Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-2017, 08:52 AM   #41
rohara66
First Line Centre

Exp:

One OT lose and people go full stupid!

This thread is garbage and OP has cherry picked information so he can yammer on about a bunch of crap.

There were a handful of lower bowl pairs available Sunday evening… like we’re talking 6 maybe 7 pairs in the $350-$500 range. That’s it. There were zero pairs in the second bowl, zero pairs in the 300’s and a total of maybe 30-40 single seats in the second and third bowls around the entire stadium! 30 seats out of 19xxx!

The player release tickets that were released yesterday were available throughout the day, which is not uncommon. Especially considering the team was down 2-0 and it was a Monday night game.

Garbage thread is garbage.
rohara66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 08:55 AM   #42
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoRock View Post
He's right actually, I was considering going last minute and checked around 6 pm and I saw a huge row available in the 2nd bowl, several other pairs all over. Probably player ticket holds. But for 350 per seat I just couldn't swallow it.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
He's not. He said "there were rows available". As in, multiple. Implied: many.

The NHL holds back a bunch of seats for VIPs, the other team's players, etc that get released throughout game day as they go unclaimed. That is normal. But there was not rows of seats available.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 09:05 AM   #43
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

This thread is fake news
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2017, 09:07 AM   #44
Backlunds_socks
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

That was a capacity crowd, not that it should've been but it was.
Backlunds_socks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 09:10 AM   #45
Jojado
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by demzor View Post
Couldn't sell out a playoff game? Embarrassing.
Are you Donald Trump??

Jojado is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jojado For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2017, 09:13 AM   #46
Kolbe31
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
I was at Game 4 in 1996. Lots of empty seats and a library like atmosphere.
I was there too. My grandpa and I decided, last minute, that we'd go down to the Dome and try to get into the game with the $5 Safeway tickets/coupons we had (only supposed to be good for regular season). They let us in, no problem. We were able to move down from the nose bleeds immediately, getting some nice seats in the second level, center ice.
Kolbe31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 09:19 AM   #47
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the Flames have probably decided to revenue maximize, which is fine.

But I think part of the lack of sales on some of those tickets could be attributed to some general greasiness on the part of the organization. Two examples:

1) Ken King's ridiculous "we'd just move not threaten to move" nonsense about the building right before the playoffs.

2) The lack of season ticket renewals. Presumably they're seeing how they do in the playoffs before they decide how much to raise prices on STH for next year, which is super greasy, given they couldn't wait to get my money in the long lean years and always had renewals (with a playoff option you had to pay for!) out before they were officially eliminated.

Number (2) is why I wasn't at the game last night. I got laid off a year ago, so money is tight. I sold basically all the games throughout the year to pay for what I estimate the renewal should be. I figured for the playoffs I could sell one, go to one. But the uncertainty about how much next year is going to cost means I sold both, and put the money in my season ticket renewal fund, hopefully then I'm covered if they go up too much. I want to keep the tickets, but it'd be hard to justify pulling $$ from savings for that right now...

Now, that may not matter to the Flames, although whoever I sold mine to probably would have been willing to buy direct tickets. Just a comment that the ticket issue is not just a fan problem, it's partly a team management issue.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2017, 09:19 AM   #48
RM14
First Line Centre

Exp:

It was the same thing in Toronto for the Grey Cup.. the $500-$600 seats don't quite sell out. Not because fan support, but because there is a threshold people simply can't afford to pay.
RM14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 09:22 AM   #49
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Flames do this with the Stamps as well. I see plenty of Stampeder fans complaining about ticket prices. They would rather sell 27k seats at their prices than drop prices to sell 29k seats. It seems to be their business philosophy and I'm sure they know what's better for their bottom line than we do.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2017, 09:23 AM   #50
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

The economy has still not recovered either. A lot of Flames tickets in the past have been sold to people flush with bonus money, yearly raises, or corporate tickets and gifts. Lots of people are still on EI or being more discriminatory with their disposable income. Combine that with high prices and you will get this result. Doesn't help that the Flames can't win. It doesn't give much confidence that you aren't just flushing your money away to go home in disappointment.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 09:27 AM   #51
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backlunds_socks View Post
why would i waste my money on that game last night?
But then, how would you be able to join that other loser in the Dome sporting your Oiler jerseys?
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 09:29 AM   #52
MelBridgeman
Franchise Player

Exp:

A sell out is based on how many tickets are sold NOT how many are at the game. The NHL holdovers are still consider a part of the sell out even if they aren't given or purchased.
MelBridgeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 09:42 AM   #53
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

If they can charge twenty thousand people an average of 30 bucks more thats $600,000.

Why would they care if that meant they let $5000 worth of seats go unsold.

Crowd was unreal last night. Couldn't notice any empty seats either.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 09:52 AM   #54
Johnny Rotten
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemanja2306 View Post
I don't believe in curses.

Just simply wrong people running the franchise. Mismanagement, if you will.
Mismanagement? Maybe around 2009-2012/13. Now? I don't think so.

Not every team can win a draft lottery.
Old 04-18-2017, 10:10 AM   #55
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Attendance: 19,289.

Now, one could suggest not taking the Flames at their word. But at the same time, I don't take OP at his word either. He's made claims with no evidence to support them.
Do I need to scan the stub printed off by the Flames given away to people to move down? These are 2nd bowl tickets, not sure if they have NHL holds in row 15 of the second bowl or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
The building looked completely full to me last night and the crowd was incredible.
That's because they moved people from row 18 of the press level where no one can see them.

This is an old tactic they used in the dark years. We frequently got moved to the lower bowl for regular season games to make it look better for TV. I do agree the crowd was great.

It's still utterly brutal there were seats left empty for that game. Even if they are going to be sneaky and convert face value seats to resale seats at a lower price, just blow them out for a price people will pay and get some more people in the damn building.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2017, 10:14 AM   #56
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
The building looked completely full to me last night and the crowd was incredible.
I was there too.

Crowd could have been better. Why do so many wait to see prompts on the jumbotron before they cheer? Not as loud as on 2015 either. Could have a lot to do with the economic times...but to me, not the same atmosphere this year.
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 10:23 AM   #57
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by redforever View Post
I was there too.

Crowd could have been better. Why do so many wait to see prompts on the jumbotron before they cheer? Not as loud as on 2015 either. Could have a lot to do with the economic times...but to me, not the same atmosphere this year.
I thought given we were down 0-2 it was a pretty good crowd.

If we came home with the split, it would have been insane in there.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 10:26 AM   #58
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
I thought given we were down 0-2 it was a pretty good crowd.

If we came home with the split, it would have been insane in there.
My thinking is completely the opposite.

For Pete's sake, your team is down 2-0, rally your team and let them know you have their back. Get up off your arse and cheer.

And what a pathetic wave...just PATHETIC beyond words.

The usher in my section was fantastic though...never seen an usher get into the game and get his section going like this guy.
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to redforever For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2017, 10:36 AM   #59
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

I think it was just your section. Dome sounded loud and was constantly cheering until the end of the third where things fell apart.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 10:36 AM   #60
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by redforever View Post
My thinking is completely the opposite.

For Pete's sake, your team is down 2-0, rally your team and let them know you have their back. Get up off your arse and cheer.

And what a pathetic wave...just PATHETIC beyond words.

The usher in my section was fantastic though...never seen an usher get into the game and get his section going like this guy.
Are you pro wave? The only thing pathetic was doing the wave in a playoff game when you are only up two goals. The wave has no place in a sporting event when the game is still on the line.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote