Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Should Treliving be Fired
Yes 21 3.25%
No 625 96.75%
Voters: 646. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 05-03-2016, 09:53 AM   #21
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Absolutely but why stop there? Put his head on a pike at the centre of an upcoming CalgaryNEXT presentation. Raze his house and salt his lands. GATTACA!
The Following User Says Thank You to ResAlien For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2016, 09:54 AM   #22
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

What a ridiculous notion. Fire a GM who came in the rebuild the team. He added a foundational piece in Hamilton for draft picks, signed Brodie to one of the best deals in the NHL, and got a better return for Kris Russell than Feaster got for Iginla, Bouwmeester, or Regehr
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2016, 09:54 AM   #23
nemanja2306
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Everyone wants a rebuild until they get one.

Sent from my D2005 using Tapatalk
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to nemanja2306 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2016, 09:54 AM   #24
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is easily the dumbest thread of the year.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2016, 09:55 AM   #25
Dan403
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Dumbest. Thread. Ever.

Last edited by Dan403; 05-03-2016 at 10:09 AM.
Old 05-03-2016, 09:55 AM   #26
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_carlson View Post
I think they fired the wrong guy today. It's like being pulled over for a speeding ticket only to see a BMW blow past going 150 while honking his horn at you.

My eyes look at the GM. I think he is getting a free pass from scrutiny.

The biggest problem with the past season was goaltending. Everyone who watched the team knew it and it has been beaten to death on the Board. The GM failed to address it early in the season when it was clear the offseason moves were not working out. He failed to address it mid-season when the playoffs were still possible.

At the deadline he got good value for Russel, Jones and Hudler, but also saddled the Flames with Backstrom as well.

The Pros I see from Treliving in the past season are:

Hamilton
Brodie Contract
Russell trade
Hudler trade

The Cons

Goaltending
Size up front
Failing to address large contracts from bottom 3-5 forwards, bottom 5-7 defencemen, and top 2 goalies

Do I think that we should fire him? Probably not, but if we're going to fire Hartley for last season, we should first fire the guy who hamstrung the roster.
Common please. I'm not sure Hartley should be fired either. But let's not get carried away. No one should be getting fired IMO based on the results of last season alone. I think far too many people hit the fast forward button last season after our surprise run to the second round.

This team was not even close to being a contender, despite what we saw two years ago. This team is in the very initial stages of a rebuild, one that thankfully is going well to some surprises in just how far along our young core has come. But we need to stop judging the GM on how they are addressing assets last season and even the one coming up. Some of the problems we have are because we did things a few years back assembling a team that was going to be in a rebuild. There is no need for example to address the large contracts on the bottom 5-7 D men, because they will address themselves in short order, long before this team is truly ready to contend.

In the same breath, I really hope Hartley didn't lose his job because we missed the show last year. Because then he'd be getting blamed for un-realistic expectations on a rebuilding team.

People were so fearful of short term thinking when this rebuild started a few years back. Then you make the playoffs once earlier than expected and all of that goes out the window. Why didn't Hartley get us into the playoffs, why hasn't Treliving figured out what to do with our overpaid bottom pairing D-men, etc....

Patience, folks. It surely can be argued that Hartley didn't deserve what happened today, but Treliving has done nothing but good things thus far, and has not paniced and made any stupid short term moves just to try and "make it" this year. Make no mistake, this was a big move by Treliving today, and if it doesn't work out, he absolutely needs to be judged on this one.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cleveland Steam Whistle For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2016, 09:55 AM   #27
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Should Treliving Be Fired?

No way.... goaltending fell off a cliff, but they're the same goalies who got the team into the playoffs last season.

They performed putridly this time, and were mishandled by Hartley
Old 05-03-2016, 09:55 AM   #28
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

To answer some of the points in your post, OP:

- BT 'saddled' the Flames with Backstrom, who proceeded to go 2-2-0, the best win:loss ratio of any Flame goalie this season. That's more impact than anything Jones would have done in the final games.
- Treliving kept what worked in net in 2014-15. Would you have blown up the netminding that brought you your first series win in 11 years? He'll have time to address it this offseason.
- How would you address Wideman's contract? Or any of the bigger contracts?

Again, this is all way too premature. Give him a chance to address all of this in the offseason. 2015-16 isn't even done yet.

The coach can't have any more impact on the team this year. That's why he was fired. However, the GM has a lot of work to do going forward, and it's the wrong time to stop him from doing his job.

Old 05-03-2016, 09:56 AM   #29
Hockey_Ninja

Exp:

Nope. Dumb thread.
Old 05-03-2016, 09:56 AM   #30
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
This is easily the dumbest thread of the year.

No, not its not.

Does Hartley get fired today if Treliving gave him statistically average NHL goaltending this year?

No, he doesn't.
Old 05-03-2016, 09:57 AM   #31
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Of the bad contracts he signed Raymond sticks out. Bollig was a bad pickup as well but he played 82 games for the Champs the year before.

He inherited Smid, Wideman, and Stajan which are the 3 worst contracts on the team.

Engellend appeared to be a bad signing but has been very solid his 2 years here
Old 05-03-2016, 09:57 AM   #32
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
No, not its not.

Does Hartley get fired today if Treliving gave him statistically average NHL goaltending this year?

No, he doesn't.
Treliving didn't tell all 3 goalies to #### the bed for two months to spite Hartley.
Old 05-03-2016, 09:57 AM   #33
Isikiz
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
LOL. Maybe it's just me then.

Then tell me what accountability do you propose for his failure to address the goaltending?

Or are you suggesting that Hartley could have done better with Hiller and Ramo last season?

If the Flames had even NHL average goaltending this year does Hartley still get fired?
He had two NHL-caliber goaltenders and they both ended up not working out (largely in part to the usage imo). I have no doubt that Treliving was doing what he could to try to address the situation - it's just not very good dealing from a position of weakness, where teams know Calgary needs significant help.

I'd rather not have a knee-jerk overpay for an average goaltender in the middle of the season.
Old 05-03-2016, 09:58 AM   #34
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good Lord no.
The Following User Says Thank You to trackercowe For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2016, 09:58 AM   #35
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
No, not its not.

No, he doesn't.
Maybe he does..........I don't think this was a reaction to missing the playoffs, so you never know.
Old 05-03-2016, 09:58 AM   #36
wooohooo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I'm in the stance that Trelivings is one of the best GM's out there. 3 goalies was a mistake but shouldn't excuse how poorly the goalies played.
Old 05-03-2016, 09:59 AM   #37
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
No, not its not.

No, he doesn't.
Kay, this sentiment that Treliving didn't give him NHL average goaltending is dumb, wrong, and dumb.

Last year's goaltending was statistically average, and the Flames made the second round!

Seeing this, Treliving kept what got him to the playoffs. This goaltending fell off a cliff this past year, but there was a very poor goalie market and Treliving was unable to make a move.

I'd have kept Ramo, Hiller, and Ortio after 14-15. I think a lot of people would have. They were good for us in that season.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2016, 09:59 AM   #38
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
No, not its not.

No, he doesn't.
Treliving did give Hartley "statistically average goaltending" this year. Because that is what those three were in 2014-15. You are using hindsight to demand Treliving be fired because he was unable to predict the future.
The Following User Says Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2016, 10:00 AM   #39
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
To answer some of the points in your post, OP:

- BT 'saddled' the Flames with Backstrom, who proceeded to go 2-2-0, the best win:loss ratio of any Flame goalie this season. That's more impact than anything Jones would have done in the final games.
- Treliving kept what worked in net in 2014-15. Would you have blown up the netminding that brought you your first series win in 11 years? He'll have time to address it this offseason.
- How would you address Wideman's contract? Or any of the bigger contracts?

Again, this is all way too premature. Give him a chance to address all of this in the offseason. 2015-16 isn't even done yet.

The coach can't have any more impact on the team this year. That's why he was fired. However, the GM has a lot of work to do going forward, and it's the wrong time to stop him from doing his job.
Easy for me to say that I would have made a move during the season when it was clear that none of the 3 were capable of the #1 job. In reality though, that decision is what a GM is paid to evaluate and paid to do. He made his evaluation, made his decision, and it turned out terribly.

Which is why i don't think the coach should bear the responsibility on the decision.
Old 05-03-2016, 10:01 AM   #40
Hatter
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

He absolutely should not be fired, but I do hope his evaluation of the season includes his own work.

The failure to address the goaltending situation at several points throughout the season sunk any chance of being competitive. The 3 headed monster was absurd, sending Ramo to the minors was absurd, and not making a trade to shore up the position when Ramo got injured was absurd. The only point in the season where the Flames had any real momentum was when Ramo took the crease for good. When he got hurt, giving Hiller the net was the end.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hatter For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread