Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

View Poll Results: Do you feel Brad Treliving has done a good job in his 2.5 seasons in Calgary?
Yes 664 86.46%
No 104 13.54%
Voters: 768. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-23-2017, 08:45 AM   #41
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
This is a good way to get qualified people wanting the job. Well done, Flames. Hard for a manager to do anything when he feels he might not be back, regardless of the outcome or the quality of his moves.
They touched on this too. Fascinating segment overall. Never a dull moment with this team it seems. Off the ice anyway.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2017, 08:45 AM   #42
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
This is a good way to get qualified people wanting the job. Well done, Flames. Hard for a manager to do anything when he feels he might not be back, regardless of the outcome or the quality of his moves.
I'm not patting the owners backs here. If you listen to the interview he singles out the Flames owners as doing things differently from the rest of the league and that they are quite comfortable letting the GM work on an expiring deal.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 08:46 AM   #43
the_only_turek_fan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Nah I just think some fans really weren't prepared for this news and don't want to believe it may be coming. Elliott of all people would know his comments would go viral amongst Flames fans. I suggest anyone that didn't hear it sould listen before commenting. He also said Treliving's was "uncomfortable" with the situation. He clearly knows something is up here.
Fans may not be prepared, but the thread title is just not an accurate description of what was said. It is not correct.
the_only_turek_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to the_only_turek_fan For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2017, 08:47 AM   #44
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Does anyone know if Burke has a contract going forward or is this also his last year. Can't help but feel this is connected to him in some way that management has lost faith in him.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 08:47 AM   #45
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotinthebacklund View Post
Give me a break, Brings in elliott the league leader sv% with a good trade to accomplish this and the player lays a egg.
I don't disagree with you but that eventually falls back on the GM that brought him in.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 08:48 AM   #46
the_only_turek_fan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

It seems to me there are too many cooks in the kitchen. It's funny how in 2 short years the clown show has moved 300km south of Edmonton.
the_only_turek_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 08:48 AM   #47
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post
Does anyone know if Burke has a contract going forward or is this also his last year. Can't help but feel this is connected to him in some way that management has lost faith in him.
Fonz made a point that Burke might take on Team USA this off-season.
kukkudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 08:50 AM   #48
Justin
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron_fdc View Post
Just to add some context, he said he's "not 100% convinced Treliving will be back".

Said Calgary is comfortable letting his contract expire, then look at it. Most (if not all) other teams don't work that way, but Calgary does.

"not 100% convinced" could be he's 90% convinced he will and 10% convinced he won't. Let's relax.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 08:51 AM   #49
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_only_turek_fan View Post
Fans may not be prepared, but the thread title is just not an accurate description of what was said. It is not correct.
It's a matter of semantics as when he says "he's not convinced he will be the GM even if they make the playoffs" that is telling that he thinks the decision may have already been made.
Old 01-23-2017, 08:51 AM   #50
Racki
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Tre had the right vision and approach. Just the wrong coach hire.

As long as he upgrades the latter, I'd like to see him stay and continue building his team.
If Treliving is shown the door I would be absolutely shocked if Gulutzan doesn't go with him. I think he was a Treliving hire and they get out of that mistake at the same time. It's too bad. I like Treliving.
Old 01-23-2017, 08:52 AM   #51
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_only_turek_fan View Post
It seems to me there are too many cooks in the kitchen. It's funny how in 2 short years the clown show has moved 300km south of Edmonton.
You have to think the Flames Ownership are a bit pissed in seeing the Oilers having some success now, have a brand new building and are the talk of the NHL.
Old 01-23-2017, 08:52 AM   #52
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

i was hoping it wasn't our turn to become a ruderless mess now that the Oilers are starting to become semi-respectable.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2017, 08:55 AM   #53
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kukkudo View Post
You have to think the Flames Ownership are a bit pissed in seeing the Oilers having some success now, have a brand new building and are the talk of the NHL.
Yeah but how is that Treliving's fault? Don't discount the buying out of Raymond and Bollig's salary in the AHL. Flames owners have always loathed playing players not to play for them. There are lots of factors to consider from their viewpoint.
Old 01-23-2017, 08:55 AM   #54
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It's a matter of semantics as when he says "he's not convinced he will be the GM even if they make the playoffs" that is telling that he thinks the decision may have already been made.
It still is making a bit of a leap.

Saying he's "Not 100% Convinced he will be back even if we make the playoffs" does not mean that Friedman believes Treliving will not be back next season.

I agree that more clarification is needed within the title because this title makes it look like the decision is already made.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 08:56 AM   #55
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

The only reason why the Oilers are "respectable" is because they won a lottery. Their management is putrid.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2017, 08:57 AM   #56
Racki
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Nah I just think some fans really weren't prepared for this news and don't want to believe it may be coming. Elliott of all people would know his comments would go viral amongst Flames fans. I suggest anyone that didn't hear it sould listen before commenting. He also said Treliving's was "uncomfortable" with the situation. He clearly knows something is up here.
Correct. I listened on the way into work. Friedman didn't sound wishy washy at all. He knew how his comments would be perceived and he didn't try and hedge. It sounded like he had some pretty good intel that Brad would be gone and that Brad wasn't happy. He also made it clear that the Flames are unique in how they have handled this situation.
Old 01-23-2017, 08:57 AM   #57
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The thread title is misleading. Saying people "should listen before commenting" is a cop out.

EF believes Treliving will not be back /= EF believes there's a chance Treliving will not be back

Guess what, there is a chance he will be back if they make the playoffs. There is also a chance he will be back if they don't make the playoffs.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 08:57 AM   #58
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Treliving isn't renewed, I'll be seriously worried
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 08:57 AM   #59
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah but how is that Treliving's fault? Don't discount the buying out of Raymond and Bollig's salary in the AHL. Flames owners have always loathed playing players not to play for them. There are lots of factors to consider from their viewpoint.
Not blaming Treliving here. I think this ownership group expectations are very high. Get them into the playoffs ice a competitive team or gtfo.
Old 01-23-2017, 08:58 AM   #60
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
It still is making a bit of a leap.

Saying he's "Not 100% Convinced he will be back even if we make the playoffs" does not mean that Friedman believes Treliving will not be back next season.

I agree that more clarification is needed within the title because this title makes it look like the decision is already made.
I believe mods have to change the title and I'm fine with it if some of you really want it. I think if you actually listen to the interview most would agree that Elliot is letting the cat out of the bag today. Even the 960 guys were giddy over their big morning of news.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 01-23-2017 at 09:00 AM.