Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2016, 02:49 AM   #41
Isikiz
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Panarin shouldn't be punished for his years in the KHL, just as Ekblad shouldn't have gotten special recognition for being 18 in his year. The trophy definition is set - The Calder Memorial Trophy is an annual award given "to the player selected as the most proficient in his first year of competition in the National Hockey League (NHL)."

If the NHL wants, they can implement a new Makarov-like rule (Panarin-rule?) to better define the award.

Though I think Ghostbear deserves some recognition, Panarin should win it. Obviously playing with Kane helped his totals, but anyone saying Panarin just fed off of Kane hasn't seen him play enough. He's a stud.
Isikiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 03:20 AM   #42
T@T
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isikiz View Post
Panarin shouldn't be punished for his years in the KHL, just as Ekblad shouldn't have gotten special recognition for being 18 in his year. The trophy definition is set - The Calder Memorial Trophy is an annual award given "to the player selected as the most proficient in his first year of competition in the National Hockey League (NHL)."

If the NHL wants, they can implement a new Makarov-like rule (Panarin-rule?) to better define the award.

Though I think Ghostbear deserves some recognition, Panarin should win it. Obviously playing with Kane helped his totals, but anyone saying Panarin just fed off of Kane hasn't seen him play enough. He's a stud.
Agreed, Kane had his best season of his career by far, Panarin was a huge reason for it.
T@T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 06:19 AM   #43
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Best rookie season, Panarin hands down because he played and contributed to his team more over the course of the year. No doubt McJesus will be a better player over his career, but this is about the season not potential.
Robbob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 07:31 AM   #44
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think it has to go to McDavid because if you look at the stats, he clearly put up the most points...ok maybe not but he clearly helped his team the most....fine but he most definitely improved his team the most from last year....oh wait, PPG! McDavid had the most PPG even though he only played about half a season and likely wouldn't have kept up the pace and you discount that Pavel Zacha had 2 points in 1 game a s a rookie so technically he leads PPG for rookies...McDavid had the most points by any rookie drafted first overall this past year so he has to win it.
Old 05-03-2016, 07:50 AM   #45
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

So if Gretzky was denied the Calder because he played in the WHA, why does Panarin get a pass? The KHL is a professional hockey league trying to compete with the NHL.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 08:30 AM   #46
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post
So if Gretzky was denied the Calder because he played in the WHA, why does Panarin get a pass? The KHL is a professional hockey league trying to compete with the NHL.
C'mon man. You, of anyone here, should know the history. Gretzky was denied the Calder because the NHL went out of its way to screw over the WHA teams in every way it could. The league at that point made numerous pointed decisions designed to demonstrate that the NHL not only won the battle, but crushed their enemy.

As far as this year's vote goes, McDavid should be third out of those three. But I suspect the Canadian media's hype machine is going to overrate him significantly. If they voted properly, it should be Panarin slightly over Gostisbehere.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 08:50 AM   #47
Stay Golden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hands down it should be Panarnin but the writers have a man crush for McSavior. For me McDavid missed too much of the season jmo.
Old 05-03-2016, 09:07 AM   #48
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Along comes Panarin and Kane has his best year every. Must be a pretty special player if he can help a player of Kane's ilk to put up career numbers in points. Panarin totally deserves it.
Buff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 09:13 AM   #49
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gost-bear
Panarin

McDavid

And this isn't a slight against McDavid, he'll be a good (maybe great) player. But if you remove the hype, and compare the rookie years of those three it isn't even close.
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 09:33 AM   #50
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
C'mon man. You, of anyone here, should know the history. Gretzky was denied the Calder because the NHL went out of its way to screw over the WHA teams in every way it could. The league at that point made numerous pointed decisions designed to demonstrate that the NHL not only won the battle, but crushed their enemy.

As far as this year's vote goes, McDavid should be third out of those three. But I suspect the Canadian media's hype machine is going to overrate him significantly. If they voted properly, it should be Panarin slightly over Gostisbehere.
Yeah, I get that. NHL probably thinks the same about the K, surprised it isn't a rule.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 09:59 AM   #51
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Really don't think the NHL cares about the KHL. It's shown to be a nothing league and not a viable alternative.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 10:01 AM   #52
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Agreed. The KHL has been hyped up as this big, evil monster the NHL eventually has to face down when the reality is something closer to the script for Canadian Bacon.

Honestly, I would bet the NHL views the KHL more like a minor league than a rival.

Also, the NHL dealt with the "played pro elsewhere" concern with the Makarov rule.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 03:57 PM   #53
albertGQ
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hear lots of complaints about rookies playing in the KHL before going to the NHL. But the AHL is also a pro league. Matthews, Laine and Puiji all played pro last year too. Should the Calder be only for CHL and NCAA players?

The rules are fine the way they are for Calder eligibility. If the NHL lowered the age by a couple years, that would be okay too.
albertGQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 04:07 PM   #54
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machiavelli View Post
Why would that be sad? It's not a team award
i'd be sad because, as many have stated, McDavid would be winning the award based on projections that he'll be the best player eventually.

Panarin was the best rookie this year...

if McDavid wins, its because they were willing to overlook his shortened games played, something that they didn't do for Gio, even though by most measures, Gio was the leader for the Norris that the time of his injury... he only played 64 games and wasn't even a finalist for the Norris

no way McDavid should win it in playing in 45 games, if that's the metric

Last edited by oldschoolcalgary; 05-03-2016 at 04:09 PM.
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 04:29 PM   #55
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hoping for McDavid but I'm picking Panarin and I'd vote for him if I had a vote.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 05:05 PM   #56
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's been said before, but McDavid is and will be the best player. Can you say he had the best rookie season with so few games? I suppose you can though I wouldn't as avoiding injury is important too
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 08:05 AM   #57
jlh2640
First Line Centre

Exp:

Eichel should have been there instead of Macdavid. Guy plays half a year, yes he was dominant, but so was Gio last year.
jlh2640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 08:27 AM   #58
burnitdown
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcalgary View Post
if McDavid wins, its because they were willing to overlook his shortened games played, something that they didn't do for Gio, even though by most measures, Gio was the leader for the Norris that the time of his injury... he only played 64 games and wasn't even a finalist for the Norrisc
I think the scenarios are a little different. Gio was in the conversation for the Norris but he certainly wasn't a lock. As for McDavid, he basically won the rookie of the month award every month he played. I still think McDavid falls short but it won't signal Gio got screwed out of the Norris if he wins.
burnitdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 10:27 AM   #59
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

If McDavid wins it at least we will know the calder is a joke trophy. Should go to Panarin or Ghost Bear.
northcrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 10:32 AM   #60
Fire of the Phoenix
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I want McDavid to win. Every award and accolade he receives will only make him more expensive to re-sign. I don't think the Oilers would crack 80 points with McDavid winning the Art Ross so it's all good.
Fire of the Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote