Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-2016, 06:03 AM   #1
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Surprising Stat: Monahan is 2 points ahead of his pace from last year

For all the complaints about Sean Monahan not playing well, after 44 games a season ago he only had 27 points.

This year he's at 29 through 44 games.

He finished the season with 35 points in 37 games.

Here is the game log for his 2014-15 season.

http://www.hockey-reference.com/play.../gamelog/2015/

I was actually surprised myself that he was ahead of his pace. So I figured that I'd share.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 06:10 AM   #2
T@T
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I knew it was close, lets hope he catches the same fire as last year.
T@T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 06:15 AM   #3
Chingas
First Line Centre

Exp:

Monahan is the unassuming girl with glasses who shows up at prom and steals the show. He is the least flashy stud player in the league imo. He has admittedly been quiet through some stretches this year but he is almost always the most unnoticeable solid contributor imo.

Last edited by Chingas; 01-21-2016 at 06:20 AM. Reason: Autocorrect fail
Chingas is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Chingas For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2016, 06:17 AM   #4
expatflame
Formerly FlamesFaninChina

Exp:

The question is whether he can produce at basically a point per game clip like he did last year for the 2nd half. They had a line that really had so much chemistry last year (with Hudler) and they don't seem to have the same chemistry this year.
expatflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 06:18 AM   #5
Kidder
Franchise Player

Exp:

That was a nice finish in the Devils game. And later he had a wraparound that should have been his second if not for a magical stick by the defenseman.

If him and Gaudreau could find a consistent linemate Monahan could go on a similar run.
Old 01-21-2016, 06:20 AM   #6
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Monahan spent a lot of the first half of last year between Glencross and Jones and didn't start the year with Gaudreau like he did this season. Having said that I think he still will pull off a 50-60pt season with 25-30 goals
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2016, 06:22 AM   #7
Chingas
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatflame View Post
The question is whether he can produce at basically a point per game clip like he did last year for the 2nd half. They had a line that really had so much chemistry last year (with Hudler) and they don't seem to have the same chemistry this year.
Magically he has started to get some chances playing with Ferland, yet inexplicably Hartly pulls him off the line.
Old 01-21-2016, 06:37 AM   #8
JJ1532
First Line Centre

Exp:

He's also managed more goals at this point in the season that he did last season as well. Only had 12 after 44 games last season, but scored 19 in the final 38 to finish with 31. Hopefully he goes on another tear to end this year.
JJ1532 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 07:06 AM   #9
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Monahan spent a lot of the first half of last year between Glencross and Jones and didn't start the year with Gaudreau like he did this season. Having said that I think he still will pull off a 50-60pt season with 25-30 goals
A year later Glencross is retired and Jones is playing bottom 6th and trade deadline fodder. He's had a head start this season as he was saddled with very mediocre players for almost half a season. It's doubtful he reaches last season's totals but it would be nice for him to pick it up a bit in the 2nd half as he's had more than a few stretches off ineffectiveness.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 07:13 AM   #10
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Even strength he's been just as good if not better, but because of the sputtering power play, his stats have suffered. He had 19 PP points last year for the entire season, but he has just 6 PP points so far. I imagine his numbers would be quite a bit ahead of last year if the PP had been even average.

His possession stats are improving as well, up about 3% over last year to be just below 50% in both CF and FF. However, he's had a drastic shift in his zone starts, now over 60% in the offensive zone whereas last year he was relied on more in the defensive zone at about 52% defensive zone starts. Not sure if his defense has taken a step back, but I definitely noticed he struggled with it early in the season.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2016, 07:16 AM   #11
wingmaker
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

There's also no 70+ point Jiri Hudler playing with him this year.
Harry, I'm gonna let you in on a little secret. Every day, once a day, give yourself a present. Don't plan it, don't wait for it, just... let it happen. Could be a new shirt at the men's store, a catnap in your office chair, or... two cups of good, hot, black coffee.
wingmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 07:22 AM   #12
Hackey
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chingas View Post
Monahan is the unassuming girl with glasses who shows up at prom and steals the show. He is the least flashy stud player in the league imo. He has admittedly been quiet through some stretches this year but he is almost always the most unnoticeable solid contributor imo.
He's like Rachel Leigh Cook or Clark Kent.
Hackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 07:22 AM   #13
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
Even strength he's been just as good if not better, but because of the sputtering power play, his stats have suffered. He had 19 PP points last year for the entire season, but he has just 6 PP points so far. I imagine his numbers would be quite a bit ahead of last year if the PP had been even average.

I've posted this a few times this year and I think it's the untold story of Monny and Gaudreau's point totals. If the Flames had an average power play, they'd have like 8 more points each and everyone would be talking about what a great year he's having.
heep223 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to heep223 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2016, 07:37 AM   #14
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by heep223 View Post
I've posted this a few times this year and I think it's the untold story of Monny and Gaudreau's point totals. If the Flames had an average power play, they'd have like 8 more points each and everyone would be talking about what a great year he's having.
That's fair - but they are also both on said PP so they are part of the struggles there.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 07:40 AM   #15
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
That's fair - but they are also both on said PP so they are part of the struggles there.
When the entire team struggles and the numbers are that dismal, it's probably 95% systems and coaching. Personnel can only do so much with a broken system.
Old 01-21-2016, 07:45 AM   #16
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
When the entire team struggles and the numbers are that dismal, it's probably 95% systems and coaching. Personnel can only do so much with a broken system.
Did that change from last year?
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 07:52 AM   #17
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't know if the system has changed and I think that's a bad thing. Hartley has just seemed to play the same kind of game and not really adapt like other teams have. Last year I think the system worked because other teams didn't know what to expect or how to play against the Flames. This year it seems like the book is out on them and teams are shutting them down. So no, I don't think the system has changed but I think it should have, even if it's just to modify things. It hasn't and the team is struggling.
Old 01-21-2016, 08:10 AM   #18
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quietly scoring his way to another, intensely boring 60 pt season.

Par for the course
Old 01-21-2016, 08:14 AM   #19
saillias
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingmaker View Post
There's also no 70+ point Jiri Hudler playing with him this year.
Or 56 point Wideman who has regressed to mediocrity or Norris caliber Gio who has stabilized as a solid #2 but nowhere near last year's form.
saillias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 08:22 AM   #20
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by saillias View Post
Or 56 point Wideman who has regressed to mediocrity or Norris caliber Gio who has stabilized as a solid #2 but nowhere near last year's form.
lol, I would kill for some mediocrity from Wideman about now. He's been awful this year...truly terrible.