then draws the line how that could possibly happen and we see that very reaction in this thread.

It's hardly his fault some are to lazy for even a little bit of critical thought even if that's the way things have gone in regards to media and the ability to interpret what is actually stated.
Agreed with all of that, and just to add it's society's need for the world to see their comment that has made it more difficult for insiders. Nobody just reads anything anymore, maybe thinking to themselves "Hmm, thought #5 was pretty useless to me".

Now every person that doesn't feel every one of Elliot's thoughts was worthy of making it to screen has to make a comment stating that, which turns into hundreds of whiny fans that make it sound like he should just stay off social media until he has a serious trade rumor to report.

**** that, just keep providing us with what you hear, no matter how small, and yes, add in your own thought process/beliefs and if some fans aren't going to put in any effort to understand what you're saying or dismiss your minor tidbits as not worthy of sharing then screw them, there's enough people out there that look forward to his info.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2017, 09:56 AM   #56
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Patently untrue.

You could even say he... says whatever comes to his mind without much substance.

I'm not sure a eulogy on the end of critical thought on CP is appropriate in light of people thinking "The Ducks have to trade a defenceman and like Sam Bennett" is a little lacking in substance and relevance. If he believes Bennett is on the block then that would at least add some substance, otherwise who is or isn't interested in him is irrelevant.

The Ducks like a 20 year old hard nosed center (and former 4th overall) looking for a cap-friendly contract with two promising NHL seasons already under his belt? Hot take.
Old 05-28-2017, 10:11 AM   #57
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
You could even say he... says whatever comes to his mind without much substance.

I'm not sure a eulogy on the end of critical thought on CP is appropriate in light of people thinking "The Ducks have to trade a defenceman and like Sam Bennett" is a little lacking in substance and relevance. If he believes Bennett is on the block then that would at least add some substance, otherwise who is or isn't interested in him is irrelevant.

The Ducks like a 20 year old hard nosed center (and former 4th overall) looking for a cap-friendly contract with two promising NHL seasons already under his belt? Hot take.
Critical thought absolutely is on it's way out the window. Maybe not quite eulogy time, but its headed that way. Also, Sam Bennett is a pretty big question mark, considering where he was drafted. I'm personally optimistic he'll turn into something, but there's definitely concern and that's likely why his name came up for Elliot.

That was a bit of a purposely rosy summary of what Bennett is, ended with "Hot take". That's actually kind of annoying, you've been above that stuff lately and I've been reading your posts more because of it.

If Bennett was on a better trajectory for a fourth overall, he'd likely be a surefire top six forward heading into a fairly large contract right now.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 10:12 AM   #58
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Yet that piece of news is far more than fans would be privy to regardless. Sometimes it is obvious enough that the average person could make that connection. (goalie x to Calgary) As far as we know, it's of particular note and that's really all it is. It's okay for it to be this way.

It sounds like your expectation of Friedman with these thoughts to have something that is concrete and relevant to all sides involved. It's easy enough to say that all teams are interested in a valuable/good player but it comes back down to conjecture from our parts as fans whereas Friedman has actual sources.

Last edited by Anduril; 05-28-2017 at 10:18 AM.
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anduril For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2017, 10:26 AM   #59
Frequitude
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the2bears View Post
So now it's unacceptable, even "embarrassing" for you*, to criticise what the media say? Are they somehow above that?

* What does this even mean? That you've been shamed for having an account "on that site that criticises hockey insiders"?
That wasn't criticizing what he said. That was criticizing the man himself. Discrediting and demeaning him. Its embarrassing for this community and site. And it is a pattern of a segment of this community and site. They love to criticize, demean and discredit members of the media. Time and time again. Millions, Loubardias, Francis, many more ... and now Friedman, one of the best in the biz for Christ's sake. It's like people got off so much on Eklund hating they just couldn't help but extend that to the main stream media and play by play professionals.

/rant.

I'm sure the Ducks would covet Bennett. If we had a different makeup heading into the expansion draft perhaps some sort of D trade could make sense. Even still though I probably keep Bennett. We've got 3 great Dmen and I want what Bennett has a good chance of turning into much more.
Frequitude is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Frequitude For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2017, 10:35 AM   #60
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

As I said earlier, I've got no problem with Friedman going off the cuff, but to expect that he should be immune to all criticism for the dots he connects or the statements he makes is a little off to me.

It's him providing information in a venue that pays him as a hockey insider. Again, I'm fine with him saying stuff like "where there's smoke there's fire" or suggesting that a team is interested in a player but might not trade for them (without suggesting that player is even available in the first place) but stuff like that is going to lead to some criticism because a lot of fans feel he should be above that.

I enjoy reading it all either way, but getting mad when someone criticisizes one of Friedman's "30 thoughts" is nonsense to me. He's a sport reporter, not God. I think people should feel free to be critical if that's what they want.

If anything the protectionism of Friedman while raking other guys over the coals is weird. I can't say I've seen one post protecting a guy like Dreger and calling his critics idiots.

EDIT: Millions is a good example, and I respect Freqitude's opinion more. Millions gets trashed around here, and Francis? Basically the second coming of Judas. But that seems fine while Friedman needs the kid gloves. Just weird.

Last edited by PepsiFree; 05-28-2017 at 10:38 AM.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post: