Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 04-22-2017, 11:32 PM   #5561
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustygoon View Post
I like how we have moved to an efficient state of communication on here beyond even emojis. You didn't even need to mention what type of pants and shoes this specimen was wearing.
and they were the good pants as well with the trifecta of mustard representing; French's regular, Dijon and Heinz regular.

We had joy, we had fun, we had a season in the sun, but the wine and the fun like the season is all gone.

Average team is average. Average drafts, average results, average trades, average asset management, average vision, average outcomes. Average.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to McG For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2017, 12:22 PM   #5562
Red Slinger
First Line Centre

Exp:

I've lived in Edmonton now for about 5 months after moving from Calgary for work. I thought I'd approach it with an open mind and really give it a chance to feel like home. Sure, it's kinda a gray, dusty, barren industrial city without much architectural merit but they are working on it with projects like the new arena, new LRT line, etc. The mayor of Edmonton seems to have his head on straight. While it doesn't have the mountains, the river can be picturesque in some areas. Although, it's a little colder and grayer in Edmonton I find it's not as windy. Traffic also seems to be a little easier than in Calgary. Also, they seem to have a lot of festivals in the summer. So, there are definitely some positives about living in Edmonton.

But then...I noticed something popping up every now and again that I ignored at first as an outlier, but then I kept noticing it. Every few days I see a local commercial on TV, a newspaper headline, a quote from a local official or just some random commentary extoling Edmonton and Edmontonians as "special". Over and over I hear the same comment from the locals and their media that the city is a special place to live and the area is special and the hockey team is special and the fans are special and McDavid and the stadium is special and the river is special and McDavid and the history is special and "5 CUPS, did you know we have 5 CUPS!!!???" and McDavid and the capital and festivals and McDavid and special special special special special...

The inferiority complex in this town is staggering.

BTW- for shame to let this go to the second page. They may be in the second round but forever and always:

EDMONTON IS NO GOOD!
Old 04-24-2017, 01:18 PM   #5563
Ashartus
First Line Centre

Exp:

I was proud of my 9 year-old son this morning. He was asking who we should cheer for now in the playoffs, and as part of the conversation told me the Flames are his favourite team, and his 2nd favourite team is whoever is playing the Oilers.
Old 04-24-2017, 01:21 PM   #5564
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Slinger View Post
I've lived in Edmonton now for about 5 months after moving from Calgary for work. I thought I'd approach it with an open mind and really give it a chance to feel like home. Sure, it's kinda a gray, dusty, barren industrial city without much architectural merit but they are working on it with projects like the new arena, new LRT line, etc. The mayor of Edmonton seems to have his head on straight. While it doesn't have the mountains, the river can be picturesque in some areas. Although, it's a little colder and grayer in Edmonton I find it's not as windy. Traffic also seems to be a little easier than in Calgary. Also, they seem to have a lot of festivals in the summer. So, there are definitely some positives about living in Edmonton.

But then...I noticed something popping up every now and again that I ignored at first as an outlier, but then I kept noticing it. Every few days I see a local commercial on TV, a newspaper headline, a quote from a local official or just some random commentary extoling Edmonton and Edmontonians as "special". Over and over I hear the same comment from the locals and their media that the city is a special place to live and the area is special and the hockey team is special and the fans are special and McDavid and the stadium is special and the river is special and McDavid and the history is special and "5 CUPS, did you know we have 5 CUPS!!!???" and McDavid and the capital and festivals and McDavid and special special special special special...

BTW- for shame to let this go to the second page. They may be in the second round but forever and always:

EDMONTON IS NO GOOD!

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2017, 01:27 PM   #5565
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Slinger View Post

EDMONTON IS NO GOOD!
I've been living in Edmonton also for the last five months, and I have yet to hear anyone say that or see in on TV ...?
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2017, 01:57 PM   #5566
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

My 6 year old thinks the name of the town is actually Deadmonton.
Old 04-24-2017, 02:02 PM   #5567
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well.....we could start a petition...

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2017, 02:10 PM   #5568
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashartus View Post
I was proud of my 9 year-old son this morning. He was asking who we should cheer for now in the playoffs, and as part of the conversation told me the Flames are his favourite team, and his 2nd favourite team is whoever is playing the Oilers.
My youngest boy scored two goals in his first lacrosse game this weekend and I got that proud feeling of seeing him do well but him saying something like that would bring a tear to my eye as it would be reaffirmation that I'm a good father.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2017, 04:42 PM   #5569
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

The amount of Oilers hats and car flags starting to spring up around town is a little gross. I also can't help but notice that pretty much across the board, it's the old copper & navy blue version of the Oilers, as in stuff they bought years ago (yet it doesn't even look that worn?). They're all finally crawling out from under that 11 year rock and dusting off the old spring 2006 purchases I guess..
Old 04-24-2017, 05:03 PM   #5570
Five-hole
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
The amount of Oilers hats and car flags starting to spring up around town is a little gross. I also can't help but notice that pretty much across the board, it's the old copper & navy blue version of the Oilers, as in stuff they bought years ago (yet it doesn't even look that worn?). They're all finally crawling out from under that 11 year rock and dusting off the old spring 2006 purchases I guess..
That's better than them being bandwagoners, isn't it?
Old 04-24-2017, 05:05 PM   #5571
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yep, front-runners are marginally more tolerable than bandwagoners. Both only show up during the good times, but at least the former stays with the same team. Both deserve mockery from diehards however
Old 04-24-2017, 05:32 PM   #5572
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
I did both. Pulled out my old 2006 one and bought a new orange one.
Old 04-24-2017, 05:42 PM   #5573
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
I have trained both my kids to call it Dumpsville.

We had to stay there last summer for a swim meet and the name is appropriate.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to chedder For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2017, 08:12 PM   #5574
Kjesse
Retired

Exp:

My three year old when asked about the Oilers, says "new rink same stink" or "Oilers bad". Proud papa here.

Although recently when she was angry with me she ran to the bathroom to be alone and shouted, "I'm never going to a Flames game again, I like the Oilers."

We have a little ways to go. She knows how to get back at me already.

Last edited by Kjesse; 04-24-2017 at 08:14 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kjesse For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2017, 08:21 PM   #5575
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

But guys, the GORGEOUS RIVER VALLEY!

Surrounded by concrete and refineries
The Following User Says Thank You to Ducay For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2017, 08:50 PM   #5576
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

I also teach my adorably twee and precocious yet non existent children to disparage Edmonton whenever possible. For example, just the other day my 9 year old came home from school and said "Father! Are those sweatpants? What is this... mulletville?"

We had a good natured chuckle. I changed into jeans to avoid further embarrassment.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2017, 08:05 AM   #5577
Ruttiger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Also posted in the new arena thread - thought it applied to both:

http://calgaryherald.com/news/politi...lenges-calgary
Old 04-26-2017, 08:17 AM   #5578
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruttiger View Post
Also posted in the new arena thread - thought it applied to both:

http://calgaryherald.com/news/politi...lenges-calgary
Quote:
The big fights are still ahead, of course. Money is always the flashpoint. Edmonton council’s brawls with Oilers czar Daryl Katz were monumental.
Yeah...rolling over and giving him exactly what he wanted must have been rough.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 04-26-2017, 08:35 AM   #5579
Muffins
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Yeah...rolling over and giving him exactly what he wanted must have been rough.
How else were they gonna get that big movie part?

....oh wait that's a different Katz thing.
Old 04-26-2017, 11:20 AM   #5580
Red Slinger
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm seeing a lot of the orange jerseys and flags around now. I never minded the Oilers blue jerseys but those orange concoctions are just revolting.

Legit question Oiler fans: do you actually like the orange monstrosities?
Closed Thread