Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2015, 12:15 AM   #61
Slanter
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serapth View Post
My favourite part is all the new conferences since, Treliving and even Burke keep talking about how Boston held such shrewd negotiations and it being win/win. Thats so much more effective long term than concluding trades with "gotcha sucker!"
Haha. I was thinking the same thing. They sound like a couple of big kids who just fleeced a little kid for all his rookie cards. And now they're telling everyone how smart the little kid was in hopes that he doesn't go crying to his mommy
Slanter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Slanter For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2015, 12:24 AM   #62
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serapth View Post
My favourite part is all the new conferences since, Treliving and even Burke keep talking about how Boston held such shrewd negotiations and it being win/Win. Thats so much more effective long term than concluding trades with "gotcha sucker!"
One of the key things good negotiators spend a lot of time on is contemplating how the other party saves face.

It is convenient, and far easier than many other real life negotiation situations in the NHL, as the GMs are afforded press conferences to sing the praises of the other side.
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2015, 12:46 AM   #63
Hanna Sniper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Much better for future dealings then this type of reply for sure

The Following User Says Thank You to Hanna Sniper For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2015, 06:09 AM   #64
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

In one of the post-draft interviews Tree said that the Anaheim series made him realize that the Flames not only had to get bigger, they also had to get faster. He gets it.
Rick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 11:33 AM   #65
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Best. GM. Ever.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 11:40 AM   #66
hockey.modern
First Line Centre

Exp:

Old 06-30-2015, 11:51 AM   #67
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
Let's just reserve judgement until Dougie gets re-upped.
Like I said guys.

Brad.
Frickin.
Treliving.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 01:26 PM   #68
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Every single move he's made thus far has ranged from good to mind blowingly awesome. His "worst" move, Raymond, only looks bad because the team ended up being so much better than anyone could have anticipated, and his deals since then could end up getting him the GM of the year award next year. What's impressed me the most about him though is sticking true to his word. It would have been so easy this past season to forget about the rebuild and start tooling up for a playoff run, but he sticks with the plan and trades away a top 6 veteran forward at the deadline. That move allowed him to make the steal of the century at the draft and secure the Flames blueline for many years to come

And huge props to Brian Burke as well for having a proper hiring process and finding the RIGHT guy for the job, instead of giving it to someone based on past merit or because they're buddies. This franchise finally seems to be doing things the right way and that started when he came on board
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2015, 01:29 PM   #69
Serapth
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Every single move he's made thus far has ranged from good to mind blowingly awesome. His "worst" move, Raymond, only looks bad because the team ended up being so much better than anyone could have anticipated, and his deals since then could end up getting him the GM of the year award next year. What's impressed me the most about him though is sticking true to his word. It would have been so easy this past season to forget about the rebuild and start tooling up for a playoff run, but he sticks with the plan and trades away a top 6 veteran forward at the deadline. That move allowed him to make the steal of the century at the draft and secure the Flames blueline for many years to come

And huge props to Brian Burke as well for having a proper hiring process and finding the RIGHT guy for the job, instead of giving it to someone based on past merit or because they're buddies. This franchise finally seems to be doing things the right way and that started when he came on board

I REALLY thought whoever came in was going to have Burke's hand up their ass like a puppet. I sorta figured we would be full of ex-Burke players at this point (@#$@# you Kessel!) and I thank dog it doesn't seem to have turned out that way.
Serapth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Serapth For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2015, 02:29 PM   #70
wireframe
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I am seriously thinking of getting a Flames jersey with a Treliving namebar.
wireframe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 02:59 PM   #71
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

GoJetsGo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GoJetsGo For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2015, 03:03 PM   #72
bob-loblaw
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey.modern View Post
Treliving makes general managing as easy as shooting frozen chickens into an empty net.
bob-loblaw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bob-loblaw For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2015, 07:24 PM   #73
jar_e
Franchise Player

Exp:

This organization should be nothing but proud of the management and coaching group they have right now. Unbelievable. And obviously the results on the ice are beginning to show.
jar_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 12:25 AM   #74
dying4acup
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey.modern View Post
For the record, TRELIVING is COOL ENOUGH to ROCK the JERRY CURL!
dying4acup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 03:21 AM   #75
savemedrzaius
Help, save, whatever.

Exp:

What was this guys job before coming GM? I had never heard of him before but every move so far looks great.
savemedrzaius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 04:56 AM   #76
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by savemedrzaius View Post
What was this guys job before coming GM? I had never heard of him before but every move so far looks great.
Not the best summary, but here is a quick overview.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/sports/...069/story.html
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 07:27 AM   #77
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

What I like best about Treliving is that he is a tireless workaholic - he never stops, looking under every rock out there.

And one of the great things about the Flames is that they have the financial strength - and the commitment from ownership - to afford whatever resources it takes to be successful.

If Treliving wants 2 dozen assistants so that he can do more homework and research than everyone else, the Flames will give it to him.

They also have acquired a great team. His assistants and the coaching staff are great. And let's not forget Burke - as a POHO, he is focused, has a plan, and will continually challenge Treliving to be better.

Many commented that they felt bad for the scouting staff, losing those picks after working hard all year and missing their superbowl. Well, let's not forget that with only a couple 3rds and some late rounders in their pocket, they came back from the draft with Andersson, Kylington, and a few intriguing late rounders. They did a great job this weekend as well - despite having been robbed of much of their fun.

Top to bottom, from ownership on down, this organization looks fantastic! (notice how no one talks of meddling ownership when the staff isn't screwing up?)
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 08:16 AM   #78
theoforever
Scoring Winger

Exp:

The reason Treliving looks like a workaholic is because he has no hobbies outside of hockey. With hockey being his number one pastime and work at the same time, he probably doesn't feel like he is ever working

Brad is sort of a one dimensional guy, which is great for us.
theoforever is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to theoforever For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2015, 09:32 AM   #79
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoforever View Post
The reason Treliving looks like a workaholic is because he has no hobbies outside of hockey. With hockey being his number one pastime and work at the same time, he probably doesn't feel like he is ever working

Brad is sort of a one dimensional guy, which is great for us.
Yeah, I read an interview with Treliving that made me laugh. Hobbies: none. Favourite movie: Couldn't think of one - maybe something from the 90s. Favourite book: Doesn't have time to read. The guy lives and breaths hockey 24/7. Just hope he takes care of himself so he doesn't have a heart attack.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2017, 11:20 AM   #80
jg13
Franchise Player

Exp:

Snatching up all your top 4 dmen for picks only.
jg13 is offline   Reply With Quote