Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2009, 03:14 PM   #101
flamestalker
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Jack View Post
Yeah, the fatas were a total sausagefest last year. What's up with that?
Let's have a CP Fata job fair.
flamestalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 03:28 PM   #102
Human Torch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobbles View Post
i became a quasi leader last year
you mean mascot!

that's for dissing little big planet.
Human Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 05:31 PM   #103
koop
First Line Centre

Exp:

Just to be clear, I have no problem with Igitang. I was just trying to figure out what Russic meant when he mentioned people taking things too seriously.
koop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 10:55 PM   #104
lanevosky
Farm Team Player

Exp:

I had great times playing with Igitang and KG as D. (Maybe they are swearing like crazy at the screen because i played bad but just dont have the mic on?) :P
lanevosky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 09:09 AM   #105
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

i know we already talked about this issue, and i am a bit biased, but so far when i am doing the BAP as defenseman, i really notice that you are able to generate a LOT of chances from the point. it seems like the new puck physics allow for a lot more shots that change direction and also a lot more tip in opportunities on rebounds as the puck bounces around.

i know there are about turnovers occurring with teh passes, but hopefully its something we can practice. additionally, i think its good to remember as dmen not to always shoot it. then people will be apprehensive to pass to you as they know you are just going to shoot instead of looking for the open man or making a better play. (though conversely, i think having a 'just shoot it' attitude allows you to get the shots off quicker and that cuts down on the turnovers...)

can this game come out already?!?!?!?!?!?!
This individual is not affluent and more of a member of that shrinking middle class. It is likely the individual does not have a high paying job, is limited on benefits, and has to make due with those benefits provided by employer.
dobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 09:16 AM   #106
Staypuft
Self Imposed Ban

Exp:

I definitely agree with Dobbles.
I think last year the better teams got so good at defending those down-low plays, that if we had been conditioned to go back to the point more, it would have been beneficial.
If nothing else, using the point more will open up other plays as the game wears on. That said, I do think it's even more effective in '10, as the puck physics are way more condusive to pinball shots going in.

But yeah, can we just play the f'n game already?
Staypuft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 10:10 AM   #107
Kipper is King
Pants Tent

Exp:

^^^doing a drop pass off the boards to a Dman often works well to get the puck to the point, I find.
Old 09-03-2009, 06:46 PM   #108
Wolfwood
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I'm excited about the game coming out. No school this year means I should definitely have more time to play it this year than last.

CP Name: Wolfwood
PSN ID: crazyflamesfan
Preferred League: don't know
Preferred Position: D or G
Goaltender Eligible: Sometimes

Wolfwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 09:38 PM   #109
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Dobbles, I was coming in to make a very similar post when I saw yours.

I made a post in this thread earlier, but I scored 5 goals in game once, and 2 of them were tips. I had three go off the post from point shot tips.

There is no question in my mind that, going along with their theme of 'Are You Tough Enough?', that sometimes the most effective play will be a big blast from the point with a tough powerforward or grinder in front creating havoc.

I have even had a couple go in from passes towards the front from the point, as tips. For the wingers, charging down the boards and then cutting in at the blueline for a drop pass one-timer top corner is so nice. It is the new D to D one-timer for me this year I think. Love the drop pass one-timer.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 10:07 AM   #110
Kipper is King
Pants Tent

Exp:

^^^so many deflections and rebounds on shots from the point!
Old 09-05-2009, 01:15 AM   #111
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Like I've been mention, in order for us to be a truly successful team aside from pure skill, we need to strongly utilize team work and move the puck around in the zone. We can't be one dimensional down low or by the half boards completely. Primarily, we should be a team that works down low, but is dynamic to play offense in other ways. If that area is getting contained, we have to ship it off to the point and get the defenders involved in the play. Forcing it into the slot isn't going to get much results when defense are in position, even more so this year, but cycling the puck around and getting it to the point gives us many benefits. We gotta be able to build trust with each other to have the puck as it forces the defenders to play the whole zone rather then stay compact to one area. This will cause them to move around which can help open up the slot, and/or give players more space to utilize. It gives us shots opportunity for screens, deflections, or good rebound shots. When we pulled them off in 09 they were sweet, and this year you guys can see that the developers are working on making you use that part of the game more so. You guys know that I like to be painted in the slot looking to have deflections whether it's off my stick, head, ass, or what have you. Or if I can't get that, I'll tap in the rebound if I can get to it.

But defenders shouldn't just get the puck and shoot. If they could set up a nice one timer opportunity cross ice, move the puck around to open up space, or just simply pass back to the defender, it will make us even more dangerous. Because now defenders can't just look at passing shooting lanes and be over with it. They have to play the defender as a player that can create a good opportunity or get the puck into a spot or a player that will set up a scoring chance. Imagine how nice of a play it would be to fake a slap shot, get the defender down, move around to get more space and slap pass to a wide open forward waiting by the outside post for an easy pot in. I want Dobbles or the Santos Bros to be like Brian Cambell or Jeff Carter. Or KG and Spike to be our Regher. Or if you can't do ethier or, be a responsible Lidstrom.

But hockey is full game of offense and defense. So our defensive structure needs to be good as well. We can't be running around too much in the zone and leaving the middle wide open. We should be playing a fairly collapse style of defense to prevent slot one-timers. But one player should generally attack a puck carrier if they enter a player zone region. Meaning LD should handle lower left area, RD handles lower right area, C cover slot to high slot, LW responsible for left point, and RW handles right point. Trust here would be very crucial between as that each players knows their role and that we don't have to move from our assigned spot to go handle another person responsibility.

Same goes with forechcking and breakout. We don't really have much of a structure with these, lol. I suggest we got with a low 1-2-2 forecheck system. One player nearest to the puck carrier at turnover in the offensive zone should be attacking, while two forwards are near the wings at the point to cover outgoing passes from the zone. And the defenders would be back by red line. Object should be to force puck carrier to keep the puck to get out of the zone rather then pass out quickly. Try to get the puck carrier to get near one of our players so we can have two man pressure at that point.

For breakout, I find we try to force it up to quickly and don't regroup. When this happens we never get a good entrance into the zone because we get hit by the blue line since the players are just wanting us to rush it up and cut us off. We need to have a basketball like structure of letting our defenders or who ever is the puck carrier be a point guard when the opposition is already backed up enough to cover us in the neutral zone. The puck carrier can find a space to pass to a teammate when skating up, or can bring it into zone if they can walk in. If both options are blocked off, then we dump and chase. The forwards should be near blue line at the dump so we can all attack in. The player at the opposing side of the dump should head off to the lower boards on their side so we can try to send it off to them if we can possession at the boards.

Anyway that's my coaches corner proposal of how our system should work for this year.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Joborule For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2009, 08:58 AM   #112
Human Torch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I expect everyone to drop their gloves at least once every 1-3 games.
Human Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 09:17 AM   #113
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

a couple things about what jobo said. i think a 2-1-2 (low)setup might be the best. i know when battling on the boards its often best to have a second person there to help recover the puck. i think with the new board play this will be especially important as the first guy can tie up the puck carrier and then the next guy can get the puck.

conversely, in our own zone, having help on the boards is important. i do agree we need to have zones, but even last year there would be lots of times that i would go into a corner and be facing 2 forwards and have little chance of keeping the puck. so hopefully if mics work better we can be able to communicate when we need help. and i will try to stay on my side on defense. i just like to be aggressive and go after the puck carrier!
This individual is not affluent and more of a member of that shrinking middle class. It is likely the individual does not have a high paying job, is limited on benefits, and has to make due with those benefits provided by employer.
Old 09-05-2009, 11:42 AM   #114
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Agreed, Dobbles.

I think a 2-1-2 allows us to take full advantage of the new game play additions like boardplay, and the tougher passing. it is also more 'player' friendly in that it allows people to play a little more aggressively, and instinctively with their puck pursuit

Instead of Jobo or Chuck waiting patiently on the wing outside the zone, it allows you both to heavily pursue the puck carrier either for a turnover or hopefully lay a big hit.

As far as passing back to the D is concerned, I found, even in the old game, that if there was nothing available at the point that I would just put it back down into the corner. This strategy is proving to be much more effective this year with the accuracy of the passing, and knowing that if a defender gets to it down there, I can reasonably expect one of my forwards to start mucking it up with him, it's not just an instant turnover.

Playing RD when Chuckie was RW was always fun for me because I loved it when he would gain the zone on the rush and move it up the boards back to me for the 'give', and then I would see him streak through the corner towards the net for the 'go'; that is fun hockey for me.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 01:18 PM   #115
Kipper is King
Pants Tent

Exp:

I wonder how well the fake shot could fool manual goalies? (assuming it is not used excessively)
Old 09-05-2009, 04:57 PM   #116
flamestalker
Scoring Winger

Exp:

"Imagine how nice of a play it would be to fake a slap shot, get the defender down, move around to get more space and slap pass to a wide open forward waiting by the outside post for an easy pot in."

Yes! That is such a sick way to score..
flamestalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 10:21 PM   #117
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

ok, so totally bad news... found out my sister is having her baby on tuesday!

so, on the upside, it gives me an excuse to take a personal day from work. the down side i have to spend a good chunk of it out of town... i will try and get the game early so i can get a few hours in before we head out, but i will most likely be out of commission opening night. boo-urns!
Old 09-09-2009, 10:24 PM   #118
Wood
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobbles View Post
ok, so totally bad news... found out my sister is having her baby on tuesday!

so, on the upside, it gives me an excuse to take a personal day from work. the down side i have to spend a good chunk of it out of town... i will try and get the game early so i can get a few hours in before we head out, but i will most likely be out of commission opening night. boo-urns!
Cut him!
Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wood For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2009, 12:29 PM   #119
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

http://www.easportsworld.com/en_US/c...001/9/overview

Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Joborule For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2009, 12:51 PM   #120
Human Torch