Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Leagues and Games > Calgarypuck Hockey League
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2017, 09:34 AM   #1
MJK
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Another Day, Another Blockbuster Trade

Long time GM's Doug and MJK got together and made a deal yesterday that saw some big names change teams.

To SJ:
Shea Weber
Karl Alzner

To Carolina:
Erik Karlsson
Luca Sbisa

"We weren't planning to move Karlsson but we have really struggled to find someone to play with him all year. He's played with at least half a dozen different D throughout the season. While he is putting up good numbers, he has been a consistent minus (-) player. As our top guy, this just didn't sit well. So we saw Doug's trade block, thought about it for a couple of days and then sent the offer over."

There was no back and forth, the offer was accepted.

A lesson that I learned a long time ago is that you need to come at Doug with fair offers otherwise you will get an essay on why you suck and why the trade is not fair. Resistance is futile. So what did I do, I actually started taking my time to put deals together that I think make sense for both clubs as opposed to what's just good for me. That's just good business.

Weber and Karlsson are both rated 83OV, but Weber should be able Carey Price clear the front of the net and his numbers suggest that although he doesnt put up as many points, he is the better shutdown D, which we werre looking to acquire. But that 1 for 1 was not something we were willing to do because of the RFA vs UFA status. So we needed an upgrade in another area and figured: "If I struggled all year to find a good partner for Karlsson, why not get an upgrade on D and someone that can be inserted immediatly into the lineup and play with Weber. That is where the Alzner for Sbisa swap came in.

Alzner is 76OV while Sbisa is 69OV, however both players are putting up similar numbers in the NHL so while we think Alzner rating will stay about the same, we expect Sbisa to go up. But he is a dirty Canuck and really the only option I was comfortable sending in this deal.

So that's how it shakes out and I think it's something that both teams were looking to do and a deal that makes sense.

Thanks Doug for the trade, always a please Sir.
MJK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MJK For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2017, 10:14 AM   #2
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Quote:
A lesson that I learned a long time ago is that you need to come at Doug with fair offers otherwise you will get an essay on why you suck and why the trade is not fair.
Ha! True story. I got my lesson earlier this year.

As far as the trade, I like it for SJ if only for the fact that he really wanted a high DF dman and he certainly gets that in Weber. For me, and it may be my Hitmen bias, Alzner >> Sbisa. That swings it to SJ. Still, Karlsson is a high price to pay in any deal.

Nice trade. love it when big names move around.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 10:18 AM   #3
JonDuke
Franchise Player

Exp:

When I saw Doug post in the trade thread, I expected Goffie to swoop in and nab Weber.

I like the trade, though. Slightly better for SJ because Alzner>Sbisa, but still a great deal for both teams.
JonDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 02:25 PM   #4
3thirty
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Seems fair, Sj gets the short term win, good deal guys.
3thirty is offline   Reply With Quote