Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-2024, 09:10 PM   #121
butterfly
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
By making the conference finals.

The four teams in the conference finals draft 29th to 32nd.

Each division winner (regular season) that did not make the conference finals drafts one position before that. So if one division winner misses the conference finals, that team drafts 28th. If all four division winners fail to make the conference finals (which has occasionally happened), they draft 25th through 28th, in reverse order of standings.

Take the standings as they are at present, and project them to the end of the season. The only team ahead of Vancouver in winning percentage is the Rangers.

• If the Canucks and Rangers both make the third round, they will draft somewhere from 29th to 32nd.
• If the Canucks and Rangers both fail to make the third round, the Canucks will draft 27th and the Rangers 28th.
• If the Rangers make the third round and the Canucks don't, the Rangers will draft somewhere from 30th to 32nd, and the Canucks 28th.

It's a needlessly complicated system, but there you are.
To hope they move from exactly 28th to exactly 29th, which is the only net gain in draft value per the chart, I believe occurs if and only if:
  • Vancouver is the worst division winner.
  • The other 3 division winners are already in the conference finals.
  • Vancouver joins them in the Final Four and does not make the Stanley Cup Finals.

Seems highly unlikely, but I now agree that it is possible. Correct me if I'm wrong.
butterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 09:16 PM   #122
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly View Post
To hope they move from exactly 28th to exactly 29th, which is the only net gain in draft value per the chart, I believe occurs if and only if:
  • Vancouver is the worst division winner.
  • The other 3 division winners are already in the conference finals.
  • Vancouver joins them in the Final Four and does not make the Stanley Cup Finals.
If the other three division winners make the conference finals, and Vancouver doesn't, it does not matter what order they finished in. Vancouver will still draft 28th.

For Vancouver to draft 29th, it would have to lose the Western Conference finals, and finish the regular season behind the loser of the Eastern Conference finals.

It's still pretty unlikely, but there are several avenues. Basically, the Canucks are unlikely to draft earlier than 28th unless they fail to win the division.

In practical terms, this draft looks pretty wide open after about the 20th pick, so the difference from 28 to about 30 might not even change the Flames' pick. It's quite likely that the player they think is BPA at 28 is still available at 30. If that is the case, it's definitely beneficial to get the 3rd rather than the 4th.

That, at any rate, is how I'm looking at it.
Old 03-27-2024, 09:38 PM   #123
butterfly
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
If the other three division winners make the conference finals, and Vancouver doesn't, it does not matter what order they finished in. Vancouver will still draft 28th.

For Vancouver to draft 29th, it would have to lose the Western Conference finals, and finish the regular season behind the loser of the Eastern Conference finals.

It's still pretty unlikely, but there are several avenues. Basically, the Canucks are unlikely to draft earlier than 28th unless they fail to win the division.

In practical terms, this draft looks pretty wide open after about the 20th pick, so the difference from 28 to about 30 might not even change the Flames' pick. It's quite likely that the player they think is BPA at 28 is still available at 30. If that is the case, it's definitely beneficial to get the 3rd rather than the 4th.

That, at any rate, is how I'm looking at it.
I know very little about the draft so I'll take your word for it.

I'll cheer for Vancouver to lose as soon as possible, then Conroy can trade the 28th OA + 4th to some team for the 29th OA + 3rd and we'll both be happy.
butterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 10:35 PM   #124
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly View Post
I know very little about the draft so I'll take your word for it.

I'll cheer for Vancouver to lose as soon as possible, then Conroy can trade the 28th OA + 4th to some team for the 29th OA + 3rd and we'll both be happy.
I'll buy that.
Old 04-01-2024, 06:55 AM   #125
Tsawwassen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Post game links
https://fieldlevelmedia.com/news/jas...s-past-flames/
https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/games/41973203/
https://www.foxsports.com/nhl/calgar...boxscore-41151
https://www.espn.com/nhl/game/_/game...mes-blackhawks