Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2017, 10:45 AM   #1821
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I can't believe there were no posts on the big game yesterday! Spurs looked great and deservedly won the final NLD at White Hart Lane. If it weren't for Petr Cech though and a couple big stops along with a couple misses by Spurs players that game could've gotten out of hand. The gap between 1/2 remains 4 points, but basically all they can do is keep winning and hope that Chelsea drops points somewhere. Chances of that look a little slim, but I guess you never know.
yeah will be tough for Chelsea to drop 4 points and Spurs to get all 12 remaining

Chelsea's remaining schedule is a joke.
Boro
@West Brom
Sunderland
Watford

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2017, 10:46 AM   #1822
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was waiting to see if any of you would post the racial abuse handed out to Robbie at AFTV yesterday.
No. Let's just brush over that.

Bagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 12:03 PM   #1823
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagor View Post
I was waiting to see if any of you would post the racial abuse handed out to Robbie at AFTV yesterday.
No. Let's just brush over that.
Really? That's what you think ought to be focused on?
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 12:12 PM   #1824
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Really? That's what you think ought to be focused on?
Really?
You think racial abuse is a non issue and shouldn't be focused on? Is there a particular reason why you take umbrage with me bringing it up? Please share why.

Or is that reserved just for Chelsea, Millwall, Palace and the likes?

Old 05-01-2017, 12:27 PM   #1825
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I can't believe there were no posts on the big game yesterday! Spurs looked great and deservedly won the final NLD at White Hart Lane. If it weren't for Petr Cech though and a couple big stops along with a couple misses by Spurs players that game could've gotten out of hand. The gap between 1/2 remains 4 points, but basically all they can do is keep winning and hope that Chelsea drops points somewhere. Chances of that look a little slim, but I guess you never know.
I definitely think the whole changing of the guard narrative that was being espoused on MDL was a bit ridiculous. Arsenal still have a very good team. If they can bring in a new manager and have a successful transfer window, there's no reason to doubt that they can be in the thick of things again next year, especially if they don't have to focus on Europa or the CL.

That said, I think this is first NLD I've ever watched where I wasn't totally tense or anxious going into the match. I firmly believed Spurs were going to run away with it. I think they've proven that last year wasn't a fluke or due to other teams having down years, and that we actually have one of the best starting XI in the league, and a decent amount of depth to go with it.

It's a shame we dropped points to teams we shouldn't have dropped points to and it's likely going to cost us the title, but hard to be upset about the trajectory of this team.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2017, 12:56 PM   #1826
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
I think they've proven that last year wasn't a fluke or due to other teams having down years, and that we actually have one of the best starting XI in the league, and a decent amount of depth to go with it.
They've proven nothing yet. I said this last year and I'll say it again. Last year was their best chance in the average person's living memory for them to win a title. I said that it was very unlikely again that anyone of United, Chelsea, City or Arsenal would ALL be as bad again in the same season.

The fact of the matter is that the PL is at its lowest standard it's been at for years relative to the rest of Europe which is reflected by their performances in the CL. When United, Chelsea and Arsenal were winning the league a PL team or two in the CL semis was not an uncommon occurrence.

Spurs have taken advantage of a weak PL and still haven't been able to win it. Are they a good team in a weaker than normal league? Yes? Absolutely. But be assured that the ceiling for teams like United, City and Chelsea is to be the best in Europe. Something Spurs are not even close to reaching yet as evidenced by their whimpering out of the CL and being totally embarassed by the mighty Gent.

Congrats on your NL trophy.

Old 05-01-2017, 01:13 PM   #1827
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Really?
You think racial abuse is a non issue and shouldn't be focused on? Is there a particular reason why you take umbrage with me bringing it up? Please share why.

Or is that reserved just for Chelsea, Millwall, Palace and the likes?

Any racial abuse is deplorable, but really is there video evidence of it? I haven't seen any. I've heard him called "fat" which seems to have been misheard as "black". It's not a White Hart Lane issue either; there are videos of Robbie being accosted by his own supporters from a few weeks ago.

It shouldn't be the focus though. The focus should be on the game and not some ignorant people (of which there are some in any group).

Quote:
I definitely think the whole changing of the guard narrative that was being espoused on MDL was a bit ridiculous. Arsenal still have a very good team. If they can bring in a new manager and have a successful transfer window, there's no reason to doubt that they can be in the thick of things again next year, especially if they don't have to focus on Europa or the CL.

That said, I think this is first NLD I've ever watched where I wasn't totally tense or anxious going into the match. I firmly believed Spurs were going to run away with it. I think they've proven that last year wasn't a fluke or due to other teams having down years, and that we actually have one of the best starting XI in the league, and a decent amount of depth to go with it.

It's a shame we dropped points to teams we shouldn't have dropped points to and it's likely going to cost us the title, but hard to be upset about the trajectory of this team.
I kind of agree, but that was MDL pumping up the game and trying to create something for the neutrals to be interested in. I do think that its at least a renewed rivalry if not a changing of the guard though. At this point I think Spurs are clearly stronger when you look at the squad and really there is one player who could make our starting eleven there and that's Sanchez. It is hard to say because a lot of them look like they've basically quit.
Old 05-01-2017, 01:20 PM   #1828
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Any racial abuse is deplorable, but really is there video evidence of it? I haven't seen any. I've heard him called "fat" which seems to have been misheard as "black". It's not a White Hart Lane issue either; there are videos of Robbie being accosted by his own supporters from a few weeks ago.

It shouldn't be the focus though. The focus should be on the game and not some ignorant people (of which there are some in any group).
BS You are actually trying to minimise racial abuse? Really? It SHOULD be the focus.

And there is video evidence of it and it is clear as day to any non apologist that the word is black and that is just from a small clip.

Are you suggesting he's lying or simply "misheard' things? And yes, there always should be a focus on racism and your excuse that it's not a white hart lane issue is frankly pathetic. Can you provide any link where he says he was racially abused by his own supporters?

If it was him talking about how he was simply being "accousted" I would not be referring to it. I am referring to racial abuse. Why do you think he's lying?

Old 05-01-2017, 01:26 PM   #1829
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
BS You are actually trying to minimise racial abuse? Really? It SHOULD be the focus.

And there is video evidence of it and it is clear as day to any non apologist that the word is black and that is just from a small clip.

Are you suggesting he's lying or simply "misheard' things? And yes, there always should be a focus on racism and your excuse that it's not a white hart lane issue is frankly pathetic. Can you provide any link where he says he was racially abused by his own supporters?
Minimizing it by opening with the sentence that it's deplorable? Ok then.

I'm suggesting he's misheard things, but I definitely haven't heard/seen every single video clip around. And all I'm suggesting about the abuse in general that he's taken is that it's not just opposition teams who don't like them filming there. It's happened at their own ground!

I think that the name calling (whatever angle it takes) is lame, but far from unexpected when you're filming at the rivals ground.

Anyway, I have no desire to get into this. I don't want to minimize it at all, because there is no place for it, but that doesn't mean I want to discuss that instead of the game itself.
Old 05-01-2017, 01:59 PM   #1830
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

No. You minimized it by feigning shock and suggesting to me that it was a matter of non importance and not worth focusing on when I posted it initially. Now you get called on it, you suggest he might have misheard things and that it's not a big deal as lots of people don't like them filming there. You said that it was deplorable then the But word.

You then say again that "it's happened at their own ground!" I ask again to provide evidence or some sort of report of him being racially abused at his own ground.

You then further minimize it by equating racial abuse to name calling and that it is far from unexpected when filming at a rival's grounds. You borderline on excusing it.

And no, it is NOT to be expected. See the youtube again. It was the first time in years he had suffered racial abuse.

Here's what I get from you. A guy complains of racial abuse.
1. Really? What's the big deal?
2. He must have misheard it.
3. He gets abuse from everyone (not racial) even some of his own fans so that makes it ok.
4. It's far from unexpected.
5. I'm going to now conclude that I don't want to discuss it (but that didn't stop you having a pop at me for bringing it up).

Just observations based on your postings. If you don't want to minimize it at all then ... don't minimize it at all when I bring the subject up.

Old 05-01-2017, 02:18 PM   #1831
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
No. You minimized it by feigning shock and suggesting to me that it was a matter of non importance and not worth focusing on when I posted it initially. Now you get called on it, you suggest he might have misheard things and that it's not a big deal as lots of people don't like them filming there. You said that it was deplorable then the But word.

You then say again that "it's happened at their own ground!" I ask again to provide evidence or some sort of report of him being racially abused at his own ground.

You then further minimize it by equating racial abuse to name calling and that it is far from unexpected when filming at a rival's grounds. You borderline on excusing it.

And no, it is NOT to be expected. See the youtube again. It was the first time in years he had suffered racial abuse.

Here's what I get from you. A guy complains of racial abuse.
1. Really? What's the big deal?
2. He must have misheard it.
3. He gets abuse from everyone (not racial) even some of his own fans so that makes it ok.
4. It's far from unexpected.
5. I'm going to now conclude that I don't want to discuss it (but that didn't stop you having a pop at me for bringing it up).

Just observations based on your postings. If you don't want to minimize it at all then ... don't minimize it at all when I bring the subject up.
Sure thing. Well I'm not sure what you're driving at here. My initial sentence on the topic is that it shouldn't be the main focus and its deplorable. I think that's strong enough language. You seem to want to pick apart everything I post on the topic on some lame attempt to construe me as supporting it, which is both asinine and offensive. So, it that is the angle you're taking here, just let me know and I can put you on ignore.

The fact is I said there were probably a few ignorant people there, and Robbie himself said it was the extreme minority. That doesn't excuse it, but let's not paint all of the supporters there as racists because there are a few who said bad things.

Some of my comments were about his complaints of poor security at WHL, and the fact that his own supporters a few weeks back were accosting him at the Emirates. I recognise that wasn't racial, but neither was his whole video.
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2017, 02:23 PM   #1832
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Sure thing. Well I'm not sure what you're driving at here. My initial sentence on the topic is that it shouldn't be the main focus and its deplorable. I think that's strong enough language. You seem to want to pick apart everything I post on the topic on some lame attempt to construe me as supporting it, which is both asinine and offensive. So, it that is the angle you're taking here, just let me know and I can put you on ignore.
You can cry all you want and put me on ignore for all I care. And yes I am picking apart YOUR posts and YOUR behaviour towards racial abuse. So go ahead ... knock yourself out, feign being offended and click ignore all you want.

Can with a screamer.

https://streamable.com/qq3qf

Old 05-01-2017, 02:30 PM   #1833
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You can cry all you want and put me on ignore for all I care. And yes I am picking apart YOUR posts and YOUR behaviour towards racial abuse. So go ahead ... knock yourself out, feign being offended and click ignore all you want.

Can with a screamer.

https://streamable.com/qq3qf
No you're basically being obtuse and pedantic. I can understand why some posters in this thread don't respond to your posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2017, 02:34 PM   #1834
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

You can name call all you want and try your childish but so and so doesn't like you.

I simply posted regarding an incident regarding a fairly high profile individual getting racially abused. You attempted to minimise it. I called you on it. Now you cry. It's ok. Put me on ignore.

Old 05-01-2017, 02:34 PM   #1835
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:

yeah there was a bit of drama when Spurs missed those chances but once they got the first one it was over.

Also the Spurs players look so much bigger. Is Wenger simply buying players too small for the premier league?

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 05:57 PM   #1836
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sidestepping the "Are Tottenham fans racist" discussion, how about this amazing goal by Emre Can to salvage what was an otherwise dreadful game? Big win for Liverpool, especially after Coutinho went down with injury.

Old 05-01-2017, 06:04 PM   #1837
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Sidestepping the "Are Tottenham fans racist" discussion, how about this amazing goal by Emre Can to salvage what was an otherwise dreadful game? Big win for Liverpool, especially after Coutinho went down with injury.

Yes.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 07:25 PM   #1838
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

the video doesn't show it but Robbie has no reason to lie

He even says though he doesn't blame spurs supporters, he says they were calling out the idiots who were trying to act hard on him and helping him walk through

If it happened those responsible need to be found and banned from whl, Wembley, the new stadium etc.
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 03:56 PM   #1839
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

oh wow, hope he's getting the help he needs and gets well soon.

Quote:
England international Aaron Lennon was detained under the Mental Health Act after concerns for his welfare.

The 30-year-old, who has not played for Everton since February 11, was negotiated with by police officers for 20 minutes on Sunday afternoon.

Officers were called to a location in Salford, Greater Manchester, following concerns over his state of mind. Tracksuited Lennon was at the side of a busy thoroughfare close to the M602 motorway and officers believed he was in a precarious situation.

On Tuesday Everton issued a statement which said: ‘Aaron Lennon is currently receiving care and treatment for a stress-related illness. The club is supporting him through this and his family has appealed for privacy at this time.’
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/spo...ealth-act.html
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2017, 12:15 AM   #1840
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://mobile.twitter.com/beINSPORT...87989433466880

Arsene saying he almost got mbappe last summer

He's trolling the wengerout crowd at this point
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to d_phaneuf For This Useful Post: