Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-07-2016, 03:39 PM   #1
Trailer Fire
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default 2016 NHL Draft - Beyond Round 1.

We all know the 1st round is heavily talent laden. The likes of Laine, Matthews, Bean, Nylander, and undoubtedly the list goes on. However, lost in the love for the top prospects, is the other 200 guys.

There is reportedly a marked drop off in talent after the top 45 or so. However the same seems to be said for almost every other draft. I recall the talking heads spouting about how deep the 2012 draft is, despite not being overly top heavy. They got one part right, in that it wasn't top heavy. Moving on...

There is a plethora of players available in the later rounds. It's just a matter of luck and crafty drafting.

Notable 2nd Round Prospects:
Name - Position - GP - G/GAA - Pts/S%
Carter Hart - G - 63 - 2.14 - .918
Tim Gettinger - L/RW - 60 - 17 - 39
Sam Steel - C - 72 - 23 - 70
Tyler Benson - LW - 30 - 9 - 18
Libor Hájek - D - 69 - 3 - 26

Hart is the best goalie in the draft, projection wise. Athletic. Positionally sound. A little undersized.

Gettinger is interesting. Plays LW and RW. Not a high scoring winger, but he plays a smart, hard nosed game. Doesn't accumulate many PIMs because he doesn't play dirty.

Steel is a speedy, albeit undersized C. Not super flashy, but definitely skilled. Stock seems to have dropped a bit as of late. Projected to be a mid to late 1st towards the beginning of the year.

Benson' stock dropped because of his injury. Plays a lot like Steel, with a bit more edge.

Hájek is a gritty defender. Looks like a solid shutdown bottom 4 Dman.

Notable 3rd Round Prospects:
Sean Day - D - 57 - 6 - 22
Stepan Falkowsky - D - 58 - 9 - 32
Tage Thompson - C/RW - 36 - 14 - 32

Day is a former Exceptional Status player who's draft stock has dropped considerably. Though his offensive play is mediocre, he plays great defence, and skates much like Jay Bouwmeester. He can play physical too.

Falkowsky is a giant. 6'7" and 225 lbs. If he hits you, you'll feel it for a long time. He has a booming shot, albeit with Phaneuf-like accuracy at times. He has a great outlet pass and thinks the game quite well. 200ft player, but he needs to work on his game in both ends.

Thompson is another big boy at 6'5" and has room to bulk up at only 185lbs. He seems to be another good 200ft player. Despite his size, he doesn't use it ala Joe Colborne. Good on the cycle, goes into the dirty areas. His game lacks edge, and has had injury issues almost every year. Durability is problem.

Ty Ronning, Cliff Pu, Brayden Burke, David Quenville, Artem Anisimov, Wade Allison, and Mitch Elliot are other names that have made a bit of a splash. It will be interesting to see where hey end up, especially Ronning and Burke.

Two names that I see as incredibly interesting for late round picks are Griffen Outhouse and Brinson Pasichnuk.

Griffen Outhouse - G - 27 - 1.82 - .937
Brinson Pasichnuk - D - 52 - 20 - 65

Outhouse has outstanding athleticism and positioning. He directs rebounds into safe areas for his admen to clear out. Major downside is his stature at 5'11.

Pasichnuk has great offensive awareness, and is sound defensively as well. Very strong 2-way play. He is a bit of a late bloomer, but I see shades of Brodie in his game.
Old 04-07-2016, 03:42 PM   #2
Trailer Fire
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default 2016 NHL Draft - Beyond Round 1.

I am operating under the assumption that the Dallas pick will be in the second round, giving us one 1st, three 2nds, one 3rd, two 4ths, one 5th, two 6ths, and no 7th. Giving me us a total of 10 picks.

If I had my way, outside of our 1st, I'd like to see us take:

2nd round:
Nathan Bastien
Tyler Benson
Stepan Falkowsky

We address size and skill down the middle wth Bastien. We gain a skilled LW with top 6 (possible top 3) upside. Falkowsky is slated to be a 3rd rounder, but seeing as we don't have a second 3rd round pick, one of our 2nda will do nicely. At 6'7 with skill to match his size and grit, I'll take the chance. Think Kanzig with better skating, and better offensive instincts.

3rd round:
Tage Thompson

Tage is a sizeable right shooting right winger who shows grit and skill. Exactly what Calgary needs. Projected as a middle 6 forward, I have hope of him turning out.

4th round:

Ty Ronning
Dante Salituro

Queue the size-lacking skill. Both guys have high offensive upside, without the height nor weight to match. Both show speed, tenacity, and a certain artistic flair with the puck. Seems worth the risk to me.

5th round:
David Bernhardt

Bring on the hulking shutdown Swede. He has a mean streak reminiscent of Deryk Engelland.

6th round:
Griffen Outhouse
Brinson Pasichnuk

I like both these guys. We have sizeable goalies on our system, but no goalie has the athleticism or dexterity of Outhouse. Pasichnuk is another Brodie-esq defender. Lots of skill to compliment our back end.

Last edited by Trailer Fire; 04-07-2016 at 04:34 PM.
Trailer Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trailer Fire For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2016, 04:56 PM   #3
JJ1532
First Line Centre

Exp:

This part of the draft is starting to have me more interested than the 1st round. We'll be getting a stud, no matter if we pick 1st or 9th. But the 2nd round onwards makes things more interesting. I'm working off the likelyhood that we have Dallas' 2nd, not their 1st. Worst scenario and all that. Those extra 2nd round picks will come in handy if we see a guy dropping in the 2nd round and want to trade up to get him, a la what we did to get Kylington. Or maybe we trade up using 2/3 of the picks and get into the 1st round?

I'd be very tempted to grab Hart if he's still available. I know we have Gillies and McDonald, but I don't think you can ever have too many goalie prospects in the system. Wouldn't put it past them after they took McDonald out of the blue a couple of years ago either. Saying that though, I reckon a team that is lacking in goalie prospects might well take him early in the 2nd. Like the look of Tyler Benson as well.
JJ1532 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 05:10 PM   #4
Point Blank
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Another goalie would be nice, I bet the Flames will be targeting one with one of their seconds.

And correct me if I'm wrong but isn't there a relatively poor record with draft droppers? I thought I read that somewhere
Originally Posted by Hockey Fan #751 View Post
The Oilers won't finish 14th in the West forever.

Eventually a couple of expansion teams will be added which will nestle the Oilers into 16th.
Point Blank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 05:39 PM   #5
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think day will be either a late first or a second round pick. I'd like to get any of day falmowski, tage Thompson or bastien. I'd live for the flames to take outhouse, just for the name.
Old 04-07-2016, 06:09 PM   #6
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

The draft second-timer I am most interested is C Rem Pitlick. On the smaller side at 5'9", but not at all undersized at 195lbs - he's a tank with one of those St. Louis / Cammalleri type builds. The numbers he put up in the USHL as an 18 year old (88 points in 54 games) are not insignificant. These are elite numbers for that league, comparable to what Kyle Connor and Brock Boeser did as 17-18 year olds just a year ago. The upside here is worth drafting.

These are the other guys I'm thinking would be good uses of our seconds:

RW Alex DeBrincat
C Clayton Keller

Some might argue these are both first round talents. The skill is there. But size. Just a season ago, another NTDP forward, Bracco fell from "rankings" that had him in the mid-twenties yet he was not drafted until around 61 OA. As volatile a pick as any, the Flames would be remiss to let Keller slip if he's there at any of our later picks.

DeBrincat on the other hand is one of the top OHL scorers, he's a right handed shot, and he's a player who has been putting up huge numbers in that league for a long time despite his youth. One of the two could very well be there at 27, 28, 29, 30, or 36.

RW Pascal Laberge

Another first round ranked guy, It's probably optimistic for him to fall to one of our picks. But he was mighty impressive at the CHL Top Prospects game. He's got the stats of a primary passer, but in that game he was sniping all over the place with a lethal right handed shot. Can play the corners game as he's got a similar build to Backlund.

LW Cameron Morrison
Did I mention the USHL is not an easy league to put up the biggest numbers? Morrison was a PPG in that league despite playing a style that usually takes a longer time to fully develop. 6'2, 200lb power forward. Ranked 59 by CSS Midterm rankings, but I expect him to be a strong target at #36.

LHD Sean Day
A headcase, "supposedly". Didn't put up amazing numbers, apparently. Who cares? This guy is massive, he can skate, he has offensive talent, and we can let him develop at his own pace. There's way more raw talent there than Wotherspoon or Sieloff. Doesn't even need to develop into a top 4 guy, if he can be a smooth skating #6 he would be a heavily coveted asset. Take him, and develop him. Who knows, maybe he hits his potential, which I'd put around a #2 Dman. If not, then NBD, because he's got the kind of tools worth working with for a depth player.

C Mitchell Mattson
High Schooler. Probably best described as a project pick. He's 6'4" and he's skilled though. Absolutely worth a gamble with the Florida pick if he's still there. Scouting report from Red Line Report:

Quote:
....we’ve been able to see the lanky 6-4 center showcase his creativity and skill in all three zones, and he strikes us as being similar to Blake Wheeler at the same age. ....lack some urgency at times, but we do like his development path...North Dakota next season ... program has a long history of breaking down bad habits and turning players into monsters...surprisingly effective lateral movement ...ability to slow the play down.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...epth/80668094/

RW Taylor Raddysh

Pretty much the kind of prospect we have in Brett Pollock, except a RW version.

Last edited by GranteedEV; 04-07-2016 at 06:43 PM.
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2016, 06:18 PM   #7
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Laberge would be awesome. I think the Flames would probably have to trade up (something like their own 2nd and 3rd for a late 1st), but I'd be all for it.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 06:33 PM   #8
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
Laberge would be awesome. I think the Flames would probably have to trade up
Go Stars
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2016, 06:46 PM   #9
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just in case people are unsure of what picks the Flames have outside of round 1:

1. 2nd round - Flames pick (roughly 35th)
2. 2nd round - Panthers pick (roughly 55th)
3. 2nd round - Stars pick (roughly 58th) ***Becomes Stars 1st round pick if Stars win firts two rounds and Russell plays 50% or more of their games (roughly 28th)
4. 3rd round - Flames pick (roughly 65th)
5. 4th round - Flames pick (roughly 95th)
6. 5th round - Flames pick (roughly 125th)
7. 6th round - Flames pick (roughly 155th)
8. 6th round - Wild pick (roughly 170th)
9. 7th round - Flames pick (roughly 185th)

Whether BT keeps all the picks, or trades some (EG Dougie Hamilton last year) it should be a busy draft for Flames fans following along.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2016, 07:04 PM   #10
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sorry to nitpick but the Dallas pick wouldn't be 58th. The only way it would be 58 would be if they made the final 4, which would make it a 1st round pick.

If they don't make the 3rd round, it will probably be 55th or 56th.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2016, 07:08 PM   #11
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

2nd round:
Sean Day
Tyler Benson (may or may not slip down)
Markus Niemeläinen
Simon Stransky
Sam Steel

3rd:
Vladimir Kuznetsov
Igor Korshkov (pretty please)
Dimitry Sokolov
Sure, my 3rd round wish list is Russian heavy but they're all legit good players. And this draft should be one to take a bit of a shot with some Russian factor kids.

4th and beyond:
Frederik Forsberg
Eetu Tuulola
Maxim Lazarev (3rd part of the Dubois-Svechnikov power trio from Cap Breton.)
Kristian Reichel (Ex-Flame Robert Reichels son)
dammage79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 07:35 PM   #12
Trailer Fire
First Line Centre

Exp:

@GranteedEV

Pitlick is a guy I'd love. 88Pts in 54 isn't just not insignificant (ultra-rare triple negative?) that is amazing. He has 25 more points than the next closest guy who played 1 less game. Un. Be. Leavable.
Old 04-11-2016, 12:48 PM   #13
Trailer Fire
First Line Centre

Exp:

Oskar Stal Lyrenas is another interesting name. And not just for the name itself.
6'1 and 194 lbs. He is a right shooting right winger playing for MODO's U20 club. Posted 28 points in 36 games.

The reason I picked Stal Lyrenas over names like Wahlgren and Lindholm is because he fits a desperate need of ours, as the other top scorers are medium-to-undersized left shooters that play a bit of a softer game.

I've watched a few MoDo J20 highlight packages and he seems to be a strong skater with a nose for the net. Seems to pick up a fair share of garbage goals, but has an excellent wrister as well. Reminds me a bit of Sean Monahan, just less handsome.

Otto Koivula is a 6'4 220lbs L/RW with Ilves U20 that posted 58 pts in 49 gp. Not much of an edge to his game, but he has skill, and a strong, fluid stride. I don't know much about his play in his own end, but he looks to be the king of takeaways in the offensive and neutral zones.

I just had a wet dream about a Koivula - Jankowski - Smith line. If all 3 reach their potentials we would have a very big, hard forechecking line with skill and speed.
Old 04-11-2016, 03:19 PM   #14
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailer Fire View Post
I am operating under the assumption that the Dallas pick will be in the second round, giving us one 1st, three 2nds, one 3rd, two 4ths, one 5th, two 6ths, and no 7th. Giving me us a total of 10 picks.

If I had my way, outside of our 1st, I'd like to see us take:

2nd round:
Nathan Bastien
Tyler Benson
Stepan Falkowsky

We address size and skill down the middle wth Bastien. We gain a skilled LW with top 6 (possible top 3) upside. Falkowsky is slated to be a 3rd rounder, but seeing as we don't have a second 3rd round pick, one of our 2nda will do nicely. At 6'7 with skill to match his size and grit, I'll take the chance. Think Kanzig with better skating, and better offensive instincts.

3rd round:
Tage Thompson

Tage is a sizeable right shooting right winger who shows grit and skill. Exactly what Calgary needs. Projected as a middle 6 forward, I have hope of him turning out.

4th round:

Ty Ronning
Dante Salituro

Queue the size-lacking skill. Both guys have high offensive upside, without the height nor weight to match. Both show speed, tenacity, and a certain artistic flair with the puck. Seems worth the risk to me.

5th round:
David Bernhardt

Bring on the hulking shutdown Swede. He has a mean streak reminiscent of Deryk Engelland.

6th round:
Griffen Outhouse
Brinson Pasichnuk

I like both these guys. We have sizeable goalies on our system, but no goalie has the athleticism or dexterity of Outhouse. Pasichnuk is another Brodie-esq defender. Lots of skill to compliment our back end.
Just wanted to point out, that as Roof-Daddy said, we only have one 4th. However, we do have our 7th.

Great posts though
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 03:29 PM   #15
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Anybody interested in Kale Clague from Brandon?
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 03:32 PM   #16
Trailer Fire
First Line Centre

Exp:

I could have sworn we had a 2016 4th from a trade a year or two ago. I probably should have researched this further.
Old 04-11-2016, 03:51 PM   #17
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailer Fire View Post
I could have sworn we had a 2016 4th from a trade a year or two ago. I probably should have researched this further.
Yeah, we could have gotten a 4th from Nashville if Reinhart had played a certain amount of games. He didn't, so we didn't get anything.

We ended up not giving a 7th for Freddie Hamilton in a similar trade.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 1qqaaz For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2016, 04:07 PM   #18
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cameron Morrison would be my pick @34.

6-2 C/LW that finished 2nd in the USHL in scoring playing on the team that Kyle Connor played on. Decent speed + good shot = good times.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Caged Great For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2016, 06:01 PM   #19
Trailer Fire
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bax View Post
Anybody interested in Kale Clague from Brandon?

Clague would be great in the late 2nd, but I don't think I'd use anything higher than Dallas' 2nd. I've taken in a few Wheat Kings games this year (online viewing, not in person) and he leaves you wanting more. He reminds me a lot of Dennis Wideman with better skating. He is also almost entirely devoid of a shot.

Pros:
-Great outlet pass
-Excellent ability to pinch, then get back
-High end ability to make offensive zone cross-seam pass
-Thinks the game from the red line in very well

Cons
-Absolute muffin of a shot. I don't know who I could compare his shot to. Me?
-Liable to make frequent defensive gaffs
-Not terribly physical or tenacious

He's a bit of a project pick, and I don't think he'd be worth he trouble. His passing ability is his biggest saving grace.
bax
Old 04-12-2016, 01:02 AM   #20
Trailer Fire
First Line Centre

Exp:

Oleg Sosunov is a big, big boy. 6'8 and 240+ lbs. Finding highlights on him is next to impossible, but my Google-fu tells me he is a punishing shut-down defenceman with an absolute booming cannon of a slap shot. Downside is he has a lack of mobility. Poor acceleration coupled with a low end top speed. Lucky for him, one of his strides would equate to 3 of Johnny Gaudreau's.

All in all, I see him going late 6th, or into the 7th round. If at all. I think because of his size someone will throw a pick away for him. He (very very very) likely doesn't become a Chara-like defender, but he could be a very punishing, very intimidating player to line up against.

Part of me wants to run a mock draft, using a simulation of the playoffs, as well as a single lottery run. The other part of me knows I should be trying to, you know, get a job.