Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-24-2017, 10:37 AM   #1
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:
Default Goalie questions or debate

Maybe this is in another thread. But it wasn't that long ago that Elliot was the goat and Johnson was the hero, but its reversed and Elliot looks to be rebounding in a strong way over the last 10 or 15 starts.

So the rumor is that the Flames are looking for another goalie, but at the same time is bringing in another goalie even something that should be on the table or should we just ride the moose.

A month back even, it was kind of a consensus that Elliot would not be someone that the board would want to resign. But given his play is there an opportunity to resign him? Can we resign him for cheaper then we would pay to try to attract a Bishop or other goalie and use that extra cap space elsewhere.

Are you in favor of Treliving trading Elliot, or bringing in maybe a backup goalie?

At the end of the year do you make an effort to resign one or both goalies?

With three games left to the trade deadline, are you comfortable with the current duo?

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 10:42 AM   #2
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am on board with Elliott. I do want to see how Johnson responds tonight. I think he has had a number of recent showings where he is struggling (although he redeemed himself with the win against Pitt). Those 3 goals so early against the Oilers is still fresh in my mind. Probably 90% comfortable with the duo.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 10:47 AM   #3
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think it'll depend on how the rest of the season shakes out. If Moose really steps up and gets the team to the playoffs, he'll be resigned.

If BT has plans of getting a Bishop or a true #1 I don't see Elliot coming back to play 1A/1B again. Isn't that why he wanted out of STL?

I'm comfortable with the current duo, I'd like to see Siglatte go though after the season.
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 10:47 AM   #4
shniper
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I think the team/Elliott are playing with a lot of confidence right now, and I think they should ride out the goalie situation for the remainder of the year. I wouldn't mind seeing the same tandem next year if neither goalie take a nosedive in the final stretch of this season.
shniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 10:48 AM   #5
Gaudfather
Franchise Player

Exp:

Elliott is heating up at the right time. I would bet that Treliving would be willing to ride Elliott and his stretch run experience, than overpay for a short term goalie rental.

I would think the Flames are more focussed on finding the right addition to the top six. Pinder was trying to make a case for Eaves from Dallas on his show this morning.
Gaudfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 10:51 AM   #6
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Elliott seems to be getting hot right now, but at the same time - he did this in December as well for a stretch of 5 games, and then completely fell apart again. If the team is serious about doing some damage in the playoffs/down the stretch, finding a long-term solution may not be the worst thing.

Right now, neither Elliott nor Johnson have done enough to warrant being brought back next year.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 11:03 AM   #7
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's a big game for Johnson, he does well and he makes it a debate again. Right now it's Elliott's net to lose and even with a Johnson shutout it still is.
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 11:10 AM   #8
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like the idea of the Flames checking the market to see what is available for goal-tending (rumor) and the asking price.....

Not sure Elliott will want to re-sign with the Flames in the off season.

I expect the Flames will continue to play both goalies right till the end of the season.

In the off-season, i would guess a new goalie will be signed and or traded for.
flambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 11:14 AM   #9
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the Flames should be in the market for a new goaltender but not the vets like Fleury and Bishop and more that younger goaltenders like Mrazek, Pickard, Kuemper, etc. If they can't find a guy like that then I would be okay with rolling the dice next season with the Elliott and Johnson providing they are willing to sign short term deals.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 11:18 AM   #10
greyshep
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I want so bad for Elliott to take the reigns and run, but it seems like he is missing that elite element that will allow him to dominate games. We see glimpses but thats about it so far.

I figure they should let it ride for the rest of the year and make a decision during free agency.
greyshep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 11:32 AM   #11
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

In a perfect world:

Keep Elliott
Trade Johnson
Trade for one of Grubauer, Darling, Saros, Lehner, Mrazek
Ride that tandem through next year.

They'd all have different acquisition costs, but getting younger while having the insurance of a guy like Elliott in a 1A/1B scenario is ideal. Would Elliott want that again? Hard to say, but unless he goes on an insane run to end the season I don't see him having another option.

What I don't want is a super expensive guy who might not even be that great or is getting too old. No to Bishop, MAF, Howard, Miller, Smith, etc.

We still need to focus on finding a diamond in the rough, not shelling out over 5M for a "sure thing."
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 11:38 AM   #12
CSharp
Franchise Player

Exp:

As long as the Flames doesn't give up easy shots, the current goalies are fine and you can probably interchange between Elliot and Johnson. Yeah, a bad goal happens. Every goalie in this league this season lets in bad goals. Look at Carey Price right now. The Habs were great off the start to the season, but they kind of look like the Flames at times when they're floundering and going nowhere. I don't think the Habs would be complaining about their goalie any time soon. Too much focus on the goaltending role is moot IMHO.
CSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 11:59 AM   #13
sketchyt
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Elliott is a good goaltender and I think they could re-sign him for what Hiller got: 4.5/year for 2 years.

One thing that is purely speculation from my part is that having a child has messed with his game. Some of you may roll your eyes at that but having kids drives people differently. Combine that with a different defensive system to him and the team... and you'll have an all-star goaltender do a nosedive.

You'd obviously have to partner him up with a 1B-type though.
sketchyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 12:13 PM   #14
Rollin22x
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Elliott has shown flashes he can be our number 1. I think bringing in a third goalie this late in the season could disrupt any chemistry built up so far. I believe he can elevate his game for playoffs as well.
Some people have mentioned there will be a lot more options for goaltenders in the summer so why rush.
Rollin22x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 12:16 PM   #15
hockey.modern
First Line Centre

Exp:

Didn't Elliott have a slow season and stepped up big time during the second half of the season with STL last year? Starting to see the same thing this year.
Old 02-24-2017, 12:23 PM   #16
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Elliott's been okay recently but there are going to be lots of goaltending options going into expansion and free agency. Keep in mind, that if the Flames re-sign Elliott, they give up a pick.
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 12:25 PM   #17
Flame19,289
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

If it were any other year, I think Treliving might be inclined to ride out the year with the existing duo and then address the 2017-18 goaltending situation in the offseason.

But given that Las Vegas is required to pick 3 goaltenders in the expansion draft, there's bound to be some good value in the goaltender market at the trade deadline. If Treliving can find a quality goaltender at a reasonable acquisition cost who can carry the mail for the next few seasons, then the Flames should absolutely make that deal.

But I hope that addressing the 1st line RW situation is on the front burner.
Flame19,289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 12:30 PM   #18
madmike
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'm fine with Elliott at this point. There won't be anyone significantly better available until the offseason.
madmike is offline   Reply With Quote