Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 06-22-2016, 07:40 AM   #3421
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

I was on the 12th Ave track on Monday and the guy behind me asked what I was waiting for. I pointed at the Red bike signal. "I didn't even know those were there..."
Old 06-22-2016, 07:41 AM   #3422
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yikes.
Old 06-22-2016, 07:42 AM   #3423
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I used to cross intersections on reds all the time, I no longer do that as I just figure it annoys the motorists who are watching me and will eventually pass me.

now, there are a couple of intersections where I slide onto a relatively unused sidewalk (center st/Fairmont drive underneath glenmore for example), and side step traffic lights.
Old 06-22-2016, 08:28 AM   #3424
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

My pal Dallas' take on his crazy 700km race a couple of days ago:

700km off road ride - Timeline of events
- 7:00am - Official event start - GPS on. Pumped, nervous, prepared.
- 7:05 - Dallas leads out the group (maybe 40 riders?)
- 7:10 - Keith Bayly attacks
- 7:15 - Ryan Correy counters
- 7:20 - Dallas follows two guys for 50km
- 9:30 - Dallas passes Ryan, then Keith
- Raining most of the time off and on, but no road dust
- 12: ish - Dallas breaks front shifter - can no longer switch from Big to little ring. Have to use barrel adjuster and manual cable pulling for rest of event to switch front derailleur.
- 1pm - thunder and lightning - praise Odin
- 2:23 - Arrive in Nordegg @ Km 176 - realize GPS is not turned on. Ryan Correy skips 6km detour to Nordegg feed zone and continues on route, passes Dallas. Also there's a power outage in Nordegg so I had to eat Mr. Noodles with cold water. Saw two long time best buddies in Nordegg.
- 2:40 - out to course, see Keith riding into Nordegg, looking strong
- 3:00pm - pass Ryan Correy having a break
- 11:20 ish Cateye headlight blows the bulb - down to backup light for the rest of ride (yes I have a backup headlight) (was not using my Radical-lights as there's only 3 hours of darkness this time of year)
- 12;00 midnight, get a flat tire. Getting tired, dog##### the tire change.. look behind me and see a cycle headlight, don't know who it is.
- 12:01 - drop the hammer
-2am ish - two huge owls fly and scare me from road side sitting on fence post - thought they were pterodactyls or something
- 4:am ish @435km - riding through Morley Rez - get chased by rez dogs on cue - I take the sprint.
- 4:30am - +3 temps and major headwind into Canmore as sun rises - thinking about A&W Ham n Eggers
- 6am - get to Canmore - A&W not open, this is bull####, cry a little bit. Go to Macs - spend $27 at Macs. Check messages and Tracker page.
- 7am (24 hours ride time) push my bike up the Spray Lakes hill, just cant ride anymore with sore knees, tired, broken shifter issues, push, push, push
- 8ish- see Eric Harvie and friend up ahead, they keep jammign it so I cant close in. Ok then. See bueaty nice black bear eating grass, we have a smile and a wave.
- 8:30 - feeling tired. Sit in a slump on side of Spray road for 10 minutes, feels good. body relaxes a bit.
- 11am - get to Hwy 40 towards Highwood Pass - struggle to ride. my smallest gear is a 34 - 25, and its hard to push. So I walk alot, alot, fall down in grass, sleep 10 minutes, walk some more. Look back and see two cyclists coming up the road, "it's Ryan and Keith?".. drop the hammer over the Summit. - it was actually Eric Harvie and his friend, I think.
- 2pm - get to Highwood House - it's closed, fill two water bottles in the Highwood. Start gravel grinding again, sun is out, it's really hot. I've been awake for 33 hours.
- 4pm. hating life. this road sucks. gravel on gravel on gravel. dip my head in some creeks. forge on.
- reach summit of whatever this place, very beautiful scenery - Livingstone River, Oldman River, creeks upon creeks... gravel.
- lots of walking - have not realized GPS went out again. thinking about food, saw an elephant in the bushes and it really scared me.
- 6pm - More gravel - 35km to go. lots of walking. lots of gravel.
- 9pm ish - roll into Rum Runners and Coleman - 39 hours travel time. Buddy Gord Mounce is there to greet me. Buys me a beer. Life is grand. Commence ordering deep fried pickles, wings and large pizza. Awake for 41 hours.
- 1st Place.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to habernac For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2016, 08:37 AM   #3425
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

Major respect for those guys. Don't think that's anything I ever want to attempt. I did the 24 hours of adrenaline once, i'd much rather take my time and go at my own pace. Amazing he can finish and place 1st without a working front shifter.
Old 06-22-2016, 08:40 AM   #3426
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow. Deadly.
Old 06-22-2016, 08:44 AM   #3427
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Worth, he's not human. He starts out slow, gets warmed up and then buries everyone. I know a few ultra distance guys, wish I could be more like them. Have to be more disciplined. I think when I finally get my knee fixed up I can take a shot at some of these longer rides.
Old 06-22-2016, 08:49 AM   #3428
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

I'm worrying about the Badlands Granfondo this weekend and it's only 160km. I couldn't fathom 700km.
Old 06-22-2016, 08:57 AM   #3429
cracher
Scoring Winger

Exp:

WHat a beast. The fact that he can "drop the hammer" 400km into it blows my mind. Does he have to watch his %body fat to make sure it doesn't get too low?
Old 06-22-2016, 09:00 AM   #3430
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

The nutty part is that he isn't a stick, he has to work to stay skinny.
Old 06-22-2016, 09:10 AM   #3431
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

some great humour in there - guy is a beast. huge respect for being able to ride that long.

700 km/41 hrs = avg speed of 17 kph - very impressive given his mechanical issues
Old 06-22-2016, 09:29 AM   #3432
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
I'm worrying about the Badlands Granfondo this weekend and it's only 160km. I couldn't fathom 700km.
I'm interested in this gran fondo stuff - is it a race with official times or more of an organized ride?
Old 06-22-2016, 09:36 AM   #3433
93Hound
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Huge respect to the 400 km ride.
I am doing the ride to conquer cancer in August. 225 kms in 2 days. First time last year and loved every minute of it....especially for the cause. Any tips are appreciated as I am an inexperienced rider.
Old 06-22-2016, 09:40 AM   #3434
AcGold
Self-Suspension

Exp:

I got a really good pannier and rack, stiffened up the suspension and cleaned everything to a shine. It's like riding around in a Bentley now.

So smooth and solid with luxury. Ride a few minutes, stop take a sip of coffee check the news on my phone. I love it, so much fun touring around Calgary. Went from Dalhousie to South centre yesterday, too bad my dad bailed when he hit a 2 inch crack in the sidewalk. Mostly hurt his pride though.

Last edited by AcGold; 06-22-2016 at 09:44 AM.
Old 06-22-2016, 10:04 AM   #3435
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93Hound View Post
Huge respect to the 400 km ride.
I am doing the ride to conquer cancer in August. 225 kms in 2 days. First time last year and loved every minute of it....especially for the cause. Any tips are appreciated as I am an inexperienced rider.
Well if you did it last year ,you know what you are into! I've done it the past 5 years, but can't make it this year. Best tip? Have fun! If you are riding solo I always have fun chatting to other solo riders going my pace. I usually lose them at the pit stop, but it gives you a chance to meet someone else on the road.

I've done the ride as fast as I could(I think 27km/h) and at my wife's pace which was about 19km/h. As far as suffering goes, the slow pace was worse.

Hope the weather is good for you. That is the deciding factor if it will be a good time or not.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2016, 11:57 AM   #3436
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

If any of you get this:

Old 06-24-2016, 10:41 AM   #3437
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

So awesome to have a bike commute that is 30 minutes long instead of 60.
The Following User Says Thank You to habernac For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2016, 11:04 AM   #3438
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Lovely morning today - great ride in. Took it easy this AM - no segment chasing

https://www.strava.com/activities/619351362
Old 06-24-2016, 12:58 PM   #3439
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I agree that it was a lovely morning. not sure what to expect on the ride home this afternoon though.

the wife and I were planning on riding the high rockies trail tomorrow morning; however, if it is raining, then I guess we are sleeping in - I am getting very anxious to get the new bike out for a ride
Old 06-24-2016, 04:59 PM   #3440
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Legs trashed today. Forgot how much fun the Ctr Street hill was to go up. Mother nature decided that wasn't difficult enough, she threw in some rain and hail, too.
Closed Thread