Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-28-2013, 07:47 AM   #21
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Verns pizza, a small chain, from Saskachewan. They have four or five locations if one is close to they are the best
Used to love Verns until a buddy and I got food poisoning from there a few years ago. Haven't been back since.

Not a huge pizza guy, but when I do order it it's usually from BPs, Panago, or CPU.
Old 04-28-2013, 07:53 AM   #22
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole436 View Post
Yuck. Verns is awful. There's something so off about the ratios of crust to toppings, and it can seem undercooked sometimes.

It's very filling, but not worth it.
I assume you are talking about the original pizzas which I agree to some extent. They were my ultimate drunk pizza through university. There light pizzas though are the perfect mix that out side of Nicks by the saddledome and Venice House in Saskatchewan cant be beat.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:30 AM   #23
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunkstyle View Post
Used to love Verns until a buddy and I got food poisoning from there a few years ago. Haven't been back since.

Not a huge pizza guy, but when I do order it it's usually from BPs, Panago, or CPU.
I hate when a bout of food poisoning ruins the place forever. I actually understand mistakes happen and I'm pretty forgiving overall... but a touch of the runs over the Holidays made me never step food in Loungeburger ever again.
Old 04-28-2013, 12:30 PM   #24
Stranger
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Boston Pizza is good fresh and I'll order it when I eat there. It is terrible to eat as left overs. It's also pretty pricey.
Old 04-28-2013, 12:37 PM   #25
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

Maybe it is a store thing, but the Dominos by me is great. Usually at my door in 20 mins and the thin crust Canadian or regular Hawaiian is tasty.

Usually give my business to 4th Street Pizza which is one of my favorites (try the Broadway, extra sauce, well done)

Matadors is awesome, make sure to get the house dressing dill on the side for the crust.

Pizza Hut is terrible, which sucks, because it used to be my favorite. Pizza 73 is bad, and Papa Johns can not get an order right to save its life. BP's was over a hundred bucks when we ordered 4 larges...brutal

Finally, Guiseppes (spelling?) and Fameso for thin crust are great.
Old 04-28-2013, 12:46 PM   #26
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dominos always gives me terrible heart burn.

The worst pizza I ever had was from some random place in Vancouver. I can't remember the name, but it sounded Indian. I ordered a chicken curry pizza and it came complete with chicken bones and cartilage melted into the cheese. It made me sick.
Old 04-28-2013, 12:51 PM   #27
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pizza Bank in Glenmore Landing used to be quite good. Haven't ordered there in a while though, so can't vouch one way or another.
Olive Grove restaurant in Midnapore makes pizza for pickup and delivery. Italian family-owned. Very good pizza.
Old 04-28-2013, 12:54 PM   #28
TurnedTheCorner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

You're doing it wrong CaptainYooh.
Old 04-28-2013, 01:19 PM   #29
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Maybe it's just because I like crappy food when I was a kid, but all pizza seems to have gone down hill these days.

I remember having spicier/fresher tasting tomato sauce, better proportions of cheese, and higher quality toppings.

It seems as though pizza these days is just a dough topped with a minimal amount of cheese, sauce, and toppings. I remember getting pizza that actually had a full layer of cheese on it that entirely covered the pizza.

Order Pizza Hut last night to watch the final regular season games with friends. It was awful. You could see half the dough, as there was hardly any cheese. There was minimal sauce. Our hawaiin pizza had on average 2 pineapple pieces per slice. They tried to make up for the lack of toppings by covering the pizza in oil. These pizzas weren't cheap either. You pay almost $25/pizza once you factor in delivery charges and tax.

Last edited by blankall; 04-28-2013 at 01:21 PM.
Old 04-28-2013, 02:19 PM   #30
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

Whenever I'm in Calgary, I tend to have Chicago Deep Dish. I love their pizzas, much better than the crap in the UK.

A CDD also tastes great cold the next day at the ski hill.

In the UK, the best of the chains is Papa Johns - Dominos takes pizza blandness to stratospheric heights and then climbs up a level.
Old 04-28-2013, 03:03 PM   #31
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I work at an independent pizza store so I am biased, but Tom's House of Pizza is the best chain in Calgary. Panago isn't too bad, Dominos, Pizza 73, Pizza Hut, Little Caesars (lololol) are all terribad though.
Old 04-28-2013, 03:12 PM   #32
smoothpops
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Nick's on crowchild, across from the stadium. Not sure if it's a chain/independent. Sooo good, but fricken expensive. i think it was $35 for a large. but we were blown away. Stavroz is pretty good too, cheaper, but nick's blow em out of the water.
Old 04-28-2013, 04:39 PM   #33
Mccree
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Western pizza is tasty. http://www.westernpizzaexpress.ca/

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mccree For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2013, 05:05 PM   #34
Hatter
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

IMO Panago is by far the best of the mainstream pizza places.
Old 04-28-2013, 05:05 PM   #35
Deegee
First Line Centre

Exp:

Had Howard's Pizza while in Great Falls, MT and it was the worst thing I have ever seen. Delivery took 1.5 hours and the crust was paper thin to the point where there was nothing to the pizza. Barely any sauce on the sucker, too.

http://www.howardspizzamt.com/

Had Pizza Hut while in the states, too, and it was a lot worse then I remember it. Don't know what specifically was wrong about it, but it tasted "funny".
Old 04-28-2013, 07:37 PM   #36
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Maybe it's just because I like crappy food when I was a kid, but all pizza seems to have gone down hill these days.

I remember having spicier/fresher tasting tomato sauce, better proportions of cheese, and higher quality toppings.

It seems as though pizza these days is just a dough topped with a minimal amount of cheese, sauce, and toppings. I remember getting pizza that actually had a full layer of cheese on it that entirely covered the pizza.

Order Pizza Hut last night to watch the final regular season games with friends. It was awful. You could see half the dough, as there was hardly any cheese. There was minimal sauce. Our hawaiin pizza had on average 2 pineapple pieces per slice. They tried to make up for the lack of toppings by covering the pizza in oil. These pizzas weren't cheap either. You pay almost $25/pizza once you factor in delivery charges and tax.
I think that's a canadian thing. If you check out flyers for the US pizza chains, pizza seems to be dirt cheap down there. For example, Pizza Hut in the US always has that "Any pizza for $10" deal. They had it for like 2 years.

Meanwhile in Canada, I order a large peperoni lovers with extra cheese............."and your total is $23.85". That's for pick up, btw. Just ridiculous.
Old 04-28-2013, 07:43 PM   #37
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

I sometimes order Dominos on campus as they give a 50% discount and deliver it to wherever you are on campus.
Old 04-28-2013, 07:55 PM   #38
CaramonLS
Retired

Exp:

BPs is the best chain pizza IMHO, but prepare to pay $10 more than anywhere else.

If you don't want to break the bank, order the panormous from Pizza Hut, it is only $16 for 2 toppings. Not bad. Also, if you want to get a couple dollars off a stuffed crust pizza, select the pizza hut triple crown deal (when ordering online), take off the toppings you want, and select stuffed crust. It comes out like $3 cheaper than ordering a regular stuffed crust pepperoni pizza online.

Has anyone had Papa Murphy's take and bake? I know they have a bunch of locations in Edmonton and I think they are getting some in Calgary soon.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:07 PM   #39
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Huh.. The last time I got Dominos it wasn't all that bad IMO. Better than I had ever remembered.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:08 PM   #40
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Olive grove pizza is very good, but it is expensive.

Tags
chains , dominos , eww gross , pizza