Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-30-2016, 08:07 AM   #141
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

First thing is first. Stop the dinky little 4 yard passes all the time, take shots downfield. Look what happened with Wilson. There were times when Bo didn't even let his guys run their route and he threw or tried throwing the ball to his back leaking out.

Bo as I said above, you have the arm, start using it. Int wasn't his fault, looks like Parker gave up on his route.

Messam needs more carries, too bad they were trailing but he was running hard and gaining yardage. Let's run more vs riders next week.

Wilson, great speed. Let's use him more. Bakari get rid of that baggy shirt underneath and make some plays.

Parker keeps getting the playing time but not sure how long it's going to last. He's getting yardage but he's also getting a lot of balls from Bo. Couple of drops again.

Durant needs to play more. Simply the guy can be top Canadian receiver. He gets YAC with million guys around him, imagine if he had 1 or 2 guys to beat.

OL - struggled especially Williams on the right side. Bo also made couple of awful decisions to dance around in the back that tallied up the sacks but overall he was being pressured. Hopefully they pick it up next week.

DL - Missed couple of sacks. Davis looks good. Run D was stout. Pass rush was awful. Hughes seems to be slowing down. Might get the Fred Bennett treatment when Beltre comes back.

LB - Mayo looks good. Not impressed by Reed again. I think Singleton can be equally effective if not better and he's a ratio breaker. Burnett couple of nice plays. LBs need to step up their game.

HB - Struggled mightily against Arceneaux and Burnham. Smith is another where father time maybe be catching up to him. Wall needs to step as well.

CB - Both played well in Evans and Campbell. They held on their coverage, made tackled and 2 key interceptions. Keep it up.

S - Never been a Bell fan and he continues to be terrible. The deploy an American safety anyways, I don't get why we don't try some of the other PR guys there to see if they can be better.

Parades was money on FGs. The point after is all in his head right now, he needs to make a few in a row and he'll be fine.

Maver was good, missed couple punts to pin them deep but he was close. Can't be perfect.

Finch, the man will break couple soon. He's electric. Put the team in great field position almost every time. Finally have a decent kick returner.
Da_Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Da_Chief For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2016, 08:25 AM   #142
socalwingfan
Retired

Exp:

Not going to lie - i had a ####ty stream last night and turned it off with 3 minutes left. Didn't know the Stamps won until I woke up this AM. Awesome comeback - at least I have the highlights to watch
socalwingfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 01:53 PM   #143
nixon45
First Line Centre

Exp:

Was at the game last night sitting about 12 rows up from the Lion's bench. They were all shaking hands and celebrating like they won with about 5 minutes left.

My row was almost completely empty during the comeback and OT. Happy I stayed.
nixon45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 03:02 PM   #144
OzSome
Franchise Player

Exp:

It was a good character win for the Stampeders against the BC Lions but not sure they should get used to this type of game. I am glad they won the game and was very pumped up when Evans got that INT in the 4th quarter and even more pumped up when Tommy Campbell won it for us on an end zone INT.

OFFENSE:
I think the only knock on the offense is the OLine protection. There are way too many times that Bo Levi Mitchell was running for his lives and hurried his pass. Overall I thought Mitchell was pretty good all night. R Greg Wilson showed he belongs in the CFL. I think he can potentially be our Chris Williams if he gets the ball more. R Bakari Grant on the other hand looks kind of lost at times but looks good at times. They were at least 2 plays that I can think of that he blew it. On both plays he wasn't watching where the ball is going and was too late to react. Would love to see Greg Wilson get more plays and less of Grant. Stamps offense scored 44 points so you cannot really complain about that.

DEFENSE:
I really think Devon Claybrook need to learn a lot more in calling plays. I thought with his background as a DLineman, he would be more into sending his DLinemen go after the QB. There were hardly any pressure on Jennings all night. Not sure if the Lions' OLine were doing a great job stopping the Stamps' DLine and LB into pressuring Jennings or just the Stamps are not sending someone to go after Jennings. Teams cannot allow Jennings lots of time to pick his receivers as he can burn you with his arm. Makes you wonder why the DBs struggled all night against Burnham, Arceneaux and others. Look what happened when they started pressuring late in the 4th quarter, Jennings started making bad mistakes and ended up throwing 2 INT that cost BC the win. Run defense was good all night and I thought Reed was not bad but he could be better. I guess we got used to see Juwan Simpson very visible every game with his plays and barking at the opponents. Reed is the total opposite. I agree with the Da' Chief that I hope we should see Alex Singleton more.

SPECIAL TEAM:
I am really liking Roy Finch more and more every game. I really feel he will bring the ball all the way. It's been a long since we have a good returner that we can count on every game. Larry Taylor was good before he got hit hard on one play. After that he seems to be afraid all the time. One of the positive thing for the special team this season is the amount of illegal block or holding penlty whenever Finch is returning kick or punt. We are getting less this season. K Rene Paredes on the hand has been good with the Field Goal attempt, he is almost perfect all season but the problem is the point after TD. I have to think this mental. The past few seasons, convert been automatic so when Paredes started missing some convert he started thinking about the miss a lot.
OzSome is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OzSome For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2016, 09:06 AM   #145
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

Poor baby. Karma is a bitch.

Quote:
“The centre (Pierre Lavertu) just kept pushing me while the running back and guard were on my ankle,” Brooks said. “It was like the dirtiest play I’ve ever seen, man. I would hope the league would go back and look at it, and either fine him or suspend him (Lavertu).
http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/f...429/story.html

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Drake For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2016, 09:24 AM   #146
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

This coming from the same guy who hits QBs low and employs leg whips. Yeah, no sympathy for Brooks from me.
dash_pinched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 12:44 PM   #147
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

As a fan base we're very fickle, and I'm actually glad that the theme of the Stamps players being interviewed after the game was a not so subtle "This TEAM is really tight and believes in each other and the fans that stayed til the end were loud and we appreciate it, but most didn't stick around, they counted us out."

It wasn't just BLM, it was a few players and they made a point of saying the empty stadium was noticed and not appreciated. Which is great, imo, I wish more teams would do that. It's like a mini version of the league wide shame that Miami Heat fans took for being fairweather when they all left that playoff game early and then tried to get back in only to be rejected when the team came back.

Maybe next time, those 16k or so fans will think twice and stick it out with the team they cheer for. That empty stadium for one of the most exciting and incredible comebacks in CFL history was an absolute embarrassment and a huge stain on an otherwise amazing game, to the point where the players couldn't even help but making a deal out of it despite celebrating a historical comeback.

Last edited by jayswin; 08-01-2016 at 12:46 PM.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 02:41 PM   #148
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post

Maybe next time, those 16k or so fans will think twice and stick it out with the team they cheer for. That empty stadium for one of the most exciting and incredible comebacks in CFL history was an absolute embarrassment and a huge stain on an otherwise amazing game, to the point where the players couldn't even help but making a deal out of it despite celebrating a historical comeback.
I understand what you are saying but unless you actually bought a ticket for this game and stayed for it's entirety you really have no right to bitch about the early leavers. Most people that are complaining about the crowd probably stayed home to watch the game sitting on their couch (like me) and didn't go and support the team in person.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 11:19 PM   #149
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
I understand what you are saying but unless you actually bought a ticket for this game and stayed for it's entirety you really have no right to bitch about the early leavers. Most people that are complaining about the crowd probably stayed home to watch the game sitting on their couch (like me) and didn't go and support the team in person.
I couldn't make it to the game because of work, but I always stay til the end of every game I go to. It's an important part of being a fan for me personally.
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2016, 11:21 PM   #150
jayswin

Exp:

I wouldn't have posted what I did if I was the exact type of fan I was complaining about lol.
Old 08-02-2016, 11:29 AM   #151
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

I mean optically it doesn't look great and I don't fault Mitchell and other Stamps players for calling attention to it, but it happens quite frequently and not only at McMahon, but in every CFL stadium across this great land of ours. Games are taking too long to play this season with all these new challenge rules available to coaches, I understand wanting to get the call right, but these challenges were meant to overturn obvious errors or questionable calls, not look for the slightest bit of contact on a receiver who is on the opposite side of the field where the ball is being thrown.
dash_pinched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 04:24 PM   #152
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah I wouldn't be surprised if time was a factor in people leaving too - I don't think I've ever left a sporting event early - but I can kind of understand why people would do this in this specific scenario.

It was probably 11:10 PM and the Stamps were down 15 with 3:55 left on the clock and they were starting from their own 16 yard line.

At that I point I can see where people might want to start heading out a little early.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 07:51 AM   #153
Pizza
Poster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
I was at the game and I share Jayswin's opinion of what happened.

Its very disheartening to see half the stadium walk out with so much time left in the game (about the 4 min mark). What kinda message are the parents teaching the kids who are watching? that it's okay to give up on people when they're on the losing side of things?

Hats off to the Stamps players and coaches who found it in themselves to mount a comeback when their own people wouldnt believe in them

Definitely the best regular season game I've watched live. You couldnt have written a better sports script
Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pizza For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2016, 07:54 AM   #154
Pizza
Poster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Yeah I wouldn't be surprised if time was a factor in people leaving too - I don't think I've ever left a sporting event early - but I can kind of understand why people would do this in this specific scenario.

It was probably 11:10 PM and the Stamps were down 15 with 3:55 left on the clock and they were starting from their own 16 yard line.

At that I point I can see where people might want to start heading out a little early.
Its this kinda thinking is what makes our fan base look bad.

Cheer only when we're winning and abandon when we're about to lose. No wonder Rider fans laugh at us
Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 08:30 AM   #155
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
Its this kinda thinking is what makes our fan base look bad.

Cheer only when we're winning and abandon when we're about to lose. No wonder Rider fans laugh at us
... And we care that obnoxious, drunk rider fans laugh at us!? That's like caring what oiler fans think. Seriously though, I had my 9 year old with me and, admittedly, left around 11:15. She was yawning non stop. I felt like a boob as soon as I got to car and turned on radio. I've always said you can't leave a cfl game early but didn't practice what I preach. lesson learned.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
chedder is offline   Reply With Quote