Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2016, 01:37 PM   #1
OzSome
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default GAME 13: Blue Bombers at STAMPEDERS

Game Time: Saturday, Sept 24th @ 2:00pm
McMahon Stadium
Televised: TSN, ESPN3

Two of the hottest teams in the CFL are playing on Saturday afternoon at McMahon Stadium. Winnipeg Blue Bombers(8-4 16pts, 3rd in the West) unbeaten in 7 games and Calgary Stampeders(10-1-1 21pts, 1st in the West) unbeaten in 11 games and won 9 games in a row are facing each other for the 3rd time this season. Calgary won both games Week 2 in Calgary 36-22 and Week 5 in Winnipeg 33-18. On both games Drew Willy was the QB for the Bombers. As we all know ever since the Bombers inserted Matt Nichols as the starting QB after the Bombers lost to Calgary, they haven't lost a game yet. Some people were claiming the Bombers haven't played the top teams yet ever since. Bombers won against the Argonauts twice, Saskatchewan twice, Montreal, Edmonton and Zach Collaros-less Hamilton Tigercats. I guess this is the first test for them. Other than that I think Matt Nichols improved this team a lot and at the same time all 3 facets of their game improved as well.
Winnipeg and Calgary are ranked 1 & 2 on points allowed and turnover commited. Stamps are 6-0 at home this season while the Bombers are 5-1 on the road.

OFFENSE:

QB Bo Levi Mitchell, named one of the CFL Performer of the Week was on fire early in last week's game over Ottawa Redblacks. Offense scored 3 touchdowns on their first three series (Messam and Buckley's rushing TD and McDaniel great effort after the catch). Unfortunately they missed a couple of 2-point conversion. Mitchell ended up with 24/36 for 361 yards and 2 TD for the day. Offense stalled in the 3rd quarter but bounced back in the 4th.

Bakari Grant were having a pretty good game early ending up with 2 catches for 58 yards but had to leave the game in the 1st quarter due to injury. He is now listed on a 6-games injured list. Grant's replacement on offense rookie Canadian Juwan Brescacin made some impression with his spectacular one-handed catch in the first half. Brescacin caught 2 balls for 35 yards. Marquay McDaniel was Mitchell's favorite target last week. Quay caught 6 passes for 110 yards and 1 TD. RB Jerome Messam was a dual-threat for Stamps. He ended up rushing 11 times for 35 yards and 1 TD plus catching 2 passes for 37 yards. R Davaris Daniels was pretty quiet all game but he made a highlight touchdown catch in the 4th quarter that sealed the deal for the Stamps. Daniels caught 4 times for 34 yards including 1 awesome TD catch. He also rushed the ball for 9 yards in the 2nd half.

Offensive line did a great job again last week only surrending 1 QB sack. Randy Richards playing on a left tackle had a good game and that might give Dickenson some time to rest Shane Bergman for another game. Stamps are playing with 3 imports on the OLine and might stay with 3 again this weekend.

DEEFENSE:

I thought defense as a whole played well last week. The only problem they have was the long passes by Trevor Harris. Harris picked on rookie DB Shaquille Richardson all game. Richardson got beat by Ernest Jackson and Juron Griner. Other than that, the whole group was great. Run Defense was awesome all night stopping RB Van pretty much on every run. Van rushed for 16 times and Stamps only gave up 56 yards.

MLB Alex Singleton had a monster game. He was all over the field in pretty much in all the plays. He ended up with 10 tackles all game. I guess Dickenson knows how special this guy is that is why he let Taylor Reed walked in spite of his good plays. Another player with the monster game was DT Micah Johnson. Johnson was flagged for roughing the passer late in the 2nd half but instead of sulking he sacked Trevor Harris on the next play. Johnson had 5 tackles for the night.

DE Charleston Hughes were also great with 4 tackles and 2 QB sacks. I thought he had 3 sacks but I guess one of them was not counted. I thought DE Ja'Gared Davis is trying to get himself cut from the team with his 2 boneheaded and unnecessary penalties in the 2nd half that gave Ottawa a fresh first down instead of 3rd down. At the end though he made up for those mistakes and recover a fumble for a touchdown late in the game. DB Jamar Wall scored the other defensive touchdown in the 2nd half but intercepting Harris pass and run it to the end zone.

SPECIAL TEAM:

Special team coverage were good enough not to allow Tristan Jackson a return TD in the game. They pretty much stopped Jackson on all his return except on one. I believed that was the last Jackson's return before getting injured and left for the game. Both kicker Rene Paredes and punter Rob Maver had their normal routine taken care of.

Stamps players on a 1-game injured list are: DE Frank Beltre, OL Shane Bergman, DB Ciante Evans, RB Tory Harrison, R Kamar Jorden and R Joe West. No word on who will replace Bakari Grant on the roster yet.

6-games injured list: R Greg Wilson, C Pierre Lavertu, OL Roman Grozman and OL Karl Lavoie.

DT Quinn Smith will sit out his 3rd game of 3 games suspension.

GO STAMPS GO!!!!

Last edited by OzSome; 09-24-2016 at 06:28 PM.
OzSome is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to OzSome For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2016, 01:43 PM   #2
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

BooOooOooombers ....BooOooOooombers ....BooOooOooombers ....

I wish I had a link to the Mike Richards Bombers fight song.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to White Out 403 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2016, 01:46 PM   #3
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

I put this in the Stamps thread but will drop it here as well as i find it fascinating...

Quote:
This weekends game is the two longest winning streaks to ever meet in CFL history.

Pretty cool stuff, and the Bombers haven't lost since they were beaten by..... the Stamps 2 months ago 33-18 in Winnipeg.

Calgary is 13-1 against the Bombers since 2003 at McMahon. Average score 33- 19.

Calgary for the Bombers is like Anaheim for the Flames.
Old 09-22-2016, 09:23 PM   #4
Jets4Life
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The Bombers are doing well this season so I am looking to get tickets with my friend to hopefully come within 10 points of the stampeders.
Jets4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 11:06 PM   #5
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just looking for a good effort

....nah. KICK SOME ASS, BLUE
Old 09-23-2016, 08:09 AM   #6
OzSome
Franchise Player

Exp:

Stamps DT Junior Turner underwent knee surgery and he'll be out for a couple of weeks.

R Kamar Jorden is practicing with the first team so he might be in for Saturday game vs Winnipeg. Dickenson just want to make sure he'll fit in with the ratio thing. Juwan Brescacin was also getting more rep on the 1st team.
Old 09-23-2016, 08:53 AM   #7
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzSome View Post
Stamps DT Junior Turner underwent knee surgery and he'll be out for a couple of weeks.

R Kamar Jorden is practicing with the first team so he might be in for Saturday game vs Winnipeg. Dickenson just want to make sure he'll fit in with the ratio thing. Juwan Brescacin was also getting more rep on the 1st team.
Brutal news on Turner. Bergman is back though so that will help with the ratio.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 10:14 AM   #8
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

lets go big blue!!!!
Old 09-23-2016, 10:39 AM   #9
OzSome
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlpineOracle View Post
Brutal news on Turner. Bergman is back though so that will help with the ratio.
Yep. Good news too that Derek Wiggan will start as an interior lineman replacing Junior Turner. I thought Wiggan was still injured but i guess he's healthy. Good thing too because Quinn Smith will sit out another game due to suspension.

Last edited by OzSome; 09-23-2016 at 11:34 AM.
Old 09-24-2016, 02:09 PM   #10
OzSome
Franchise Player

Exp:

nice return by Roy Finch.
Old 09-24-2016, 02:14 PM   #11
OzSome
Franchise Player

Exp:

TD Kamar Jorden!!!

Awesome start by the Stamps. 7 plays in their first possession.
The Following User Says Thank You to OzSome For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2016, 02:17 PM   #12
MissTeeks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pretty empty stadium again today.

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.
MissTeeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 02:18 PM   #13
OzSome
Franchise Player

Exp:

oohh Jamar Wall came so close on another Pick 6.
Old 09-24-2016, 02:19 PM   #14
OzSome
Franchise Player

Exp:

a sack by Derek Wiggan!! Need to pressure Nichols all game.
Old 09-24-2016, 02:21 PM   #15
OzSome
Franchise Player

Exp:

great move by Finch again to gain more yardage on punt return.
Old 09-24-2016, 02:31 PM   #16
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTeeks View Post
Pretty empty stadium again today.
Always a good atmosphere there but the stadium itself is a total dump don't blame people for not going.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 02:32 PM   #17
Hockey-and_stuff
First Line Centre

Exp:

Really wish I could watch this one. Thanks for the updates!
Hockey-and_stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 02:33 PM   #18
OzSome
Franchise Player

Exp:

Whenever Stamps need a first down, Mitchell throws the ball to McDaniel. Nice!
Old 09-24-2016, 02:35 PM   #19
OzSome
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rob Maver, you are freaking amazing!! Coffin corner to 3 yard line.
Old 09-24-2016, 02:36 PM   #20
MissTeeks
Franchise Player

Exp:

A great punt.

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.
MissTeeks is offline   Reply With Quote