Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-2017, 12:06 AM   #1
Bingo
Owner

Exp:
Default Ducks 3 Flames 1

Game Takes:
http://www.calgarypuck.com/2017/04/g...-3-flames-1-3/

Guessing Elliott is done in Calgary

Loved the push back

Loved the Versteeg interview after the game

Well I think I missed two in the regular season, but that's a wrap on 84 games stories. Have never written an entire season on my own. Thanks for reading!
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 12:18 AM   #2
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks for doing such a great job all season Bingo.

Mostly agree with your review of the game, although your omission of commentary on the poor play of Gaudreau throughout the playoffs, including tonight, struck me as odd.
timbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 12:21 AM   #3
Flamescuprun2018
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Outstanding work Bingo!

Much appreciated!

Out of interest, what was the final tally on scoring chances for the two teams in the series?

I think we outchanced them which speaks volumes to our progress. The sweep might be the headline on the series but we all know the real story.

Elliott is definitely done in Calgary. Johnson not so sure. I really liked his poise tonite. He certainly does not rattle easily at least.
Flamescuprun2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 12:30 AM   #4
bigrangy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks for doing this all season Bingo.

The Flames lost this game and got swept in this series because they got piss poor goaltending.

However, the Flames would have lost anyways because they couldn't generate a damn thing at 5v5.

Hopefully those in charge can take the right lessons out of this and deliver a better team next year!
Old 04-20-2017, 12:32 AM   #5
Savvy27
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Thanks for the writing the game takes all season Bingo. Great job. I read them after pretty much every game and they are on par with any post game breakdown in the media.

Agree about Elliott. Really think that he proved over the course of this year that he is not the answer and I truly hope they have higher aspirations than what he brings.

Such a disappointing way to end a weird season. Excited about the core though and can't wait to see what the 2017-18 version of the Flames looks like.
Savvy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Savvy27 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2017, 04:46 AM   #6
icarus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thank you Bingo! I know it's a slog but I've always loved reading your game stories.
Old 04-20-2017, 05:08 AM   #7
Francis's Hairpiece
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Thanks for your time and effort. It's appreciated.
Old 04-20-2017, 05:53 AM   #8
josef
First Line Centre

Exp:

thanx darcy for your effort - the game takes are always a voice of reason, even after the worst/best/heated/whatever games...really appreciate it!
The Following User Says Thank You to josef For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2017, 06:39 AM   #9
fastpuck
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I don't always log in and rarely post, but I read Calgarypuck daily and the best part of that is your game write ups- even when I watch the game. Thanks Darcy for both the write-ups and the site. Love it.
fastpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fastpuck For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2017, 07:44 AM   #10
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbit View Post
Thanks for doing such a great job all season Bingo.

Mostly agree with your review of the game, although your omission of commentary on the poor play of Gaudreau throughout the playoffs, including tonight, struck me as odd.
That was an omission, you're right, but not intended. You make mental notes of things you want to add, and sometimes you're inner skull filing system lets you down.

He tried hard for sure, but that's about it. Too many unforced turnovers, forcing passes that aren't there, not shooting when he has the opportunity.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2017, 08:05 AM   #11
gunnner
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I wonder if Johnny was still feeling the wrist whacks or his shot was rusty, but he didnt look the same when he was trying to shoot. Either the way, opponents were playing him to pass and taking away lanes. Needs that threat back. I think he rebounds next year.
gunnner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 08:16 AM   #12
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

echo...great write ups all year Bingo..thanks for taking the time to do it.
Cheese is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cheese For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2017, 08:28 AM   #13
Mathalete
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Thank you so much for all your wonderful write ups. Appreciate each and every one of them
Mathalete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 08:34 AM   #14
howard_the_duck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
That was an omission, you're right, but not intended. You make mental notes of things you want to add, and sometimes you're inner skull filing system lets you down.

He tried hard for sure, but that's about it. Too many unforced turnovers, forcing passes that aren't there, not shooting when he has the opportunity.
+ looking scared, IMO.

I'm starting to get concerned that the stick work is taking its toll on his game. He's more apprehensive and plays on the perimeter, which completely goes against his strength as a player. His shot is simply not good enough to play a perimeter game, and the goals he does get are in transition.

I'm legitimately worried about his game when the checking gets tighter and the whistles get put away. A team reliant on his offense could be in tough
howard_the_duck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to howard_the_duck For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2017, 09:12 AM   #15
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard_the_duck View Post
+ looking scared, IMO.

I'm starting to get concerned that the stick work is taking its toll on his game. He's more apprehensive and plays on the perimeter, which completely goes against his strength as a player. His shot is simply not good enough to play a perimeter game, and the goals he does get are in transition.

I'm legitimately worried about his game when the checking gets tighter and the whistles get put away. A team reliant on his offense could be in tough
I agree on some of this ...

I don't necessarily think he's scared but he has a weak shot, knows it, and leans towards the pass anyway.

I see maturity as key as well, but not in a pouty sense. He has to learn to play within the fabric of what is given to him, and not force things that aren't there. You don't want to lose the creative wizardry angle for sure, but not every play can have him beating three guys, or button hooking at the line and finding a trailer.

He's too skilled not to figure it out though.

But get in the gym and get his wrists and arms stronger, add some zing to that shot! Maybe stop using a junior stick that's too whippy?
Old 04-20-2017, 11:08 AM   #16
Sample00
Sleazy Banker

Exp:

Can someone recap the Versteeg interview please?
This is the one guy I'd like to have back next season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sample00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 12:12 PM   #17
Shummy
Draft Pick

Hey guys, I have been reading these forums for a years now and I love it. Some great insight and great discussions. So I figured I would toss my hat in the ring now.

With the way they lost in Game 3 it was going to be really tough to win last night. They needed to score first and get a spark. The crowd was really subdued as well you could feel it and once Elliott let in another horribly weak goal it just sucked the life out of the team and the building. Letting in a really weak goal early in the game was literally the worst case scenario. In a series where each game was decided by 1 goal and bad puck luck and some very questionable calls aside you cant let in 6-7 soft goals and win a series. At some point Elliott has to give you a save or 2, just not good enough.

Troy Brouwer was completely irrelevant, he picked up right where he left off from the regular season. Incredibly disappointed with his whole season, i expected so much more from him. His contract is going to be a boat anchor for this team.

Johnny Gaudreau. I really hope we find out that he was playing with some sort of injury or something because if not, the Flames should be very concerned. He needs to be a difference maker and he was for the most part a passenger this series. 2 assists is not good enough. What really bothered me was his play with 2 and half minutes left with our net empty. He coughed up the puck on 3 different occasions and was a complete liability on the ice. I was yelling for him to get off. I really hope he takes some ownership and accountability for his play this series. I didnt see him give one post game interview this playoffs and that really bugs me, i really wanted to hear what he has to say. This is going to be a very important offseason for him I think. I really hope he comes into next season with a chip on his shoulder. He was a shell of the player we saw last year. Earn your money kid.
All in all the team fought hard and played well, not sure Ive ever seen a series where one team got so many bounces and breaks but thats hockey.
Shummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 02:11 PM   #18
CsInMyBlood
Franchise Player

Location: F*** me. We're so f***ing good, you check the f***ing standings? Lets f***ing go! F***ing practice!
Exp:

Thanks for the write ups all year Bingo, I read every single one of them and they were never "going through the motions" to get them out.

Appreciate all of your efforts!

Backlund for Selke 2017 2018
Oilers suck.
CsInMyBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 02:52 PM   #19
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am overwhelmed...

the Flames got swept by a team playing with 3 established NHL D-men and one was 35 year old Bieksa. Lindholm- Manson

Theodore Montour and Holzer would be like the Flames going with Kulak Wotherspoon and Bartkowski along with Hamilton - Engelland and Wideman

There may be problem with the Flames core players that they were not able to dominate the weak Ducks defense and force a higher level of exposure, panic and benching.

It was not like Gaudreau and the Flames best players were going up against Pronger-Niedeymeyer defensive pairing.

When the Flames had the Commodore and Montador miracle they still had Regehr-Leopold, Ferrence-Warrener all playing 25 minutes a game

Last edited by ricardodw; 04-20-2017 at 02:54 PM.
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 03:06 PM   #20
SC_Flames_Fan
Draft Pick

All teams endure adversity. Some grit their teeth, redouble their efforts and say their is no way in hades that teams is beating us tonight, overcoming adversity and becoming stronger. Other teams wilt and collapse, making excuses all the while. As a long time Flames fan (since 1972), I am disappointed in this team's mental makeup. I think they must focus on drafting players who are mentally tough.. I may be wrong but that's my opinion.
SC_Flames_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote