Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-27-2017, 08:52 AM   #201
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flabbibulin View Post
Im pretty sure the Raiders will be in Oakland at least two more seasons regardless of approval. Stadium contract is two more years. Enough time for the NHL to get some sort of following?
Ah gotcha, thanks. I haven't been following the Raiders stuff closely at all, aside from knowing they almost moved to L.A. and now Vegas.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 12:08 PM   #202
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Adam Schefter‏Verified account @AdamSchefter 2m2 minutes ago
More
Raiders to Vegas: 31-1 Miami opposed, per source.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 12:12 PM   #203
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post
Adam Schefter‏Verified account @AdamSchefter 2m2 minutes ago
More
Raiders to Vegas: 31-1 Miami opposed, per source.
I guess the Dolphins figure South beach is the one place in the league where opposing players can best get into trouble pre game and want that advantage for themselves?
The Following User Says Thank You to Sylvanfan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2017, 12:33 PM   #204
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

More likely Miami thinks Vegas kicks them out of the Super Bowl rotation, which is looking like LA, Vegas, Arizona, New Orleans and various. Miami not happy to become "various", especially after they just upgraded their stadium.
Old 03-27-2017, 12:58 PM   #205
shogged
First Line Centre

Exp:

bad news for the golden knights. not much of a head start anymore
shogged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 01:13 PM   #206
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was a fair weather NFL fan through most of my 20's. As a kid I was a cowboys fan and a Broncos fan but not really hardcore either way. I got into fantasy football 4 years ago with my buddies and the last 3 years my wife joined a woman's fantasy league. NFL fandom in our house has increased substantially every year with this being the year we choose a team. Most of my friends root for the Seahawks and I have chosen to dislike that team (a lot of the supporters I am friends with also support the Canucks in hockey so maybe that is the reason behind it?)

A friend of mine is a Cowboys fan and almost had me convinced at the start of last year to pick them but then I heard about the potential for Vegas to get a team, but not any team, they would get the Raiders who are one of the best brands in the league. I watched a fair bit of their games last year and my wife and I decided if thebmove happens we are on the bandwagon now and going forward.

I know a lot of people in the Bay Area are pissed but I am ecstatic on the news. The one thing the Seahawks had was a close proximity and direct flights from Calgary. Vegas is just as easy a location to get to with all kinds of great restaurants, shows, NHL, parties etc.

I am stoked as the Raiders gained 3 lifelong fans today
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 01:26 PM   #207
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

What a strange time to become a dedicated fan. A time when the league office is as big a disgrace as it's ever been, where the product is the worst its been in a long time, and when the league's greed has reached the highest level it ever has. Sounds like you should be becoming a fan of US Congress too while you're at it. Most longtime NFL fans I know are watching less football than ever.
Old 03-27-2017, 01:34 PM   #208
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
What a strange time to become a dedicated fan. A time when the league office is as big a disgrace as it's ever been, where the product is the worst its been in a long time, and when the league's greed has reached the highest level it ever has. Sounds like you should be becoming a fan of US Congress too while you're at it. Most longtime NFL fans I know are watching less football than ever.
Happy wife happy life. No way I would want to slow the momentum I have been able to build over the last 3 years. Instead of having to sell the idea of purchasing Sunday ticket my wife suggested it before I had the chance.

My wife is also not a huge pro sports fan. We met in the summer of 09 and early on she tried to get into the Flames but missing the playoffs 6 of 7 years didn't help. Now she loves the NFL I am also going all in.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 01:39 PM   #209
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

The first line is all you gotta say lol. But hey if you wanna tune her out right quick, just let her know the "Breast Cancer" gear is a sham, less than 4% of the money actually goes to charity, the rest right into the NFL's pockets. Also let her know the NHL has significantly better human beings in the league than the NFL.
Old 03-27-2017, 02:35 PM   #210
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Browns still after Garappalo

Good...I see a future 1st overall for the Pats!
Cheese is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 02:41 PM   #211
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

1st overall lol. The Browns have the Moneyball front office now, we need to stop acting like they're ######ed. If I was a Pats fan I'd be looking at #12 this year and a second round pick as the best case Ontario. Wouldn't offer that if I was the Browns though.
Old 03-27-2017, 03:45 PM   #212
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wouldn't even trade #12, I'd offer 33 and another 2nd. Don't think the Pats would take it, but Garoppolo has two NFL starts ... I wouldn't give up a 12th overall pick for him given all the talent that is available in this draft.

Has to sting a bit though, they have seen Wentz do well in Philly and now have all those picks in a draft class without any elite QB talent.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 04:11 PM   #213
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

as far as the relocation goes, I absolutely hate it. I always feel for the local fans who lose their team, and to me, the Raiders have always been a cult franchise that I've closely associated with California. Seeing them go to Vegas just seems ... weird.
Old 03-27-2017, 06:13 PM   #214
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
1st overall lol. The Browns have the Moneyball front office now, we need to stop acting like they're ######ed. If I was a Pats fan I'd be looking at #12 this year and a second round pick as the best case Ontario. Wouldn't offer that if I was the Browns though.
Lol...the proof is in the pudding...Brown pudding. They think he is elite and elite QBs go for first overall...but I'd be happy with 12 and a couple of seconds too!
Cheese is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 06:41 PM   #215
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

That would ignore the great trade they just made for Brock's contract. Ultimately I'm guessing devo is spot on in terms of what the Browns are offering, a couple seconds, maybe a conditional first but that would probably be heavily conditional so maybe like a 2018 or 2019 first rounder if Garoppolo signs long-term (which means he doesn't suck next year). I've liked the Browns moves the most part the last few seasons, I think they're on the right track at least. Gotta be like the Sixers though, trust the process.

And absolutely no one thinks Garoppolo is elite, it's more that teams are simply QB desperate. But time has given people the chance to remind themselves that what he did in weeks 1 and 2 this year....Matt Cassel did for nearly 16 weeks in 2008. Oh and Garoppolo is a UFA after the year and there's no way the Patriots franchise him, maybe the transition tag but that just means right to match. Longer this goes on, the less the Pats get. Browns are in a good spot here, no need to get desperate.

Last edited by Senator Clay Davis; 03-27-2017 at 06:45 PM.
Senator Clay Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 06:51 PM   #216
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I've liked the Browns moves the most part the last few seasons, I think they're on the right track at least.
yup. Good decisions with their coaching staff too, Hue Jackson is alright and Gregg Williams as DC was a decent hire as well. They'll still have to make the best out of their plethora of draft picks, but I think they are on the right track. Will take a few years though.
Old 03-27-2017, 07:02 PM   #217
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Oh look it's the smug young liberal (categorizing is the way you like to play I see) here on behalf of the minorities that didn't ask him to speak on behalf of them. I'm not lecturing anyone. I'm just stating why he's out of a job and why I don't blame the teams. I'm on a couple of Oakland Raiders forums that are populated by lots of black people and pretty well all of them condemned him for it there as well. I suppose you are the voice for them as well? You like to believe you are some voice of reason but in reality you have become a pest on these forums always picking out things like this to add your liberal commentary that nobody asked for. Calling poster that you disagree with as "old men" (I laugh at this one all the time as it's inevitable you will be one as well and the tables will be turned 180) and your drive by posts like this that contribute absolutely nothing to the discussion. Your self righteous drivel got really old a few years ago and is barely tolerable today. It's a sports forum not a political forum so stick to the OT forum if you don't have anything of value to add to the discussion of NFL.
Didn't you kind of raise the political element in your original post?
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 07:37 PM   #218
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post
I guess the Dolphins figure South beach is the one place in the league where opposing players can best get into trouble pre game and want that advantage for themselves?
Some NFL writers guessed it might have been because now Vegas is major player for super bowls, competition for Miami

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
I was a fair weather NFL fan through most of my 20's. As a kid I was a cowboys fan and a Broncos fan but not really hardcore either way. I got into fantasy football 4 years ago with my buddies and the last 3 years my wife joined a woman's fantasy league. NFL fandom in our house has increased substantially every year with this being the year we choose a team. Most of my friends root for the Seahawks and I have chosen to dislike that team (a lot of the supporters I am friends with also support the Canucks in hockey so maybe that is the reason behind it?)

A friend of mine is a Cowboys fan and almost had me convinced at the start of last year to pick them but then I heard about the potential for Vegas to get a team, but not any team, they would get the Raiders who are one of the best brands in the league. I watched a fair bit of their games last year and my wife and I decided if thebmove happens we are on the bandwagon now and going forward.

I know a lot of people in the Bay Area are pissed but I am ecstatic on the news. The one thing the Seahawks had was a close proximity and direct flights from Calgary. Vegas is just as easy a location to get to with all kinds of great restaurants, shows, NHL, parties etc.

I am stoked as the Raiders gained 3 lifelong fans today
Ya even as a life long Raiders fan picking it up from my dad when I was little it's bittersweet

I've been to a lot of games down in Oakland and it was a nice place to go and the fans are great, so I feel bad for them. But personally the excuse to go to Vegas now at least once a year will be great. If I lived in the Bay area though I'd be mad, especially since the team looks poised to be a contender going forward

I don't see how people can really blame Davis though, he's giving back any season ticket deposits people made for this year, and it's also a deal he couldn't turn down

I don't think public money for football stadiums makes a ton of sense, if it makes any sense though it would be Vegas, it's a new hotel tax I believe so it's not residents paying for it

But also just from a money sense, Davis is not rich NFL wise and he basically got a free stadium. Oakland wasn't going to give them money, so from a business standpoint it was a no brainer
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to d_phaneuf For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2017, 08:23 PM   #219
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anybody want to share LV Raiders season tickets? Good excuse to go down and play some poker.

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 08:30 PM   #220
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yes, I would. Maybe we can get a group together and purchase couple of them.
Da_Chief is offline   Reply With Quote