Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum

Old 05-28-2016, 09:16 PM   #21
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarywinning View Post
The article should read humans take gorilla to forced captivity, don't secure site, allow Gorilla to babysit 4 year old then kill gorilla.
That'd be a pretty unwieldy title.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2016, 09:30 PM   #22
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagor View Post
"Mummy's right here."

Sedation wasn't an option I take it?
Sedation isn't instant the way it is in the movies.

As far as where the parents were, kids can get away fast, and can squeeze through things as well as a cat can at times. Can't say yet whether they were negligent.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2016, 09:33 PM   #23
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd say the zoo should be partially at fault here too. There should be absolutely 100% no possible way for visitors to enter any enclosure, let alone one that contains extremely large and powerful primates.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to N-E-B For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2016, 10:31 PM   #24
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
I'd say the zoo should be partially at fault here too. There should be absolutely 100% no possible way for visitors to enter any enclosure, let alone one that contains extremely large and powerful primates.
The zoo is 100% responsible for this, it's not like it was some drunked/ drugged up 20 yr old on a dare, it was a FOUR YEAR OLD. I'm a huge critic of "modern parenting" and we don't know all the circumstances here, but a fricken toddler stumbled into the gorilla cage. How is that even possible?
Old 05-28-2016, 10:54 PM   #25
To Be Quite Honest
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarywinning View Post
The article should read humans take gorilla to forced captivity, don't secure site, allow Gorilla to babysit 4 year old then kill gorilla.
Click Bait
To Be Quite Honest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to To Be Quite Honest For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2016, 11:19 PM   #26
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

There was a case like this a few years back somewhere else, kid was injured falling into the enclosure, the gorilla picked the toddler up and cradled him until the keepers got to the child, gorillas are a huge peaceful animal that are totally protective of their young.
I'm not going to criticize the zoo but I doubt the child was in any danger at all from the ape, the parents on the other hand will probably manage kill the poor wee #######.
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 11:38 PM   #27
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

How does a gorilla differentiate between a human adult and child? I would have thought for the most part we look entirely different from them so they could just sense the child as any other threat or intruder.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 11:41 PM   #28
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hate hearing about stuff like this. Poor gorilla.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 11:49 PM   #29
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
How does a gorilla differentiate between a human adult and child? I would have thought for the most part we look entirely different from them so they could just sense the child as any other threat or intruder.
I suspect they know it isn't an ape but something that small isn't a threat at all and their instinct to protect the groups young overrides any misgivings.
Old 05-28-2016, 11:49 PM   #30
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
There was a case like this a few years back somewhere else, kid was injured falling into the enclosure, the gorilla picked the toddler up and cradled him until the keepers got to the child, gorillas are a huge peaceful animal that are totally protective of their young.
I'm not going to criticize the zoo but I doubt the child was in any danger at all from the ape, the parents on the other hand will probably manage kill the poor wee #######.
Just because something happened one way once doesn't mean it was going to happen that way this time. I think it's pretty silly to state what was likely as opposed to the zoo staff who were there. It's not like they're just going to easily decide to kill the gorilla.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 11:53 PM   #31
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Just because something happened one way once doesn't mean it was going to happen that way this time. I think it's pretty silly to state what was likely as opposed to the zoo staff who were there. It's not like they're just going to easily decide to kill the gorilla.
I'm not arguing with their call, the massive financial and ethical risk if something went wrong is just to great for them to chance it, I'm just saying gorillas are incredibly gentle creatures, very protective of young and if the gorilla had meant to hurt the kid that video would have lasted around three seconds to a soundtrack of horrified shrieks and puking.
The Following User Says Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2016, 11:59 PM   #32
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2016, 12:58 AM   #33
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2016, 01:35 AM   #34
sun
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post
If only they could shoot his dumb ass mother instead.
Hah, you're an idiot. What a stupid thing to say. Get some perspective. Story summed up - Unlikely #### Happens Sometimes, Bummer.

I'd make a bet that you've left your child out of sight for a split second from time to time, but you'd probably welch on it.
sun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to sun For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2016, 02:20 AM   #35
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post
where the hell are the parents? They should be charged.
Well one of them was shot so its a solo mission now
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2016, 02:31 AM   #36
doctajones428
First Line Centre

Exp:

That makes me feel awful. On one hand the gorilla seemed to be protective of the child, but on the other it could have snapped him in half at any second.

Incidents like this really make me wish we had less zoos for entertainment and more for the protection of endangered/injured/sick animals
doctajones428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 04:23 AM   #37
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

RIP Mr. Gorilla
midniteowl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to midniteowl For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2016, 05:19 AM   #38
taco.vidal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

No one had gotten into the enclosure for 38 years.

I look forward to any more details to emerge. I hope this wasnt a case of parents taking a selfie with the kid and dropping him in by accident. After 38 years of visitors safely passing through, you have to wonder what was different on this day. Instagram?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Sutton View Post
The zoo is 100% responsible for this, it's not like it was some drunked/ drugged up 20 yr old on a dare, it was a FOUR YEAR OLD. I'm a huge critic of "modern parenting" and we don't know all the circumstances here, but a fricken toddler stumbled into the gorilla cage. How is that even possible?
taco.vidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 08:01 AM   #39
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

As with most things, I wouldn't rush to judgement based on a poorly shot web video. Yes the gorilla looked like he wasn't harming the boy but the situation is still extremely dangerous. Yes the gorilla may not have intended to harm the boy in that moment, but this is an extremely strong and unpredictable animal.

I suggest reading up on gorillas and what they do in their troops. In the wild they are consantly at war with other troops and within their own troop for male dominance. When a new male assumes leadership he kills all the children of the old dominant male. They are extremely territorial animals, and extremely vicious.

I am no Jane Goodall, but this is a awful situation where this course of action had to happen as to eliminate the very real risk boy wouldn't be killed or seriously injured. The screaming and panic of the people above could have set the gorilla off. Who knows, but I understand that this was as dangerous a situation as him falling into an alligator pit.

Now what happens next, yes a full review should be done and corrective action taken. However, in the moment I think the zoo made the 100% right decision.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 08:04 AM   #40
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDutch View Post
As with most things, I wouldn't rush to judgement based on a poorly shot web video. Yes the gorilla looked like he wasn't harming the boy but the situation is still extremely dangerous. Yes the gorilla may not have intended to harm the boy in that moment, but this is an extremely strong and unpredictable animal.

I suggest reading up on gorillas and what they do in their troops. In the wild they are consantly at war with other troops and within their own troop for male dominance. When a new male assumes leadership he kills all the children of the old dominant male. They are extremely territorial animals, and extremely vicious.

I am no Jane Goodall, but this is a awful situation where this course of action had to happen as to eliminate the very real risk boy wouldn't be killed or seriously injured. The screaming and panic of the people above could have set the gorilla off. Who knows, but I understand that this was as dangerous a situation as him falling into an alligator pit.

Now what happens next, yes a full review should be done and corrective action taken. However, in the moment I think the zoo made the 100% right decision.
Dian Fossey

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote