Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Back Burner: The Calgary Wranglers and Flames Prospects Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-07-2013, 03:20 PM   #1
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:
Question Interesting stories you'd like to read about the Heat?

Hey CP, I need your help.

Throw some ideas at me regarding feature stories that you'd like to read about the Heat.

For example, roommate quirks, a season ticket holder that hasn't missed a game, what players do on their spare time in a boring city like Abbotsford, etc.

I'm expecting at least one joke from MrMastadonFarm and fotze about players' girlfriends/wives, but everyone else should try and help me out and come up with something reasonable to write a story about haha. Remember, I'm going outside the box of normal everyday hockey. I'm wanting something a little more personal.

Thanks in advance everyone,

Pierre.

Last edited by Pierre "Monster" McGuire; 02-07-2013 at 09:49 PM.
Pierre "Monster" McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:29 PM   #2
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am not sure if something like this would work or even interest anyone else but is there anything players do to regulate their emotions to make it to the NHL. I know they want to work hard and make it but is there any mental barriers that get in their way. Also, confidence levels and how they differ when a player is brought to the NHL club vs being sent down.
keenan87 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to keenan87 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2013, 03:38 PM   #3
thymebalm
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I want to hear about the branding and community building work that goes into creating a successful AHL franchise. Heat has its ups and downs, and I want to know how they are slowly building the client base that will make Heat hockey synonymous with the Fraser Valley.

I'm also quite interested in Troy G. Ward. He's a really fascinating case to me and I'd like to know more about his overall philosophy of hockey and life. An article on how he is molding these young men outside of hockey would be neat. He gets them to cut their hair and do their dishes, and I find that kind of thing to be so interesting since it's a little edgy for a coach to get into players personal lives.

As far as the players go, I'd like to know if they have any mantras or daily reminders to keep them plugging away at the American level. The pay can't be enough to keep most of them around, many are making 100k~ and that's really not much considering the toll on the body and the travel and toll on family life that hockey entails. I'm wondering what keeps the fire burning, especially for those players who've past 25 and still give it everything they've got.

That's just a couple things off the top of my head... I'll be back.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:27 AM   #4
CMPunk
aka Spike

Exp:

First off...change the spelling in your title

I think it would be cool to read about superstitions players have game day. Maybe find out who the most interesting/odd guy on the team is and do a start to end game day story on him.

How about one on a rookie coming onto the team vs a vet who's a lifer in the AHL?
CMPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:17 PM   #5
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think some 'feel good' stories would be great. Just something like Kolanos' return to hockey from his injury, or Taylor being kept 'thrown away' from organizations once they had a good prospect in the system to develop. Stuff like that. I think the Aliu thing has been thoroughly discussed, but if there was something else to it, then great.

Maybe something with Wahl - I would be really interested to hear what he went through with his concussion that he had, and then what happened to him afterwards. Sounds like he asked for a trade (though, now that you work for the Heat, perhaps you can't really do this article). I would be really curious as to "Wahl's Story", and I would imagine he would have an interesting story, coming out of California after all.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 02:05 PM   #6
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

A piece about Bouma and how he is dealing with a season long injury would be interesting too.
Alberta_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 02:17 PM   #7
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

I want to know what the G stands for in Troy G Ward.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 02:18 PM   #8
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Go out for Czech food with Roman Horak.
Old 02-08-2013, 04:54 PM   #9
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd like to see something written on the perception of goalies coming to Abbotsford and the Flames system.... it seems we have figured out the formula for drafting and developing and reclaiming goalies. I want to see if Abbottsford is the place to be for goaltenders.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:14 PM   #10
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

What events charities do the players wives and girlfriends get involved with?
Old 02-08-2013, 06:31 PM   #11
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

I would actually like to know how a lot of them feel about being rated, evaluated and even reported on in their careers. How does it feel for someone to projected as a 2 way 3rd line center as their ceiling? Do they even read about it? I've always been curious as to how they deal with the constant evaluations and projections.
indes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to indes For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2013, 08:07 PM   #12
gargamel
First Line Centre

Exp:

I don't know if you'd get honest answers about this, but I'd be interested in reading about what evenings/nights are like on the road when they don't have a game the next day. Like, what's the typical night out in Peoria or Rockford? Are any of the AHL cities particularly fun or awful?

Quote:
Originally Posted by indes View Post
I would actually like to know how a lot of them feel about being rated, evaluated and even reported on in their careers. How does it feel for someone to projected as a 2 way 3rd line center as their ceiling? Do they even read about it? I've always been curious as to how they deal with the constant evaluations and projections.
Along those same lines, do any of them ever go on CalgaryPuck to see what fans are saying?
gargamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 06:19 PM   #13
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gargamel View Post
I don't know if you'd get honest answers about this, but I'd be interested in reading about what evenings/nights are like on the road when they don't have a game the next day. Like, what's the typical night out in Peoria or Rockford? Are any of the AHL cities particularly fun or awful?

Along those same lines, do any of them ever go on CalgaryPuck to see what fans are saying?
Was definitely curious about this! Maybe PMM doesn't want to ask because if they didn't know about it before they will definitely hit it up after he does! Might ruin a prospect or two haha
indes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to indes For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2013, 12:44 AM   #14
Stampede2TheCup
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Who are the practical jokers on the team and has there been any good ones this year? I'll try to think of more when I'm not so tired.
Stampede2TheCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:56 AM   #15
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ryan Howse could be an interesting story. His adjustment to the pro game on and off the ice.
Alberta_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:12 AM   #16
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Horak could be a very interesting story as well. Deciding to move from the Czech republic, learning English and adjusting to a new culture, and what he has done over the years to exceed expectations on where he would end up developing into as a player.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote