Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-13-2013, 12:29 AM   #21
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Yes, that was my opinion, on who *I* would like to keep in such a situation. I really don't like being instantly hounded for wanting to keep the pieces that we NEED a centerman FOR in the first place, to remain with the Flames.

Like, wow.... Create a new hole to fill the old one? Savvy thinking folks.

I don't care how you think Dallas' management would respond hypothetically. Those are pieces we simply can't trade. Doesn't mean we couldn't try.

Mind you, the likes of Cammalleri, Glencross, (on second thought i add) Wideman, Hudler, Backlund, Bouw, Brodie, Granlund, Smith, our plethora of great goalie prospects, and picks WOULD be on the table, for some sort of package.

I suppose none of them have any value to other teams, from an outside perspective. Huh?
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:30 AM   #22
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Benn maybe available. I would love to have this guy on my team but not at the expense of Sven. Heck, anyone else would do.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:40 AM   #23
Mean Mr. Mustard
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Yes, that was my opinion, on who *I* would like to keep in such a situation. I really don't like being instantly hounded for wanting to keep the pieces that we NEED a centerman FOR in the first place, to remain with the Flames.

I don't care how you think Dallas' management would respond hypothetically. Those are pieces we simply can't trade. Doesn't mean we couldn't try.

Mind you, the likes of Cammalleri, Glencross, (on second thought i add) Wideman, Hudler, Backlund, Bouw, Brodie, Granlund, Smith, our plethora of great goalie prospects, and picks WOULD be on the table, for some sort of package.

I suppose none of them have any value to other teams, from an outside perspective. Huh?
Plethora of great goalie prospects? Did I miss someone? Most of the players you mentioned would be of little interest to most NHL teams or can't be traded (Glencross, Wideman) or who just frankly won't get you much in a package (Backlund, Granlund, Smith and maybe even Cammalleri given his age, salary and the past three years)... Also I have never heard of a team signing an unrestricted free agent and then trading him to a team before they have played a game for the team.
Mean Mr. Mustard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:47 AM   #24
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Mr. Mustard View Post
Plethora of great goalie prospects? Did I miss someone? Most of the players you mentioned would be of little interest to most NHL teams or can't be traded (Glencross, Wideman) or who just frankly won't get you much in a package (Backlund, Granlund, Smith and maybe even Cammalleri given his age, salary and the past three years)... Also I have never heard of a team signing an unrestricted free agent and then trading him to a team before they have played a game for the team.
And you know just exactly what other NHL teams' managements think and want eh? You must be chatting it up with GMs around the league on a daily basis, then.

Every team has different needs. And I am positive there are teams that view some of our players in a different light than we do, in accordance to filling those needs.

Also, yes. We have a pretty decent pool of goalie prospects. We are doing quite well in that department I'd say, compared to others.
Old 01-13-2013, 12:48 AM   #25
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

I love Yahoo Fantasy hockey too. I get this kind of trade offer logic all the time. Offer 2 or 3 average guys for 1 outstanding guy and don't worry about roster sizes that don't automatically expand to accomodate the extra bodies.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:52 AM   #26
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
And you know just exactly what other NHL teams' managements think and want eh? You must be chatting it up with GMs around the league on a daily basis, then.

Every team has different needs. And I am positive there are teams that view some of our players in a different light than we do, in accordance to filling those needs.

Also, yes. We have a pretty decent pool of goalie prospects. We are doing quite well in that department I'd say, compared to others.
Unfortunately, every team pretty much has what we have in the goalie department. There is nothing in the Flames futures pool that is above average apart from Sven.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:52 AM   #27
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
I love Yahoo Fantasy hockey too. I get this kind of trade offer logic all the time. Offer 2 or 3 average guys for 1 outstanding guy and don't worry about roster sizes that don't automatically expand to accomodate the extra bodies.
Didn't even make a trade proposal, but alright.

Leafs fans are the worst for that, imo..
Old 01-13-2013, 12:55 AM   #28
$ven27
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

Are you on crack?
$ven27 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to $ven27 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2013, 12:59 AM   #29
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Another hate filled Eklund thread? This I gotta see!
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 01:05 AM   #30
Captain_Obvious
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

I'm not really sure why you're so defensive.

You suggested if Benn was available, you'd like to see us try to get him but without giving up our best forward, best defensman or our two best prospects

(none of who are individually as valuable as Benn right now)

Your sentiment was understandable. I'd like to have Benn without giving up anything significant also.

But that was a completely unrealistic notion, so it's no wonder you had a lineup of people pointing it out.
Captain_Obvious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 01:17 AM   #31
evman150
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterJoji View Post
I read an article about Benn and how he is very introverted and hates the spotlight. Dallas is the perfect place for him. He's not going anywhere.
Maybe it's cause I pretty much only see him when he's ****faced, but JB never struck me as "very introverted".
"For thousands of years humans were oppressed - as some of us still are - by the notion that the universe is a marionette whose strings are pulled by a god or gods, unseen and inscrutable." - Carl Sagan
Freedom consonant with responsibility.

evman150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 01:19 AM   #32
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Obvious View Post
I'm not really sure why you're so defensive.

You suggested if Benn was available, you'd like to see us try to get him but without giving up our best forward, best defensman or our two best prospects

(none of who are individually as valuable as Benn right now)

Your sentiment was understandable. I'd like to have Benn without giving up anything significant also.

But that was a completely unrealistic notion, so it's no wonder you had a lineup of people pointing it out.
Lol being an Eklund related thread, I didn't exactly throw that idea out with all the thought in the world, knowing that realistically, no one but Dallas is going to get this guy. But I guess it can't just go unnoticed... Just casual thinking out loud. No one here wants to part with Sven. And after seeing what JHockey can do over the past couple seasons, I think we should hang on to him too. As I think this team needs a couple successful prospects coming out of our own system for the sake of the organization and beginning to develop some top guys internally..get that track record going. It's something this team needs under its belt, to say "yeah, we did that. we brought that guy up." Tis why.
Old 01-13-2013, 02:52 AM   #33
MisterJoji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by evman150 View Post
Maybe it's cause I pretty much only see him when he's ****faced, but JB never struck me as "very introverted".
The article was mainly an interview and he was talking about last years allstar game and how the media scrum was his biggest nightmare and he loves the fact that he can walk the streets of Dallas and no one has any idea who he is.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:52 AM   #34
Mean Mr. Mustard
Franchise Player

Exp:

d
Quote:

I have seen the players you are talking about play and truthfully, players like Smith, Backlund and Granlund are not rare commodities.

Right now Backlund is worth more to the Flames than anyone else - because there aren't any teams in the league who will give up much in the way of anything for an oft injured player who score 11 points last season.

When it comes to prospects, it is a similar story the Flames have a decent pool of prospects (I wouldn't call goaltending to be a strength though) but every team - well at least every teams fanbase seems to be enamoured with potential.

The fact is that a player like Jamie Benn is one of the best young players in the league, you can't reasonably expect to throw a lot of middling prospects and players towards him and expect a trade to be made.
Mean Mr. Mustard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:10 AM   #35
BigBird
Backup Goalie

Exp:

No way flames get Benn without bartschi going the other way, if I was the stars gm to get me to think of moving a Benn it would start at bartchie plus..
BigBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:35 PM   #36
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bump :

Not Eklund but one of those kind of sites, insider rumours had this to say about Jay Bouw:

"Flyers looking to add a dominant offensive defenseman: someone that can run the power-play from the point. Philadelphia sources have confirmed to me that the Flyers have began preliminary talks with the Jets, the Panthers and the Flames in regards to Byfuglien, Campbell and Bouwmeester respectively. Holmgren is aggressively working the phones."
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 01:21 AM   #37
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well Bouwmeester is easily the best dman of those three.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:18 AM   #38
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Easily indeed. Unless being better at offense, defense or having Cups, er, playoff experience count.

He is just a year off from being the most coveted UFA d man on the market
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:10 AM   #39
Psytic
First Line Centre

Exp:

Cammalleri
Giordano
Neimez

for

Jamie Benn
2nd rounder or Bystrom

Dallas is looking for another PMD so Gio works for them Cammy can play centre and has a scoring touch to help replace Benn. Both guys help them now and still aren't considered to be old.
Psytic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:13 AM   #40
Psytic
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
I think I would take Buff personally hes more gritty and still provides more offense (two 53pt seasons in a row) and bonus you can throw him in at forward to sit on opposing goalies.
Psytic is offline   Reply With Quote