Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-27-2017, 06:12 PM   #1
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:
Default Friedman: Ducks really like Sam Bennett

from his 30 thoughts article were he suggests the Ducks might be willing to consider moving one of their defenders for Bennett, but he questions if they would do a deal with Calgary.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/3...d-dubas-leafs/

Quote:
6. No post-elimination injury revelation sent bigger shockwaves than Anaheim’s. When GM Bob Murray revealed torn labrums will knock out Hampus Lindholm four to five months and Sami Vatanen potentially longer because his is “worse,” the number one question coming from other teams was some variation of, “How much longer is ‘worse?’”

With the expectation that Cam Fowler is working towards an extension, the Ducks have decisions to make. (Very) Informal polling among Murray’s peers indicates most don’t think it will be Lindholm. “A stop sign goes up whenever you ask about him,” one said.

They have real potential to hit a home run with this deal, but if you need one of Anaheim’s defencemen to help you make the playoffs next year, are you willing to wait a month into the season for him? What if it’s two, or three?

7. Murray’s patterns are very interesting. He made two important deals with Vancouver (Kevin Bieksa and Ryan Kesler) and one with Edmonton (Patrick Maroon), but if you really look at his major trades, he prefers to go to the Eastern Conference. Bobby Ryan went to Ottawa, Kyle Palmieri to New Jersey, James Wisniewski to Carolina, Carl Hagelin to Pittsburgh, Frederik Andersen to Toronto. He’s done two deals with Jim Rutherford. I counted four with Marc Bergevin and three in the last calendar year with Lamoriello.

I can’t see him keeping one of these defenders west, unless he covets the third-overall pick from Dallas. I’ve heard the Ducks like Sam Bennett a lot, but would they really want to do this deal with Calgary?

Last edited by sureLoss; 05-27-2017 at 09:00 PM.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 06:19 PM   #3
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Makes no sense for the Flames to acquire a defender for Bennett when:

a) they aren't in a tight spot in terms of forward protection spots (unless they value Brouwer far too much)

b) they won't be able to protect the defenseman they acquire without exposing a guy like Lazar or Ferland, assuming that Monahan, Gaudreau, Backlund, and Frolik would be protected.

Nonsense speculation from Elliotte, who is way better than this.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2017, 06:24 PM   #4
bigrangy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Makes no sense for the Flames to acquire a defender for Bennett when:

a) they aren't in a tight spot in terms of forward protection spots (unless they value Brouwer far too much)

b) they won't be able to protect the defenseman they acquire without exposing a guy like Lazar or Ferland, assuming that Monahan, Gaudreau, Backlund, and Frolik would be protected.

He kind of isn't anymore.
Old 05-27-2017, 06:33 PM   #5
Prairiefire
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Seems Friedman has been talking crazy stuff for awhile now...
Prairiefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 06:40 PM   #6
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anaheim plays the way I hope Sam Bennett eventually does, so if they think he'll be able to play that way, and "covet" him enough that they would be willing to part with a guy like lindholm, it makes me want to keep him even more.
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mass_nerder For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2017, 06:45 PM   #7
taffeyb
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I hope not. Sam Bennett has great potential. They need to give him a chance with better line mates. Besides, I bought a Sam Bennett retro at season's end.
taffeyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 06:46 PM   #8
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

What I am about to say is pure hyperbole, but if the Flames traded Bennett to Anaheim I would stop cheering for this team, period. It would allow the Ducks to keep cycling Bennett/Perry type forwards yet again. I dont want Bennett screwing the Flames over forever either.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 06:50 PM   #9
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's just what the Flames need. Trade a skilled player with grit to the Ducks.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 06:52 PM   #10
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Bennett is going nowhere. Just Friedman making something out of nothing.
Old 05-27-2017, 07:02 PM   #11
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
That's just what the Flames need. Trade a skilled player with grit to the Ducks.
Seriously, I'd be friggin furious if this happened. You know Bennett would turn into a 70+ point player if he went to the Ducks, and he'd personally keep the Honda Center streak alive for another 11 years.
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 07:08 PM   #12
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Friedman never said anything about the Flames looking at trading Bennett, all they said was that Anaheim covets him.

Of course they do. What GM wouldn't?

I don't see any need for panic.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 07:10 PM   #13
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Ducks need to trade a Dman before expansion and the Flames can't acquire one before expansion so there is zero fit.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 07:16 PM   #14
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Friedman never said anything about the Flames looking at trading Bennett, all they said was that Anaheim covets him.

Of course they do. What GM wouldn't?

I don't see any need for panic.
Where's the panic?
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 07:27 PM   #15
Cantrader
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I think Bennett is going to be a star. Hope we do not trade him and he likes it here
Cantrader is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cantrader For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2017, 07:30 PM   #16
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrangy View Post
He kind of isn't anymore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairiefire View Post
Seems Friedman has been talking crazy stuff for awhile now...
One of Freidman's biggest issues isn't what he's saying, it's being an old school hockey personality struggling to say what he knows and hears without his words being misconstrued and exaggerated on social media.

This thread is a perfect example. Sureloss posts what Elliot said, complete with a pretty clear explanation that Calgary has nothing to do with this so far and our posters just see Sam Bennett linked to another team and everyone goes nuts calling him crazy and saying he's no longer a trusted insider.

It's a new world for old school insiders to stay relevant by still sharing what they hear but in a world where no one fully reads or understands anything before commenting.

Last edited by jayswin; 05-27-2017 at 07:33 PM.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 07:33 PM   #17
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ah, we're traditionally a pretty crappy team that suffers from inept management...so I could totally see us making a dumb decision and dealing Sam Bennett to a divisional rival like the Ducks - where he'd then make us suffer for the next decade.

...the hope is of course that with Tree at the helm, that we're done being an incredibly dumb/poorly run organization.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 07:36 PM   #18
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Correct me if I'm wrong but Anaheim would want to move a defenseman before the expansion draft, so if they traded for Sam Bennett then we'd be screwed because we'd now have to protect four D-men and less forwards?
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 07:46 PM   #19
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong but Anaheim would want to move a defenseman before the expansion draft, so if they traded for Sam Bennett then we'd be screwed because we'd now have to protect four D-men and less forwards?
You are correct. We have our 3 D protection slots taken already with Gio, Hamilton and Brodie.

And if we went 8 skaters 1 goalie we'd only be able to protect 4 forwards:

Gaudreau, Monahan, Backlund, Frolik which would leave Lazar and Ferland exposed so we'd essentially be trading Bennett + Lazar/Ferland for Vatanen (assuming he's the Dman)

Last edited by Roof-Daddy; 05-27-2017 at 07:48 PM.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 07:49 PM   #20
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anaheim can covet Bennett all they want.

I covet Matt Murray, Connor McDavid, and Aaron Ekblad. That doesn't mean that my team is ever going to come close to acquiring those players.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post: