Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-2016, 09:15 AM   #601
JayP
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladtheImpaler View Post
They are all rushing out their "insight", so that they can be "the guy that called it first". I don't think there is any substance to what any of them say, except, oddly enough, Francis - he seems pretty sure it's Boudreau, and I am guessing he is getting his info from the ownership group. Whatever, you think of Francis, he seems to get tidbits from on high...
Yeah, it's the sad state of twitter "journalism". There's no hint of inside information here. It's just a guy pointing out that Brian Burke and Randy Carlyle have past connections (obviously) and then hinting at a rumor without actually putting himself out there and stating it outright. Either he's a candidate or he isn't - saying to "expect" something is just a cop out.
JayP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 09:17 AM   #602
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Doom View Post
Sutter has got to be a strong candidate here...

Personally I think the main reason why would be Gio. If I recall Sutter basically gave Gio his shot when nobody else really knew who he was. He gave him that contract out of Russia if I believe as well. Also being the captain - and I am totally making assumptions here - I would think that Gio's input had a lot to do with the new coaching direction.

On top of that you have things like...

Sutter's truculent approach
Sutter's D approach
Sutter Alberta connection
Sutter's unfinished business here
The Phaneuf deal (ok I'm stretching it here haha)
Gelinas is still around (another Sutter connection)

Anyways I think it's a greater possibility than people think...
Sutter would be a great coach. I agree that he's a hardass like Hartley but smarter about it. You are mistaken a little about the Gio connection. Yeah, Sutter gave him his breakthrough contract here. But he also was the reason Gio was playing in Russia.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 09:21 AM   #603
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Warrener said this morning that Hartley and Sutter were different types of demanding coaches (mainly Sutter knew when to back off and to reward). Also seemed to have a lot of info now emerging that the players didn't like playing for Hartley at all (which he contrasted with paying for Sutter). Of course, that's not the be all and end all - I read somewhere that Peplinski and MacDonald hated playing for Badger Bob, who I think is one of the best coaches ever.
Old 05-04-2016, 09:23 AM   #604
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladtheImpaler View Post
They are all rushing out their "insight", so that they can be "the guy that called it first". I don't think there is any substance to what any of them say, except, oddly enough, Francis - he seems pretty sure it's Boudreau, and I am guessing he is getting his info from the ownership group. Whatever, you think of Francis he seems to get tidbits from on high...
Well Ken King does have that Calgary Sun connection - and Francis does seem to have access to info within that organization especially for things that King would have direct involvement with.

Personally I feel like the timing makes sense too.

Flames season finished on April 9th and the end of season interviews were later that week.

Nothing happens for 3 weeks and Treliving was scheduled to fly out for the World Championships on Friday - which is why Burke was representative in Toronto for the draft lottery.

All of a sudden Boudreau is fired on Friday, Treliving cancels his flight to the world championships, meetings were supposedly held by Flames management on Sunday & Monday and Hartley was fired on Tuesday.

It easily could just be a coincidence, but IMO there appears to be something else going on here.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2016, 09:46 AM   #605
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

I don't think its fair to suddenly stand up and say players don't like playing for Hartley.

What is the context?
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 10:07 AM   #606
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Well Ken King does have that Calgary Sun connection - and Francis does seem to have access to info within that organization especially for things that King would have direct involvement with.

Personally I feel like the timing makes sense too.

Flames season finished on April 9th and the end of season interviews were later that week.

Nothing happens for 3 weeks and Treliving was scheduled to fly out for the World Championships on Friday - which is why Burke was representative in Toronto for the draft lottery.

All of a sudden Boudreau is fired on Friday, Treliving cancels his flight to the world championships, meetings were supposedly held by Flames management on Sunday & Monday and Hartley was fired on Tuesday.

It easily could just be a coincidence, but IMO there appears to be something else going on here.
The timing does look like the Flames were waiting to see the fate of an employed head coach and pounced when the opportunity was prevented. That said I have heard weeks ago if Hartly was to be fired that Travis Green was a coach the organization was interested in as I had his name out there immediately after the firing before all the media tweets.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 10:40 AM   #607
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
I don't think its fair to suddenly stand up and say players don't like playing for Hartley.

What is the context?
The context is Stajan be mad he's a 4th liner and Wideman be mad he's a 3rd pairing D and Raymond be mad he's an AHLer

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 10:41 AM   #608
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wouldn't be surprised if they were waiting on the market and that they have other names in mind (Green, Dineen, etc).

But I personally feel like the timing of this happening now was because Boudreau was fired last week and they knew they needed to move quick if they wanted in on the Boudreau sweepstakes.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 10:45 AM   #609
saillias
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
The context is Stajan be mad he's a 4th liner and Wideman be mad he's a 3rd pairing D and Raymond be mad he's an AHLer
That's not the context at all.

The entire 960 radio crew has a wide variety of anecdotes and stories that they are hesitant to share these past couple days because they didn't want to come off as bashing a guy as he gets shown the door. Even Loubardias yesterday when Steinberg had him on repeated the number 1 thing is "how you deal with people."

Things they did share:
-Coburn has a is rumored to have a clause in his contract that he can't be traded to a team coached by Hartley
-Warrener knows and is friends with many guys who do not like or respect Hartley and wouldn't want to play for him
-One thing that really didn't sit well with this team, this past season, was when they were on that home-ice winning streak Hartley didn't let up or give them any off-days. I'm not sure how big of a deal this is but this is what they shared, this really disheartened the team, according to the 960 guys.

Last edited by saillias; 05-04-2016 at 10:57 AM.
saillias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 10:51 AM   #610
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by saillias View Post

The entire 960 radio crew has a wide variety of anecdotes and stories that they are hesitant to share these past couple days because they didn't want to come off as bashing a guy as he gets shown the door. Even Loubardias yesterday when Steinberg had him on repeated the number 1 thing is "how you deal with people."

Things they did share:
-Coburn has a clause in his contract that he can't be traded to a team coached by Hartley
-Warrener knows and is friends with many guys who do not like or respect Hartley and wouldn't want to play for him
When I heard them talk about it, the Coburn, thing was just a rumour they could not confirm. Did that change?

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 10:54 AM   #611
saillias
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Sorry, Coburn is *rumored* to have that clause.
saillias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 11:40 AM   #612
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by saillias View Post

Things they did share:
-Coburn has a is rumored to have a clause in his contract that he can't be traded to a team coached by Hartley
-One thing that really didn't sit well with this team, this past season, was when they were on that home-ice winning streak Hartley didn't let up or give them any off-days. I'm not sure how big of a deal this is but this is what they shared, this really disheartened the team, according to the 960 guys.
Pretty sure GrantedEV was joking, since for example Raymond being waived was a Treliving decision. But you are spot on with the context from what I heard this morning. Apparently players expressed (to guys on other teams) that they didn't like Hartley even last year when they were doing so well.

This all surprises me, because he's such an affable guy with the media but if he's truly different with players than with the public, that's not really a good thing.
Old 05-04-2016, 11:52 AM   #613
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Exactly how is being worked hard in the middle of the season while the team is doing well and chasing a playoff spot "disheartening"?

If these millionaires don't want to go to work everyday then maybe they shouldn't be on the team, or league for that matter.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 12:03 PM   #614
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pitchforks if its Randy Carlyle. He had a weak team in TO, but he doesn't strike me as kind of guy to nurture younger talent.
dustygoon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dustygoon For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2016, 12:04 PM   #615
Cole436
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Exactly how is being worked hard in the middle of the season while the team is doing well and chasing a playoff spot "disheartening"?

If these millionaires don't want to go to work everyday then maybe they shouldn't be on the team, or league for that matter.
It's like managing any sort of job. You need to know your people and when it's the right time to push or back off.
Old 05-04-2016, 12:09 PM   #616
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

My question is, did the players in Anaheim like playing for Boudreau?
midniteowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 12:11 PM   #617
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post

Millionaires or not, at the end of the day, if they're not producing, they're not producing. If they respond better to a softer coach, then I'm all for bringing in someone like that.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 12:21 PM   #618
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by midniteowl View Post
As with any locker room there will be players that don't like the coach. As long as the team leaders are on the same page as the head coach that's the important thing as we saw in Calgary where Iginla wasn't on the same page as Playfair or Brent while Regehr and Kipper weren't fans of Keenan and really none of those coaches had as much success as they should have with those rosters. I don't believe Hartley was fired because of the players. I believe he was ultimately fired because of the poor special teams, poor defensive play and posession.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 05-04-2016 at 12:23 PM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2016, 12:23 PM   #619
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think it's perfectly fine to hate the coach. After all, their job is to push and motivate.

But they should always respect them.
Old 05-04-2016, 12:24 PM   #620
RedHot25
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by midniteowl View Post
I would think so; I'm pretty sure I heard Duhatscheck (or someone else with credibility) say that Boudreau is the complete opposite. A players coach through and through. Players in general love playing for him. Apparently at some point he was rumoured to have gone into the dressing room and said "well boys, if we don't turn it around now, the new guy is going to be a lot less fun to play for than me". They promptly started to turn things around. Wish I could remember exactly who said this on the radio.
RedHot25 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RedHot25 For This Useful Post: