Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2024, 11:57 AM   #361
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

I found Melatonin to be really hard to dose. The dose I needed didn't seem consistent either. If too much was taken, I felt drowsy all day.

I've had some awful sleep patterns lately. The issue isn't getting to sleep but remaining asleep. I often wake up between 2-5 AM and can't get back to sleep for 2-4 hours after. I feel like my body is purposely screwing me over. Some nights I'll wake up at 3:00 AM and then get back sleep at 6:30 AM, but my alarm goes off 20 minutes later.

And yes, I'd say it's almost 100% anxiety related. My mind will often turn minor things into major issues.

It's not every night, but probably average 2-3 nights per week with the bad sleep.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2024, 12:09 PM   #362
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
I found Melatonin to be really hard to dose. The dose I needed didn't seem consistent either. If too much was taken, I felt drowsy all day.

I've had some awful sleep patterns lately. The issue isn't getting to sleep but remaining asleep. I often wake up between 2-5 AM and can't get back to sleep for 2-4 hours after. I feel like my body is purposely screwing me over. Some nights I'll wake up at 3:00 AM and then get back sleep at 6:30 AM, but my alarm goes off 20 minutes later.

And yes, I'd say it's almost 100% anxiety related. My mind will often turn minor things into major issues.

It's not every night, but probably average 2-3 nights per week with the bad sleep.
Anxiety doesn't cause Insomnia. I may have already made that joke, but I'm in a haven't slept in a week hell vortex. Nothing makes you sleep better than seeing 6 am on your phone.

Melatonin doesn't seem to do anything. I could huff that stuff and no change at all. Spray, pills however,
fotze2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2024, 12:36 PM   #363
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by D as in David View Post
Nope. See above. Also, I see a lot of research recommending against supplementing with Melatonin.

What type of magnesium is it?
https://vitasave.ca/products/canprev...iABEgIWz_D_BwE

Took this. Had a tester pack with vitamin C I took as well.
Paulie Walnuts is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Paulie Walnuts For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2024, 12:39 PM   #364
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze2 View Post
Anxiety doesn't cause Insomnia. I may have already made that joke, but I'm in a haven't slept in a week hell vortex. Nothing makes you sleep better than seeing 6 am on your phone.

Melatonin doesn't seem to do anything. I could huff that stuff and no change at all. Spray, pills however,

Did we just lose Fotze2 to sleep? Kind of an abrupt end.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2024, 12:40 PM   #365
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

For folks trying melatonin, I would try it in liquid form. The body absorbs it more easily.
Take it 30-60 minutes before bed, and makes sure when you do, you turn off all lights and get off your screens. You can also try blue light blocking glasses - those were a game changers for me. Melatonin can be effective but it has to be used correctly.

On the drug side, I took zoplicone for a few years, and found it left me often with a big head ache the next take. A few years ago I shifted to Zolpidem which can be more effective for insomnia that is sleep onset (less effective for insomnia where you are waking up and not abel to get back to sleep). It also gets out of your system faster. Most doctors prescribe Zoplicone but Zolpidem is way better for me.

TLDR: "Ask your doctor about Zolpidem".
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2024, 01:45 PM   #366
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

My issue is also remaining asleep. I find it is a bit of a cat-and-mouse game getting back to sleep. When my mind starts taking over and for too long, I often will do something physical, like a Tabata. While it may seem counter-intuitive to do something that ups your heart rate, I find getting in touch with my body helps lessen the over-thinking somewhat.

I also search out podcasts that are somewhat but not too interesting to me as they can help me stop mulling over my anxious thoughts.
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to D as in David For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2024, 02:05 PM   #367
flamesfever
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
For folks trying melatonin, I would try it in liquid form. The body absorbs it more easily.
Take it 30-60 minutes before bed, and makes sure when you do, you turn off all lights and get off your screens. You can also try blue light blocking glasses - those were a game changers for me. Melatonin can be effective but it has to be used correctly.

On the drug side, I took zoplicone for a few years, and found it left me often with a big head ache the next take. A few years ago I shifted to Zolpidem which can be more effective for insomnia that is sleep onset (less effective for insomnia where you are waking up and not abel to get back to sleep). It also gets out of your system faster. Most doctors prescribe Zoplicone but Zolpidem is way better for me.

TLDR: "Ask your doctor about Zolpidem".
The negative symptoms I had with zopiclone were it tended to lower my mood, gave me constipation, and I felt somewhat groggy the next morning. I also think it can become quite addictive and should be used with caution.

For me, I think short term use of zopiclone, like a night or two, is probably okay. However, whenever I used the drug over a lengthy period of time (months), it was very hard to get off it. In trying to stop using it, I had to go without any amount of sleep for five days until I started sleeping again. I have also heard stories of people having to go a lot longer, like weeks or more without sleep, in order to get off it.

Last edited by flamesfever; 04-15-2024 at 02:35 PM.
flamesfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2024, 02:41 PM   #368
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
My issue is also remaining asleep. I find it is a bit of a cat-and-mouse game getting back to sleep. When my mind starts taking over and for too long, I often will do something physical, like a Tabata. While it may seem counter-intuitive to do something that ups your heart rate, I find getting in touch with my body helps lessen the over-thinking somewhat.

I also search out podcasts that are somewhat but not too interesting to me as they can help me stop mulling over my anxious thoughts.
I've thought about this as well. My body is in "do something now" mode. So maybe exhausting yourself somehow is the right course? I do remember that about 6 years ago, I had similar issues. Went to the gym one time at 4:00 AM and sleep got much better after that.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2024, 02:44 PM   #369
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Did we just lose Fotze2 to sleep? Kind of an abrupt end.
I wish. Sleep will be from 6:00 to 6:30 tomorrow.....if I'm lucky.
The Following User Says Thank You to fotze2 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2024, 05:34 PM   #370
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

This is me. I can fall asleep, it’s the waking up to pee or whatever and hard to get back sleep.

I also got that zoplacone the highest dosage and it still doesn’t do the trick.

It’s actually kind of funny. Before I would have random bought of insomnia, but I’d sleep like a baby otherwise. That is after chugging pre workout at 7 pm working out and going to sleep easily at 10 or 11 and up at 7.

Now I’m wondering wtf happened. Melatonin is awful and doesn’t do anything. Taking a large dose only makes me groggy, I’d rather be hung over.

I’ll try doubling the magnesium tonight. Maybe I should go back to my nighttime working out routine. Covid really screwed my schedule. Never have been able to get back.
The Following User Says Thank You to Paulie Walnuts For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2024, 07:07 PM   #371
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
I've thought about this as well. My body is in "do something now" mode. So maybe exhausting yourself somehow is the right course? I do remember that about 6 years ago, I had similar issues. Went to the gym one time at 4:00 AM and sleep got much better after that.
I don't know if doing a full work-out is advisable as that would heat up your core which is typically not good for sleep. But who knows, it may work for you. A Tabata doesn't do that much to get my core heated up but, as I said, it gets me out of my head, somewhat. Whereas, if I just lay in bed, it's 100% thoughts, thoughts, thoughts.
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to D as in David For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2024, 09:33 PM   #372
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Anyone pumped for how crappy this upcoming sleep ordeal is gonna be. We should have a game thread. I think I get 1.4 hours tops tonight.
Old 04-15-2024, 09:45 PM   #373
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Anyone pumped for how crappy this upcoming sleep ordeal is gonna be. We should have a game thread. I think I get 1.4 hours tops tonight.
I popped 2 magnesium and put on a 96 Devils game.
Old 04-15-2024, 09:48 PM   #374
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I got a 50 mg gummie.
Old 04-15-2024, 09:51 PM   #375
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I got a 50 mg gummie.
Indica means in da bed.
Old 04-15-2024, 10:22 PM   #376
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

In da couch
Old 04-15-2024, 10:36 PM   #377
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Yup, can’t sleep. Tired as f but can’t sleep.
Old 04-16-2024, 01:32 AM   #378
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

You guys aren't looking at the bright side of being awake all night. Open your window and listen to the coyotes making the most annoying sounds you've ever heard in your life
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sr. Mints For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2024, 05:41 AM   #379
Francis's Hairpiece
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Oh man. Less than 4 hours broken up over the entire night, is not a satisfying sleep, and in fact makes me even more tired. I've got some of the magnesium recommended on here coming on order. And my company drug tests so I can't try the indica/gummies approach.
I can't turn off my ####ing brain! Go to ####ing sleep! Please?

It's got to get better than this.

Right?!
Old 04-16-2024, 07:38 AM   #380
FLAMESRULE
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm on day 3 of Mg-Bisglycinate (1 - 200mg pill at bed)...so far, so good. Anecdotally, it definitely seems like the brains turns off faster. Sleep feels deeper, dont think I even remember dreaming. Not really any difference when I get up, certainly not groggy like being on a sleeping pill or even a gummie.
FLAMESRULE is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FLAMESRULE For This Useful Post: