Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-19-2017, 12:25 PM   #81
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psytic View Post
The fact that the last 4 goalies that have come in here have been or almost have been run out of the league playing for us while having their numbers drop significantly tells me that the goalie is a small part of the problem. Team defence is more to blame. If we need a top 5 goalie just to be a first round out then there's more wrong. Teams have made it to the finals with worse goalies than Elliott. This is just masking the problem.
I would agree with this if it wasn't 2016/17 and Gultzan and his systems hadn't come in and ridiculously improved our D zone coverage and play.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 12:35 PM   #82
Mister Yamoto
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Yamoto View Post
The expansion draft would be an ideal time to go " big game hunting" for a goalie.

Do it Treliving. Get a big time goalie.

Ramo, Hiller, Johnson, Elliot are fine goalies. But history will remember them the same as Tabaracci, Wregget, Kidd and Muzzatti. It's a parade of C+ goalies.

And yeah, you give up a first for Schnieder. 100 times out of 100.
EDIT - I forgot to mention Freddie Braithwaite. The grand marshal in the parade of C+ goalies.
Mister Yamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 12:43 PM   #83
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Schneider played for the Canucks when they had the best blue line in the league and for the Devils which have always had a low team GAA. Part of the reason he struggled this season is because the Devils went from a top 10 team in shots against to a bottom 10 team in shots against. His career season in 2013-14 the Devils allowed a paltry 25.5 shots against per game and I feel this season he played in front of a team that wasn't very good defensively and got exposed. I think he's still a very good goaltender but I wouldn't expect him to come to Calgary and replicate anything near his career numbers. Not worth a first round pick when other options will be available and lets not forget he's 31 and is getting $6 million/season until 2022. Bad, bad idea.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 01:01 PM   #84
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Not a chance. Team needs to add depth and stock the cupboards elsewhere. There's plenty of good goaltenders available on the UFA market and Tyler Parsons looks to be the real deal. Kid might be ready in a couple seasons of seasoning with the Heat.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 01:45 PM   #85
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Let me put it this way: If the Oilers don't trade Hall, they aren't in the playoffs now. Trading Gaudreau for him would leave us a weaker team.
Yes but only because their defense needed a top pairing dman. Hall wasn't the problem, their defense was.

I'd take Hall over Johnny for sure.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 01:52 PM   #86
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
Elliot was unreal for the 2nd half of the season and now after one bad game we're going to make big moves to get a goalie?

A 1st liner is a far more pressing need.
A 1st liner isn't a pressing need in the slightest. We have Gaudreau and Tkachuk as 1st line wingers. We have Monahan as a 1st line centre. And we have Bennett who is likely to end up as a 1st line centre or wing

Our big needs are for a #1 goalie. And a physical top 4 dman if Stone leaves

The biggest thing we need is the continued maturation of the core
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2017, 01:57 PM   #87
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post

I'd take Hall over Johnny for sure.
Why? Everyone is talking about what a struggling season Gaudreau had but he still had more points in the same 72 games as Hall. Two years younger, locked up for five more years vs Hall's three.

Taylor Hall is a singular player that couldn't find chemistry with Connor McDavid while Gaudreau has shown great chemistry with Monahan and anyone he's lined with. Gaudreau is the better playmaker but he's also hit the 30 goal mark one in three season and while Hall hasn't in seven.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2017, 01:58 PM   #88
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

That's simply not true but okay.

Bennett hasn't even looked like a top 6 player, let alone 1st line potential. Monahan and Gaudreau are unlikely to take any huge strides where they can mask the hole on the 1st line and if you move Tkachuk to the first line you create a hole on the second.

This team needs a top flight winger. Plain and simple. Sign Stone, Sign Elliot, Go big game hunting for a top winger.

(This Taylor Hall for Gaudreau talk has to stop)

Last edited by polak; 04-19-2017 at 02:04 PM.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 02:05 PM   #89
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Bennett has certainly looked like a top six player in stretches. He looks like one currently this post season, he's been dynamite.

A team, any team, needs a bonefide number one goalie much more then a winger. Full stop. The wing is the last position of importance. Brian Elliott is a decent goalie but not a full fledged number one. No one is disagreeing there are holes in the line up but in a cap world if you have a hole have it on the wing.

Gaudreau - Monahan - xxx
Tkachuk - Bennett - xxx
xxx - Backlund - Forlik
That's 2/3 of three very good lines. Gaudreau and Monahan are both capable of 30 goals and 70+ points. Gaudreau had 78 last season, wouldn't surprise anyone to see him hit 85. What that line needs is a genuine 20/20 guy. Another star winger would be amazing but it's not nearly as needed as a true one goalie. Not even close.

Goalie, blueline, center, those are the core, the wing is the support.
Quote:
Go big game hunting for a top winger.
It's like you have no idea a salary cap exists.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2017, 02:07 PM   #90
Psytic
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlpineOracle View Post
Do you even watch the goals he and Hiller are letting in? These are not because of the team (granted there has been some defence in that time). They are flat out whiffs, lack of rebound control, and a complete lack of ability to follow the puck and stay focused.

All these goalies that Calgary have been going through NEVER get picked up by another team, and usually find themselves out of the league. That's a pretty telling fact.
I just agree with what Polak said basically. The gap between Elliott and whats out there right now won't make as big a difference as improving the forward core. We should be able to get by with a league average goaltender. If not, then its obvious we are just covering up for other weaknesses on the team. Bishop/ Schneider aren't going to take this team to the next level imo.
Psytic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Psytic For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2017, 02:08 PM   #91
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Why? Everyone is talking about what a struggling season Gaudreau had but he still had more points in the same 72 games as Hall. Two years younger, locked up for five more years vs Hall's three.

Taylor Hall is a singular player that couldn't find chemistry with Connor McDavid while Gaudreau has shown great chemistry with Monahan and anyone he's lined with. Gaudreau is the better playmaker but he's also hit the 30 goal mark one in three season and while Hall hasn't in seven.
FDW loves size over skill. Not hard to figure out that he would prefer Hall even though Gaudreau has proven to be a more impactful player.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 02:08 PM   #92
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlpineOracle View Post
I don't. I'm tired of rolling the dice on goaltenders. I want a proven commodity. Anything less, and Treliving should be shown the door.

Overreaction..?

Treliving was in on Jones, Talbot, and Murray. If he can land an unproven guy that works out like they did I would ecstatic. I trust him to handle this situation appropriately.
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 02:12 PM   #93
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Agree to disagree cause in my opinion, the Goalie you're going to get to replace Elliot with is probably going to have less of an impact than a Big top scoring winger would. That's the kicker to me. I don't disagree that wingers are the least important position but you're not likely going to replace Elliot with a Vezina quality goaltender cause who would give up a Vezina quality goaltender? You're far more like to be able to land a 60 point guy to play up front.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 02:36 PM   #94
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Polak, we squeaked into the post season on the back of a pair of unsustainable bursts of play, one by Johnson, one by Elliott. But the reality is that we need more than one super-elite month and six bottom feeder months out of our goaltenders. Our goaltenders have been a far bigger mess than our top line has, even accounting for the fact that Gulutzan stupidly left Chaisson on the top line for 60% of the season.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2017, 02:37 PM   #95
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
Agree to disagree cause in my opinion, the Goalie you're going to get to replace Elliot with is probably going to have less of an impact than a Big top scoring winger would. That's the kicker to me. I don't disagree that wingers are the least important position but you're not likely going to replace Elliot with a Vezina quality goaltender cause who would give up a Vezina quality goaltender? You're far more like to be able to land a 60 point guy to play up front.
You do realize that Brian Elliott has cost us 2 games of this series single-handedly right? This team is winning this series 2-1 if Elliott can go a single game without letting in some soft piece of #### goal. A piece of plywood would have more of an impact on the 2017 playoffs than Elliott has. If the Flames received any sort of average goaltending at all, we'd all be at the dome right now partying at the tail gate instead of looking into next year.

That's without consideration that he also likely cost us 10 games the first two months of the season which would have avoided us having to play Anaheim in the first place.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TheAlpineOracle For This Useful Post: