Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-29-2012, 07:50 PM   #41
sun
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Interesting tweet from Gord Miller, break down of #of prospects in the WJC by NHL team:

Obviously some countries (like the US) haven't finalized rosters yet but interesting nonetheless
What does this list look like now that the tournament is on its way and the rosters are finalized?
sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:09 PM   #42
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun View Post
What does this list look like now that the tournament is on its way and the rosters are finalized?
not sure but Calgary still has 5
Alberta_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Alberta_Beef For This Useful Post:
sun
Old 12-29-2012, 09:12 PM   #43
moon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Boston would have lost one since it was their prospect that was cut when Sieloff was kept.
moon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to moon For This Useful Post:
sun
Old 12-29-2012, 10:33 PM   #44
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

http://thehockeywriters.com/2013-wor...n-by-nhl-team/

Flames have 5, including USA's back-up goalie
Columbus has 5 but one is Sweden's third goalie
Edmonton has 5
Florida has 5 but one is a benched Swedish defender who played once
Blues have 5, including two back-up goalies (Sweden and Canada)

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Freeway For This Useful Post:
Old 12-30-2012, 12:29 AM   #45
sun
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Thanks guys. I know it doesn't necessarily mean anything, but it's nice to see the Flames with a handful of prospects playing in this tournament. Glimmer of hope for the future.
sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 01:23 PM   #46
Yrebmi
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeway View Post
http://thehockeywriters.com/2013-wor...n-by-nhl-team/

Flames have 5, including USA's back-up goalie
Columbus has 5 but one is Sweden's third goalie
Edmonton has 5
Florida has 5 but one is a benched Swedish defender who played once
Blues have 5, including two back-up goalies (Sweden and Canada)
Vancouver (0)

Yrebmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 01:34 PM   #47
thymebalm
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Johnny Gaudreau is not having the kind of tournament I was expecting based on his college play. Can anyone who's watching more closely shed a little light on this one?
Old 12-30-2012, 01:46 PM   #48
moon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thymebalm View Post
Johnny Gaudreau is not having the kind of tournament I was expecting based on his college play. Can anyone who's watching more closely shed a little light on this one?
There has been some talk of it in the general WJHC thread on the main form but basically the whole top line for the Americans, and really the whole team, hasn;t clicked.

The top line has had an issue with giving the puck away and perhaps trying to do too much on their own. I would say Gaudreau has been 2nd best on the line, but others have thought he has been better than the other two.

The main thing I have seen from Gaudreau is that it is too easy to push him off the puck and take it away and he has done a little too much "dancing" for my liking not taking it directly to the net.
moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 01:49 PM   #49
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thymebalm View Post
His linemates have been terrible for one - Grimaldi is determined to be a one-man gold medal, and Miller ends every possession sequence with either a bad angle shot or by coughing up the puck. The line cannot forecheck and as a result is spending very little time in the offensive zone.

As for Gaudreau specifically, he has shown nice wheels and some good passes. However, his shot has been weak on many occasions and he has been a perimeter player. Maybe with different linemates we could see more from him, but so far he has been a bit disappointing (though if a couple of his good scoring chances had gone in, things might seem quite different) and his line has been awful.

It was interesting that they moved Grimaldi to Galchenyuk's line today and Galchenyuk was pretty much invisible in the Canada game. Coincidence? I don't think so.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 02:34 PM   #50
Savvy27
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Gaudreau has been as effective as any of the other top US forwards. In fact, I would say in the games vs Canada and Russia he was more effective than Galchenyuk as far as generating scoring chances and stripping guys of the puck. That being said, he has zero points, so in the end he's simply not getting it done.

He's been much better in the last two games than he was against Germany though. He makes plays quicker than most guys which compensates for his lack of strength. I'm not really concerned by his performance.
Savvy27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 02:43 PM   #51
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savvy27 View Post
Gaudreau has been as effective as any of the other top US forwards. In fact, I would say in the games vs Canada and Russia he was more effective than Galchenyuk as far as generating scoring chances and stripping guys of the puck. That being said, he has zero points, so in the end he's simply not getting it done.

He's been much better in the last two games than he was against Germany though. He makes plays quicker than most guys which compensates for his lack of strength. I'm not really concerned by his performance.
I am not concerned either, but fairly disappointed in the way Housley has used him and shocked at how he has allowed the team to play in general.

The entire US team has shown an incredible amount of individual play - it is pretty ironic that they have a 'Team First' logo on their helmets.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 06:46 PM   #52
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Granlund scored 2 goals (including the game tying goal with less than 2 minutes to play) and the shootout winner for the Finns today
Old 12-31-2012, 02:45 AM   #53
Stampede2TheCup
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Though I don't have much new to say about Gaudreau I'll still chime in about what I've seen. He's made a bunch of good passes every game, showing really good timing and vision. He's failed to score on his few good chances. A couple times he's been really robbed by amazing saves. You'd still like to see him bury a couple that he's had, but it's just the kinda thing that happens with all players from time to time so it doesn't really worry me. He does get knocked off the puck a bit easily sometimes, but a lot of times behind the net he's able to dodge defenders with all the room there is out there on the big ice.

As others have mentioned, there's been a big lack of chemistry on his line which has probably been a significant downer on Gaudreau's scoring chances/points. Miller is a big guy who likes to drive the middle and shoot a lot. He's been alright this tournament but I think sometimes with the room on the big ice he'd be better off passing or holding the puck a bit longer rather than taking the shot from further out. With his size you could see how he could be suited for the NHL soon. Grimaldi works his butt off but just doesn't seem smart for a top line guy at this level. He takes shots from silly angles and way far out. When he's not hopelessly trying to deke through too many guys, he's skating around like crazy and just banging the puck wherever as soon as he touches it like a fourth liner.

The US team's second line seemed to be clicking well before this last game so I can understand why they held off mixing things up too much. Maybe after a quieter offensive game we'll see a bit more experimentation. I find it interesting the 2nd line has been out as the 1st PP unit pretty much without fail, starting right from the pre-tournament game. I'd definitely want Galchenyuk out there as much as possible on the PP and I guess maybe with the short time frame it makes a bit of sense for chemistry, but still I think I'd prefer some amalgamation of their top forwards out as the 1st PP unit.
Stampede2TheCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 03:16 AM   #54
drPepper1
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Grimaldi is another Carson Germyn
drPepper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:38 AM   #55
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gaudreau with a pair today
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:20 AM   #56
StrykerSteve
Ass Handler

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edslunch View Post
Gaudreau with a pair today
2+1 actually.

Granlund with an assist in Finland's loss as well.

Last edited by StrykerSteve; 12-31-2012 at 11:22 AM.
StrykerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 01:22 PM   #57
handgroen
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrykerSteve View Post
2+1 actually.

Granlund with an assist in Finland's loss as well.
and that bum grimaldi held pointless, churchy lil' bugger

is your cat doing singing?
handgroen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 01:44 PM   #58
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by handgroen View Post
and that bum grimaldi held pointless, churchy lil' bugger
he was benched actually.
Old 12-31-2012, 04:06 PM   #59
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Grimaldi's play against Canada was terrible, so much so in fact it made me a little surprised they selected him in lieu of Matteau (at least he had size). As was most of the U.S's play. Homerism aside Gaudreau at least created most of the offensive chances off his stick. Some really slick passes. I noticed that he does tend to float a lot but then again with his size he doesn't really have the ability to successfully forecheck as much as he needs to.
Maybe we will se a different Johnny G. after his three point game today. Maybe those three points took some of the pressure off.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 04:48 PM   #60
Papi34
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

To me it doesnt really matter how many points Jonny Hockey puts up, its all about the chances hes creating for his teamates, he cant set up himself, and clearly neither can his linemates but at least he is creating offense that isnt being finished by other members of the USA.

Seeing his vision of the ice has convinced me that he will definitly be a pro player in the NHL he is to smart, fast, and skilled to not make it. Even his defensive coverage has been stellar! I counted at least 4 times against canada he made a great defensive play. His play in his own end is miles ahead of where i would have guessed.
Papi34 is offline   Reply With Quote