Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-31-2017, 10:32 AM   #241
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

So South American teams currently occupy three of the top four spots in the FIFA rankings, but they'll have fewer teams than Asia or Africa and the same as North and Central America....but sure, the tournament won't become worse and significantly more diluted. UEFA and CONMEBOL should just start their own combined tournament and abandon FIFA, it's would probably be way more watched than the 48 team World Cup. We'd all much rather see it I'm sure.
Old 03-31-2017, 10:36 AM   #242
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
So South American teams currently occupy three of the top four spots in the FIFA rankings, but they'll have fewer teams than Asia or Africa and the same as North and Central America....but sure, the tournament won't become worse and significantly more diluted. UEFA and CONMEBOL should just start their own combined tournament and abandon FIFA, it's would probably be way more watched than the 48 team World Cup. We'd all much rather see it I'm sure.

We've had that. It's Called World Cup before 1982 for $100 Alex. CONMEBOL were and would again be totally screwed in such a tournament just by sheer numbers. And/or the tournament would become very violent.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 10:40 AM   #243
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

The violence would only add to the intrigue. But the 48 team World Cup is pretty much a handout to Africa and Asia which is pretty much what everyone figured it was when it was announced. Hooray for more negative football I guess.
Old 03-31-2017, 10:55 AM   #244
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

meh

nobody plays more negative football than Switzerland and Ukraine. I still want those 2 hours back.

I treat a 48 team world cup like extended qualifying. The 32 team bracket will be where it's at!

Old 03-31-2017, 02:24 PM   #245
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Yeah I don't really get the outrage. Just don't watch the early games that don't interest you?

Makes it more worthwhile for the hosts and Fifa (if they don't have to increase the number of venues).
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 08:38 PM   #246
Magnum PEI
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
I think UEFA is getting screwed more. It should have 25 spots. Comnebol only has 10 teams and Venezuela is traditionally more of a baseball country while Peru and Bolivia typically arent very good. I think it should have seven spots plus a playoff.

I probably wont watch much of a 48 team World Cup, I find the sport increasingly corrupt and "eurotrash" for lack of a better word. I think this will spell the end of my soccer fandom.
Magnum PEI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 09:02 AM   #247
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone who was watching the revamped Euros knows exactly how badly this is going to water-down the tournament.

Even at its current 30-team level its a bit watered down and you typically have the usual suspects along with the occasional surprise, at 48 this is going to be a snoozer.

You're going to get teams 'pulling a Portugal' and just parking the bus for entire group stages, its going to be brutal.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 11:08 AM   #248
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

I dont get the complaints about this, it adds extra excitement for countries who never would have the opportunity, and it makes the tournament longer. If there's a game you dont want to watch, no one is forcing you
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 12:08 PM   #249
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by diane_phaneuf View Post
I dont get the complaints about this, it adds extra excitement for countries who never would have the opportunity, and it makes the tournament longer. If there's a game you dont want to watch, no one is forcing you
Because its largely going to turn the World Cup into Women's Hockey and we're either going to see minnows getting absolutely slaughtered which is boring or we're going to see more parked buses than...the Calgary Transit yard after midnight.

Which is also boring.

Do you really want to see England vs Papua New Guinea?

I mean, granted, England would probably still lose, but if you add teams then you add games and you dilute the quality of frankly, an already fairly diluted tournament.

And you dont have to do anything other than point to the expanded Euros to see the proof.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 01:43 PM   #250
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

but the expanded euros has happened only once. Do you think the 6th installment of the expanded euros will lead to England not even qualifying?

As I mention in many threads. There needs to be a carrot. Papua New Guinea may never qualify for a World Cup but with 1 Oceania spot that's the carrot to try. and maybe one day they may not qualify but they can produce a star chasing that carrot.

Old 04-04-2017, 01:43 PM   #251
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

I liked the Euro's

If I didnt want to watch England play a team I wouldnt watch, I could then start watching once it got down to 32 teams or 16 or whatever

its not taking away those games

its basically just adding 2 weeks to the beginning of the tournament, if you only want to start watching once it gets down to the QF or R16 etc. that can still happen
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 09:47 AM   #252
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

World U20s started today, on TSN in the middle of the night.
England vs Argentina at 11am today (tape delayed)

have you ever heard of Vanuatu!?

Old 05-20-2017, 09:55 AM   #253
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

England lost the U17 Euro final against Spain yesterday because of a late goalkeeper howler and a disappointing penalty shootout.

Good to see that Englands youth stay true to what has defined the senior team for decades.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2017, 11:23 PM   #254
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Croatia is playing Mexico in LA in September, a friendly. Question for those who may know better, is that worth the flight and ticket and hotel? I want to see a Croatian international game so bad, and my next real chance will be Euro 2020 (No way I'm flying to Russia for the World Cup). Thoughts?

edit: Apparently it's next on the 27th which makes it impossible for me to go.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 03:54 AM   #255
nemanja2306
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resurrection View Post
Croatia is playing Mexico in LA in September, a friendly. Question for those who may know better, is that worth the flight and ticket and hotel? I want to see a Croatian international game so bad, and my next real chance will be Euro 2020 (No way I'm flying to Russia for the World Cup). Thoughts?

edit: Apparently it's next on the 27th which makes it impossible for me to go.
If you can afford it and have the time, you should go to the World Cup

It is really a unique experience and Russia is a beautiful country.
nemanja2306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 10:22 AM   #256
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemanja2306 View Post
If you can afford it and have the time, you should go to the World Cup

It is really a unique experience and Russia is a beautiful country.
Way too long a flight.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 10:47 AM   #257
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

England...

Old 06-12-2017, 12:36 PM   #258
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Iran have become the 2nd team to qualify for World Cup 2018 (after Brazil)

Old 06-12-2017, 03:06 PM   #259
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

England won the U20 WC yesterday by the way. 1-0 final win over Venezuela after a goal by Dominic Calvert-Lewin (Everton); goalkeeper Freddie Woodman (Newcastle) saved a penalty in the 2nd half. Englands first WC title at any level since 66.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 06:57 AM   #260
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not the best start for the Socceroos in their friendly vs Brazil.

Brazil won 4-0.