Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-12-2013, 06:23 AM   #1
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:
Default Hannibal (on NBC) Thread

I just watched the pilot and will watch the 2nd episode tonight, but this show is pretty good. The cast is excellent and so far the story has been interesting.

I'm only an episode in, but I hope this show can keep up the high standards and ratings.
3 Justin 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:18 AM   #2
Muffins
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I've really enjoyed it so far and I was actually surprised how gruesome some parts have been considering it's on network tv.

While nobody can really replace Hopkins as Dr. Lecter, Mads Mikkelsen seems to do a good job with the character.
Old 04-12-2013, 07:37 PM   #3
Bork
Farm Team Player

Exp:

I've watched both episodes and I like it quite a bit so far. I don't want to spoil anything but the way people are killed in the second episode is definitely original.
Bork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 06:30 PM   #4
Iceman57
Scoring Winger

Exp:

This is my new favorite show, the direction has been amazing, the shows cinematography is majestic and the writing is absolutely superb. First two episodes have been movie-esque so i am very much looking forward to this show every week.

Also still very much enjoying The Americans on FX, if you haven't been watching you've been missing out.
Iceman57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 06:33 PM   #5
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bork View Post
I've watched both episodes and I like it quite a bit so far. I don't want to spoil anything but the way people are killed in the second episode is definitely original.
Oh god, that was messed up! Even though, technically they're weren't so much killed, as used till they died.

I'm enjoying the show, I could see problems down the road though, with the fact that the ultimate criminal is working so close with the police. They might have to start resorting to some really unbelievable things to keep him from getting caught or noticed kinda like what is going on in The Following right now.
Daradon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:13 PM   #6
Ark2
Franchise Player

Exp:

Really disappointed with this show. Thomas Harris is one of my favourite writers and I love the Hannibal franchise, which is why it really sucks to see where this thing is going. Prolific serial killers are on the lose, and their manhunts are completely encapsulated within a tidy 43 minutes. Yuck. Would have loved for some realism. Show how the FBI tracks down a serial killer, the interaction with local police, the media frenzy, public histeria, etc. You simply can't do that in a single self-contained episode. And giving Will Graham nearly super-human abilities is sad. Silly effectives to hide how poor the writing is. Visually the show is great, and the acting amongst the two leads is top notch. Aside from that, huge let-down. Typical network crime drama garbage. Oh well.
Ark2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:29 PM   #7
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

^^^ It is very different from the books, you are right, to enjoy it you'd probably have to look at them as separate. I loved the first three books, and as good as the movies were, they, like most books, read a lot better than the movies played.

Though, how Thomas Harris sold out with the last book to video, Hannibal Rising, I lost a little respect. So I don't really have a problem with them making this series more commercial.

I do agree, that the whole new serial killer every episode could really kill it though. Like I said, it starts to get into that realm of unbelievablity where you just stop caring.

But I did like the first two episodes. We'll see if they can keep it going without killing it, which I am worried about.
Daradon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 03:59 AM   #8
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ark2 View Post
Really disappointed with this show. Thomas Harris is one of my favourite writers and I love the Hannibal franchise, which is why it really sucks to see where this thing is going. Prolific serial killers are on the lose, and their manhunts are completely encapsulated within a tidy 43 minutes. Yuck. Would have loved for some realism. Show how the FBI tracks down a serial killer, the interaction with local police, the media frenzy, public histeria, etc. You simply can't do that in a single self-contained episode. And giving Will Graham nearly super-human abilities is sad. Silly effectives to hide how poor the writing is. Visually the show is great, and the acting amongst the two leads is top notch. Aside from that, huge let-down. Typical network crime drama garbage. Oh well.
I'm sorry, but this show does not have poor writing. This is one of the best written network shows on right now and it has been 2 episodes. The dialogue in this show is better than some cable shows. Having a different killer for the first two episodes doesn't equate to bad writing.

I highly doubt they use a new serial killer with every episode, they need people to get hooked so they will have a new one every week for the start like most shows do.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:31 AM   #9
JerzeeGirl
First Line Centre

Exp:

I've really enjoyed the first 2 episodes so far - this show is actually living up to some of the overwhelming hype it was receiving prior to its debut unlike so many shows with equivalent hype that are cancelled almost immediately (like that Jekyll & Hyde show last year).

Mads Mikkelson seems to be making Lecter his own and not trying too hard to be like Hopkins' version of the character. He's downright creepy and I look forward to seeing what happens when Will eventually starts to figure out who the "copycat" is.

This seems like the closest network TV can get to a series like we see on AMC (The Walking Dead, Mad Men, Breaking Bad) or HBO (Game Of Thrones, True Blood, Boardwalk Empire).
JerzeeGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:38 AM   #10
AR_Six
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The leads are good but I generally agree with criticism of the "monster of the week" plotting - this is something that should have gone away in the 90's. I'm prepared to give the show a chance because honestly, it's not unreasonable for them to take this sort of tack for the first few episodes to give them some hook (and keep people watching) while they establish the characters and their relationships. Hopefully they get a little more serialized in a few weeks.
AR_Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:51 AM   #11
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wouldn't it make more sense to have one case, one killer, one investigation plotted along one entire season?

Monster of the week episodes should have died with the X-Files. With DVD/Blu-ray releases and Netflix, can we all agree that need to make your show syndication friendly is dead?
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yeah_Baby For This Useful Post:
V
Old 04-16-2013, 11:38 AM   #12
JerzeeGirl
First Line Centre

Exp:

Was anyone else surprised to see Scott Thompson as one of the Medical Examiners?
Everytime he was on screen I kept waiting to see Buddy Cole pop up. LOL
JerzeeGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 02:04 PM   #13
VANFLAMESFAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

Still not sold on the show. I don't find the Will Graham character to be all that interesting. The superhuman qualities he seems to have are ridiculous and I don't really believe the actor who plays him. Seems like a lot of over-acting to me.

I like Mads Mikkelsen, but I keep on seeing/hearing Le Chiffre whenever I hear him talk. So it's hard for me to buy into him as Hannibal. But the Will Graham character is my main issue with the show and ultimately may be the reason I stop watching.

I do like the way it's shot and I do like some of the editing, but that only goes so far. I also don't like the one-off episodes where not a whole lot carries over. That's why I tend to stay away from network shows.

I'll give it a couple more episodes, but I'm not overly impressed so far.
VANFLAMESFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 03:36 PM   #14
Iceman57
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah_Baby View Post
Wouldn't it make more sense to have one case, one killer, one investigation plotted along one entire season?

Monster of the week episodes should have died with the X-Files. With DVD/Blu-ray releases and Netflix, can we all agree that need to make your show syndication friendly is dead?

I completely agree with you that the show would absolutely be better if they didn't solve each case at the end of each episode but on Network TV that is just not a realistic expectation. Network shows by mandate must be able to attract new viewers each week and if I'm not mistaken, not since Lost has a show been successful in adverting the "new story" plot each week.

How good would this show be if it was on a cable station, no commercials, cursing, nudity and even more gore could be shown, if on cable i believe Hannibal could even be better then Dexter. As it stands right now and for what it is, i think it is very entertaining and worth giving your time to watch each week.
Iceman57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:45 AM   #15
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

This last episode was insane. Hannibal sure is one sick puppy and I love it.
Old 04-25-2013, 10:55 PM   #16
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Also, an episode was pulled so nothing new tonight. New episode next year.

Apparently episode 4 was pulled after the Boston Marathon events. The show's creator said it was too graphic because of what has happened in the US over the past couple months (mentioned Boston and the elementary school shooting).
Old 04-26-2013, 12:01 AM   #17
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

I know the pulled episode is available online for Americans, but I can't seem to find a way to get it legally in Canada... WTF?
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 12:18 AM   #18
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
I know the pulled episode is available online for Americans, but I can't seem to find a way to get it legally in Canada... WTF?
I had use the illegal methods, even then it was still hard to find.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:58 AM   #19
Ark2
Franchise Player

Exp:

So is it still a new serial killer every week? Haven't been watching since episode 2.
Ark2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 11:14 AM   #20
Muffins
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Episode 3 was all about the daughter of the killer from the first, so no, not exactly the cookie cutter new killer every week formula.