Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-30-2015, 09:45 PM   #1
Poison
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default LF: Advice on getting in the door to be an electrical apprentice

Reaching out to the fine folks here in cp land for advice on finding companies hiring 1st year elec apprentices.
Background story is i worked for Telus for 13 years at first in sales and then did 3+ years as an installer so have knowledge in low voltage work.
Want now to move into the electrical field but am finding that any companies hiring are looking for people already with 2 or 3 years under their belt.
Applied for 3 consecutive semesters for the preemployment electrician course at sait but have had zero luck landing a seat. (I have all the credentials)
It wasnt a matter of applying too late either, id literally apply for the next semester the moment i found out it was full for the current semester. A VERY popular course.
Anyway thought id throw out my story here in hopes the fine cp folks would know of companies looking for 1st years or any suggestions on where or what i should focus my attention on.
I humbly thank all in advance.
Poison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 09:14 AM   #2
2ArmBands
Scoring Winger

Exp:

My advice to you would be to do a little research on which major construction projects are about to get underway in the city. It's a bit more difficult to get into Industrial (oil and gas) without being indentured.

Commercial, especially major projects is a great way to get started. A lot of guys get into the trade via the residential route but the pay and benefits are likely not quite as good vs the industrial/commercial sectors. However, it can be a nice tool to have down the road for side jobs etc. Don't hesitate to knock on some doors at job trailers. Face to face is always the best if you can get it.

Western Electric, Custom Electric, Trotter and Morton are some big commercial outfits. Pyramid, Tarpon, URS-Aecom are some major industrial outfits to look out for. Obviously, things are slow right now but there are still plenty of jobs out there.

You're picking the best trade as far as I'm concerned. It never gets old, there is always something new to learn. It really is what you make of it.

PM me if you have any more questions.
2ArmBands is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 2ArmBands For This Useful Post: