Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-26-2017, 09:13 PM   #4701
sleepingmoose
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
Sweet. I can't wait to see that arrive in Calgary. It will be great to see the new bird.
Anyone know the approximate delivery date?
Old 05-27-2017, 07:38 AM   #4702
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

They are supposed to be getting the first one and a couple of others in October now.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2017, 06:40 PM   #4703
Drummer
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Stratolaunch plane rolls out of Mojave Desert hangar.

http://abc7.com/technology/stratolau...angar/2059612/
Old 05-31-2017, 09:44 PM   #4704
FLAME ENVY
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer View Post

More genius from Scaled Composites, although Burt Rutan is enjoying retired life in Idaho his DNA is all over this project.
Old 05-31-2017, 10:48 PM   #4705
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Interesting story on the National tonight about Air Transat flights but operated by Flair Air from Mexico to Edmonton.

Lying on flight plans because their planes can't make it all the way? And divert to New Orleans? Interesting stuff.
Old 05-31-2017, 10:55 PM   #4706
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's not lying, you simply refile enroute and receive a new clearance. If you deviate from your flight plan, then yeah, that'd be a lie and highly illegal... but it's not like they file CUN-YEG and just go do whatever they want after that.
Old 05-31-2017, 10:56 PM   #4707
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
It's not lying, you simply refile enroute and receive a new clearance. If you deviate from your flight plan, then yeah, that'd be a lie and highly illegal... but it's not like they file CUN-YEG and just go do whatever they want after that.
The issue though is they are selling flights as "direct" when they can't fly it direct and likely charging a premium.
Old 05-31-2017, 11:00 PM   #4708
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
The issue though is they are selling flights as "direct" when they can't fly it direct and likely charging a premium.
Yes, but the lies they are telling the passengers are separate issue from their flight plans with ATC in which the destination was changed en route and a new plan filed upon landing.
Old 06-01-2017, 07:14 AM   #4709
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer View Post

I have been waiting to see the whole thing, over the years just little teaser pics showing a bit of the plane here and there. Then I go onto twitter last night and...
Old 06-01-2017, 07:35 AM   #4710
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

http://calgaryherald.com/business/lo...g-900-new-jobs

Viking Air may restart full production of the CL-415 Water Bomber and locate almost all of it at YYC. Resulting in about 900 jobs.

Quote:
“We have some interesting opportunities to make aerospace a pretty big deal in the Calgary region,” Curtis said. “The water bomber is about the size of a 737, it’s a big airplane. If we put the 415 back into production, it has the potential for 900 new jobs. And depending on how you multiply that, about 2,000 indirect jobs.”

Quote:
In preparation for a potential Calgary expansion, the company has been acquiring production and office space in the city within the last year, including a 71,000-square-foot manufacturing facility at McKnight Blvd NE and 36th Street NE and a 48,000-square-foot parts and support facility off of Deerfoot Trail on 8th Street NE. In addition, Viking has recently signed a lease for the former Field Aviation Hangars —about 140,000 square feet — on Calgary International Airport property.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2017, 10:36 AM   #4711
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
If they are selling them as 'direct' then they are telling the truth. Non stop is not the same as direct.
Old 06-01-2017, 10:37 AM   #4712
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
If they are selling them as 'direct' then they are telling the truth. Non stop is not the same as direct.
That is semantics that Transport Canada obviously has issues with according to the story I was watching last night.

Quote:
It was advertised as non-stop from my travel agent," one person wrote about a Flair flight from Kelowna to Cancun this past January. "The crew on board described it as a non-stop and made a point of telling the entire plane they normally made it without the stop.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/flai...ines-1.4096090

Not sure if this is the right thread for this, but I thought it would generate some discussion.

Last edited by Weitz; 06-01-2017 at 10:40 AM.
Old 06-01-2017, 10:48 AM   #4713
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah us Avgeeks will get all over the differences between non-stop, direct, and connecting flights.
Old 06-06-2017, 11:34 AM   #4714
stazzy33
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Had a really neat opportunity to visit the flight deck of an AC Embraer 190 after a flight from Ottawa to Edmonton yesterday. My girlfriend is afraid of flying and was having a hard time with the flight because of some turbulence. One of the flight attendants noticed and began chatting with us. After our conversation she arranged a visit to the cockpit after landing so my gf could meet the pilots and learn more about how planes and turbulence work. Once the plane landed and the other passengers had deplaned we went to the FD and my gf was able to sit in the captain's seat and talk with the FO for over 20 minutes. Afterwards the captain took a picture of the two of us in the cockpit. It was a great experience and some awesome customer service from the AC crew on this flight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by stazzy33; 06-06-2017 at 12:24 PM.
Old 06-06-2017, 12:11 PM   #4715
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hate turbulence too. Don't think I'll ever get over it.
Old 06-06-2017, 12:26 PM   #4716
stazzy33
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
I hate turbulence too. Don't think I'll ever get over it.
Apparently there is a program that both AC and WestJet offer to allow you to meet the pilots before the plane takes off and talk with them about the route, any expected turbulence, and what they will do to avoid it. From what we were told it is very good for those with a fear of flying.
Old 06-06-2017, 12:36 PM   #4717
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I posted this in the gear grinder threat, but maybe this should be here. This woman is ridiculous. Airlines take a lot of heat, but it shouldn't be for this. He doesn't hit her cell phone, she sticks it in his face and he pushes it away. If anything, she was assaulting him.

http://globalnews.ca/news/3503307/we...om-u-k-flight/

Last edited by TheAlpineOracle; 06-06-2017 at 12:42 PM.
Old 06-06-2017, 12:57 PM   #4718
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stazzy33 View Post
Apparently there is a program that both AC and WestJet offer to allow you to meet the pilots before the plane takes off and talk with them about the route, any expected turbulence, and what they will do to avoid it. From what we were told it is very good for those with a fear of flying.
Best advice I ever got was from a flight attendant.

The only time you should be concerned during a flight is if the flight attendant looks scared
Old 06-07-2017, 11:25 AM   #4719
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Huh, Flair Airlines has purchased the Newleaf Travel Company:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/newl...149722?cmp=rss

Flair was one of the operators of flights for Newleaf since it started up.
Old 06-07-2017, 05:59 PM   #4720
stevinder
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
Best advice I ever got was from a flight attendant.

The only time you should be concerned during a flight is if the flight attendant looks scared
Had an ex that was a WS flight attendant and actually enjoyed watching "Mayday" on Discovery. It was good to watch and get some pointers from all those air disasters.

Tags
airplanes , avgeeks , aviation , flight , spotters