Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Do you feel Brad Treliving has done a good job in his 2.5 seasons in Calgary?
Yes 664 86.46%
No 104 13.54%
Voters: 768. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-23-2017, 08:26 AM   #21
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I forgive Treliving for the 3 headed net issue. You also can't blame the guy for getting two decent goalies 1 who was suppose to be elite and sh*t the bed. This all comes down to his hiring of GG if he is not being renewed.
kukkudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 08:27 AM   #22
HotHotHeat
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm just glad Ken King continues to be immune to accountability.
HotHotHeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 08:27 AM   #23
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

I would change the thread title. "Belives Treliving will not be back next season" isn't the same as "even if the Flames make the playoffs I'm not convinced he will be the GM next season".
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to SportsJunky For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2017, 08:30 AM   #24
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotHotHeat View Post
The biggest problem with this organization right now.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2017, 08:31 AM   #25
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

nothing would really surpise me - but I guess the first question becomes, if you let him go - who is out there that would be better? if if you go with someone new, then that means starting again......
Old 01-23-2017, 08:32 AM   #26
Saint Troy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Does Burke want to be GM again? Strange news.

Saint Troy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 08:32 AM   #27
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Weird. Wonder if there was a trade or other transaction that didn't happen that has ownership upset?

Regardless I will believe it when I see it. If he were not to come back, I wouldn't lose much sleep. Far from irreplaceable although he clearly deserves more time.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 08:33 AM   #28
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Honestly can't wait until the Flames try to fill the void of skill with meat and potatoes.
Old 01-23-2017, 08:33 AM   #29
drewtastic
First Line Centre

Exp:

Four people in the GM role (Sutter, Feaster, Burke, Treliving) and five in the Head Coach role (Playfair, Keenan, B. Sutter, Hartley, Gulutzan) since 2007. Continual changes in management and corporate "vision" are disruptive for any workplace, let alone one that is time-sensitively linked to players' ages and development.

Treliving certainly has some work to do with this roster, but the changes he'd implemented last off-season were heralded league-wide. Players underperforming cannot be pinned entirely on him and/or the coaches. After all, if the reasons floated over the summer for Hartley's ousting are to be believed, it was the players who wanted the change. They (the players) have a good deal of culpability here, methinks.

Treliving will gain decent maneuverability at the end of this season, via expiring contracts. My vote goes to giving him at VERY least one more off-season to provide a supporting cast to the core kids.
drewtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to drewtastic For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2017, 08:35 AM   #30
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Agreed on the thread title, this is exactly why Friedman stopped doing radio spots in Calgary. Taking what he said and twisting it slightly so it sounds worse is not going to encourage more content from him.

That said, if Treliving isn't renewed I wouldn't be surprised. Not saying it's the right move, but there is clearly something goalie related (coaching?) he's yet to fix, and he's payed a lot for a roster where the forwards are struggling to score and the defenders regularly make defensive mistakes. We've got some guys playing great, but when 4 of your supposed top 6 guys have been below average or downright awful for most of the season, it's fair to criticise.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2017, 08:35 AM   #31
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotHotHeat View Post
He's actually less accountable than he ever has seeing he's been hands off the hockey operations since Burke was hired. Some of the King hate here is ridiculous.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2017, 08:36 AM   #32
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

The key thing is we really don't know what went down with the whole coaching thing. We have no idea if Boudreau was interested. We do have some indication that someone high up in the Flames organization was interested in Boudreau (someone fed Francis that info). Did Treliving make a stand and refused to consider Boudreau, despite wishes higher up? Who knows? It sounds like those couple weeks may turn out to be his undoing (assuming there is something to this). That's really the only thing that makes sense - otherwise, why would Treliving's job even be an issue???

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 08:37 AM   #33
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
I would change the thread title. "Belives Treliving will not be back next season" isn't the same as "even if the Flames make the playoffs I'm not convinced he will be the GM next season".
Nah I just think some fans really weren't prepared for this news and don't want to believe it may be coming. Elliott of all people would know his comments would go viral amongst Flames fans. I suggest anyone that didn't hear it sould listen before commenting. He also said Treliving's was "uncomfortable" with the situation. He clearly knows something is up here.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 01-23-2017 at 08:39 AM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2017, 08:37 AM   #34
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Treliving has been just OK. Not great, but not a total failure. Obviously the team has set the bar pretty high. This team should be much more competitive right now.

I just hope that if they do let him go that it's not because Burke wants to be a GM again. I also hope they clear out the coaching staff as well because I wouldn't want to see another wasted year being stuck with coaches that the GM has no long-term investment in.
Old 01-23-2017, 08:38 AM   #35
FireItUp
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I think you give him another year to see what he does with some extra cap space (Wideman 5.25mil, Engelland 2.9mil, Smid 3.5mil). Seems like the Flames give up too easily on GM's, so it wouldn't surprise me tho.
Old 01-23-2017, 08:38 AM   #36
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
nothing would really surpise me - but I guess the first question becomes, if you let him go - who is out there that would be better? if if you go with someone new, then that means starting again......
A Calgary Flame Pro Scout Don Mahoney is waiting for a job.
Old 01-23-2017, 08:40 AM   #37
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladtheImpaler View Post
The key thing is we really don't know what went down with the whole coaching thing. We have no idea if Boudreau was interested. We do have some indication that someone high up in the Flames organization was interested in Boudreau (someone fed Francis that info). Did Treliving make a stand and refused to consider Boudreau, despite wishes higher up? Who knows? It sounds like those couple weeks may turn out to be his undoing (assuming there is something to this). That's really the only thing that makes sense - otherwise, why would Treliving's job even be an issue???
If it's something like this, it could be so many things. It would be hard to believe the Burke wasn't pushing hard for Carlyle. That delay could have simply pushed the Flames out of the running for Boudreau.
Old 01-23-2017, 08:40 AM   #38
Bear
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

1) This isn't the first time Elliotte has brought this up. He's mentioned it a few times in the last week and isn't typically careless with information.

2) This would seem like a step back to me. I don't love every move he's made but I do have a sense of comfort in his overall decision making. I really haven't liked the way the team are playing this year but one thing that reassured me was that Treliving would be seeing the same shortcomings and act accordingly.

3) Get the feeling Maloney wasn't just brought in to be a pro scout.
Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 08:41 AM   #39
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladtheImpaler View Post
I would love to know the whole story too. Eric Francis seemed confident Flames were going after Boudreau.
Old 01-23-2017, 08:41 AM   #40
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
He also said Treliving's was "uncomfortable" with the situation. He clearly knows something is up here.
This is a good way to get qualified people wanting the job. Well done, Flames. Hard for a manager to do anything when he feels he might not be back, regardless of the outcome or the quality of his moves.