Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-22-2017, 02:04 PM   #101
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Yesterday, and it sounds pretty rough. It's reviewing like an episodic cash grab, which is really sad as VR ghostbusters would be awesome.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 02:48 PM   #102
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Lame, they should have just taken the old Ghostbusters game assets with the classic firehouse and characters and rendered it in VR. Nobody wants to play in the 2016 Ghostbusters universe.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 04:51 PM   #103
gottabekd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I finally broke down and bought Batman: Arkham VR, since so many said it was one of the best PSVR experiences. I knew it was short, but I was surprised when I was done after about 1.5 hours. I was under the impression it was about 3-4 hours. There are Riddler puzzles to solve on a second playthrough which will really pad the time. I guess the "full" experience is about 4 hours with the second playthrough included.

It is a pretty good experience. Overall with PSVR my biggest complaint is the resolution is not always ideal. In Batman, most of what you look at is about 2-10 feet away (as in, your virtual self is indoor looking at items close by), and it really looks amazing at those distances. There is one scene when you are up high on a building, overlooking the traffic below, and it really triggered my fear of heights. Unfortunately, the cityscape is a bit of a blur because of the lack of resolution. I can just imagine in a few years when these headsets can pack in more pixels, it will really be amazing. For now, though, anything photorealistic has to be viewed up close.

So for Batman, it really is quite short. I don't really mind that. I find I get bored of games (like Arkham Knight), and so would rather a short, complete experience, rather than a padded out one.
gottabekd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 06:23 PM   #104
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

I gotta sell, the resolution is just so terrible.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 09:21 AM   #105
Flames89
First Line Centre

Exp:

NSFW (language)

Flames89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 10:04 AM   #106
Mccree
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Any new updates or reviews from users here. Thinking about getting one but the 600 cost is holing me back.

Mccree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 10:24 AM   #107
KevanGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I spoke to a guy in EB about his and he said he loves it but finds he doesn't play it much. Not enough to do with it he said. He did say that if you're considering getting it dont try it until you're ready to buy.
KevanGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 01:23 PM   #108
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mccree View Post
Any new updates or reviews from users here. Thinking about getting one but the 600 cost is holing me back.

If you're interested I'm looking into selling mine as part of a package. I have everything you could need plus most of the top games for it. Feel free to PM me.
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 01:27 PM   #109
Mccree
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

You are the second person that has offered to sell me theirs. Is there a reason you are selling? Not good, do use to often?

Mccree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 01:30 PM   #110
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You are the second person that has offered to sell me theirs. Is there a reason you are selling? Not good, do use to often?
Most people are probably selling it because of the lack of content. If you go into it knowing that you'll most likely play it a lot at first but only sparingly afterwards then you probably won't be disappointed.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 01:55 PM   #111
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

I play my PSVR about once per month.

Granted, I'm extremely busy with 2 jobs so I am never home so that could account for it. I have Batman Arkham, Rez, Dirt Rally, VR Worlds, all the demos.

Dirt Rally doesn't feel right unless I have a racing seat and wheel. The immersion is lost when I'm holding a controller.

The only way I could justify the cost of PSVR is that I basically use it as a second TV in my bedroom without having to hang a TV on the wall or ceiling. I lie in bed with it on and watch youtube, movies, play games with the wireless controller, etc. on what looks like a movie theatre size screen in front of my face.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 03:18 PM   #112
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

I played it a lot for the first few weeks when I bought it, but now I play it only a couple times a month. As with others, it's really the lack of content for me right now. I'm not big on multiplayer, so there are a few games that don't really interest me.

But I went into it expecting content to be a bit sparse initially, it's kind of a given for any new console / tech. I'm the guy who bought a PSP, PS Vita, PS2, Dreamcast, and Wii U early lol. All those had pretty sparse initial line ups, but grew stronger as time went by.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 04:06 PM   #113
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:
Default PlayStation VR

Quote:

It's a really cool piece of tech, but I just can't find the time for it. My PS4 backlog is growing every day and I also was an early adopter of the switch so I'm still trying to get through Zelda.

There are some really cool games for PSVR, but the above comments are right. Once you work your way through them it does become a bit sparse. Regardless it's very cool to use and to show off to friends.

Farpoint isn't too far so I may be tempted to hold onto mine until then but we'll see.

Also, I'm trying to save up for a big trip and selling my PSVR seems like a good way to accelerate that process.
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 02:26 PM   #114
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

They went hard at launch, but now the games are arriving in a steady stream instead of a downpour. It's also being populated by smaller studios who can push out games a little faster albeit at a lower quality. The AAA games are coming, but this first year isn't going to have much in that space. I have pretty high hopes to see some cool stuff at E3 this year.

Farpoint comes out next week, which comes with a gun peripheral. Most notable about the AIM controller is it has sticks on it for movement. The move controllers themselves are fine, but they don't have sticks which immediately hurts them. Any game that has hands (Job Simulator, Batman, London Heist etc.) ends up requiring a screwy function for locomotion. This is the first step towards correcting that. Starting next week there will finally be an option for FPS games, and in the PSVR space that's pretty huge. I'd love to see a game like Star Wars Battlefront II do something there.
Old 05-23-2017, 09:41 AM   #115
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

I'm mostly through Farpoint and it's been a wild time. If you have arachnophobia or really anything even remotely close to a problem with spiders, you might want to pass on this one. I don't have a spider issue and I've straight-up screamed about 5 times.

The gun is a total game changer though. The number of games it opens up is a great thing for VR. I do experience a fair amount of drift with the gun, so after a few minutes you're unknowingly holding it at a slight angle to keep it straight in the game. Not a huge deal, but mildly irritating.

I love indie games, but these bigger games are something special.
The Following User Says Thank You to Russic For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2017, 11:14 AM   #116
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

How is farpoint for someone who suffers from the nausea effect?

Personally, I refuse to pay $100 for the game and gun if I can't even play a demo of it.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 01:30 PM   #117
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
How is farpoint for someone who suffers from the nausea effect?

Personally, I refuse to pay $100 for the game and gun if I can't even play a demo of it.
Curious as well.

I feel VR would benefit from demos more then an average game.

Really hesitant to drop money if I think it will make me sick.
Jbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 02:18 PM   #118
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Unfortunately after Windlands it takes a ton to make me nauseated, so I'm not a great person to talk to about this.

What I can say is the devs were good about adding comfort settings. You can adjust the turn speed, the smoothness, or even if you can turn at all. By default the rear stick doesn't even do anything until you activate it. It's pretty forward driven, and you don't spend a lot of time spinning around or moving side-to-side.
Old 06-13-2017, 12:07 PM   #119
Superflyer
Close, but no banana.

Exp:

Lots of stuff revealed for PSVR at E3 so far.
Bravo Team looks like it could be really good

Impatient

Superhot

DOOM

Oh yeah and there was also Skyrim
Superflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Superflyer For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2017, 12:27 PM   #120
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

But seriously, horror and shooting games can f right off. I realize they are the obvious and easy target for first person style games, but good lord, how about a little more variety?

At least there's Moss, which looks almost like a Zelda-esque puzzle platformer starting... a mouse.

Also, lol at the FFXV Fishing Simulator.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote