Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-19-2015, 08:38 PM   #1
Drury18
Franchise Player

Exp:
wranglers 2014-15 Adirondack Flames Season Recap

(I will be adding items to the thread on an on-going basis as I can get things done. Some items will be behind spoiler tags due to picture size and trying not to bog down the forum even more)

Team Leaders (note: I completely stole this layout from Devo22 in the CPHL thread):

Spoiler!

Player Recaps:

http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showpos...63&postcount=1

Overall Standings and Record:

While holding steady is usually a good thing, it's not when you are near the bottom of the league. The drop started after Ortio's injury, however it can't be the sole excuse for why this happened. I do put alot of the blame on Huska because he was comfortable with having Ortio carrying the team and prior to his injury, put the onus on him to win games. We had plenty of time to still turn things around and we didn't, the free fall continued. Problems that plagued us early in the season continued on as the season went. As the chart clearly shows, we free-falled and never saw any correction.

Spoiler!

Last edited by Drury18; 04-19-2015 at 09:38 PM.
Drury18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Drury18 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2015, 08:45 PM   #2
Drury18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Articles on the Flames Season by Pierre "Monster" Maguire:

What Went Right in Adirondack: http://flamesnation.ca/2015/4/14/wha...-in-adirondack
Quote:
Right off the bat, it’s important to keep in mind that just because the Baby Flames didn’t make the playoffs this season doesn’t mean it wasn’t an enormously successful year for an organization in rebuild mode. In fact, I’d argue that more went right for this team of youngsters than wrong.
Adirondack Rookie Pack Mules: http://flamesnation.ca/2015/4/6/adir...kie-pack-mules
Quote:
This team of rookie pack mules haven’t just piled on goals at an extraordinary clip (see chart below), but a historical clip as well, making them the most productive Flames’ AHL squad in the last decade.
What Went Wrong in Adirondack: Coming next week

Last edited by Drury18; 04-19-2015 at 08:47 PM.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Drury18 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2015, 09:37 PM   #3
Drury18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Prospect/Notable Player Stats:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...MI8/edit#gid=0

Month by Month Leaders:

This chart really gives you a good idea of how balanced our scoring was and how different players stepped up at different times during the year. And how Agostino pretty much caught on fire in March and just never slowed down. His numbers were quite impressive, as were Reinhart's.

Spoiler!

Goalie Stats:

One thing I want to point out with these stats, other then absolutely these are less then ideal stats, is that a huge weakness on the Adirondack Flames was defensive defencemen. Or good ones at least. We have some terrific offensive minded defence, but we really lack guys who are able to clear the net and help the goalie out. Our goalies did not get alot of help. They were hung out to dry most times. It was something you can see at the start of the year and again, no correction by the coaching staff. Huska would tell the goalies, via the media, to set up and play big but rarely about guys going back to help them out. You'd have mentions of back checking and playing all 3 zones, but not specifically having a strong defense minded defenceman helping out the goalies or to make sure the goalies were clear in front. Teams like Utica and Lake Erie and San Antonio, you weren't allowed near the goalie without a stick in your back. For the Flames, you were allowed near and on the goalies.

Spoiler!

Team Leaders (Cumulative) By Month

Spoiler!

Last edited by Drury18; 04-20-2015 at 11:30 PM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Drury18 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2015, 11:40 PM   #4
Drury18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Special Teams

As the charts show, our PP was excellent during the year. While we did see a bit of a swap starting very strong on the PP at home and then ending up a little stronger on the road, we always remained near the top of the standings for the PP.

Our PK however was all over the place. We went through long streaks of 30+ PK without allowing a opposition PP goal to allowing 3 or 4 a game. This was a huge weakness of the Flames from the start of the year and one area that we'd see temporary correction, but no real consistent fix.

Spoiler!

Penalty Minutes

Another point of struggle for the Flames from the start of the year and where little correction was ever made was the penalties. The Flames took ALOT of penalties. Hathaway and Wolf had 50 minors between them. I can only recall one penalty free game all year for the Flames. Huska constantly spoke to the media about discipline, however it never seemed to come to fruition with the Flames.

Spoiler!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Drury18 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2015, 11:47 PM   #5
Drury18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Goals For/Against

During the year, the Flames managed to climb the ranks for Goals For. While these were definitely padded by a few 7+ goal games, we still finished the year with 3.07 GF per game, so we didn't have issues with offense.

We did though, struggle to keep the Goals Against down. You can see we started off poorly and saw correction in December and January, but then started going back the other way. Again, this is padded a little by some pond hockey style games in the last few months of the season, but it's not a trend you want to see and disappointing when you look at the fact we had a strong GF and PP. This team had more potential than what our final standings and playoff situation shows. And I do think shows that defence is still a weakness in the development part of the organization. We are developing some great offense defence, but we really need to get some stay at home guys who clear the crease and protect/help the goalie.

Spoiler!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Drury18 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2015, 11:57 PM   #6
Drury18
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Rookies

Kenny Agostino - 11th overall in AHL Rookie Scoring, 1st in AHL Rookie Shorthanded Goals, 1st for AHL Rookie Shorthanded Points

Emile Poirier - 12th overall in AHL Rookie Scoring, 4th in Rookie Shooting Percentage

David Wolf - 19th overall in AHL Rookie Scoring, 2nd in Rookie Penalty Minutes and 3rd in Rookie Minor Penalties

Bill Arnold - 20th overall in AHL Rookie Scoring, 5th in Rookie Shooting Percentage

Garnet Hathaway - 23rd overall in AHL Rookie Scoring, 1st in AHL Rookie Minor Penalties, 2nd in Rookie Shorthanded Points and 2nd in Rookie Shorthanded Goals

Ryan Culkin - 86th overall in AHL Rookie Scoring

Bryce Van Brabant - 95th overall in AHL Rookie Scoring

Brett Kulak - 112th overall in AHL Rookie Scoring

Dustin Stevenson - 123rd overall in AHL Rookie Scoring

Kenney Morrison - 163rd overall in AHL Rookie Scoring

Brant Harris - 177th overall in AHL Rookie Scoring

Patrick Sieloff - 179th overall in AHL Rookie Scoring
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Drury18 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2015, 10:25 AM   #7
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Okay, holy sh*t Drury...
Pierre "Monster" McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pierre "Monster" McGuire For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2015, 06:54 PM   #8
Funkhouser
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Hi Drury,
Considering Bennett and Ferland have likely assured themselves a place on next year's roster, there will likely only be place for one more forward (if that). Who sticks?
Shore as he is waiver eligible?
Wolf (also waiver eligible I believe)?
Granlund?

Or will there be a diamond in the rough (a la Jooris)?

Would love to hear your thoughts!
Funkhouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 09:03 PM   #9
Drury18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkhouser View Post
Hi Drury,
Considering Bennett and Ferland have likely assured themselves a place on next year's roster, there will likely only be place for one more forward (if that). Who sticks?
Shore as he is waiver eligible?
Wolf (also waiver eligible I believe)?
Granlund?

Or will there be a diamond in the rough (a la Jooris)?

Would love to hear your thoughts!
I agree, if things stay as is with the team, there is probably only one open forward spot. There could potentially be a second if Byron is not re-signed at the end of the season as well.

Right now, I think Granlund gets that last spot. Shore already requires waivers but when he was called up, he sat on the bench, he only has 11 NHL games despite being called up January 20th. I'm not sure what the organization plans to do with him going forward as he's a bit of a limbo situation. I don't particularly feel confident with him on an NHL roster right now. Hartley has shown a preference to play Granlund and I think with 48 games this year and time in the playoffs, we can consider Granlund an NHL player. When he was sent down, he was sent down because of roster space needed and being the easiest person to move. I don't think it was due to his play. So I think Granlund locks up that spot.

I would LOVE Wolf to make the roster, but I think that requires moving a 4th line guy out. Bollig would need to be shipped out and with the term on his contract, I don't know if that's realistic. I think Wolf brings more to the table then Bollig and a better fit for the style of the organization, but Bollig is under contract until 2017-18 and with low scoring goon type roles going out, I don't know if they have a market to trade him. I'm not sure he's been so bad you buy him out either.

If moves are made and spots are opened up for a kid to steal one (or be so good it forces the Flames to open a spot) it will be Garnet Hathaway. I think he almost forced a hand last year but Jooris showed him up just a little more. I won't be shocked if opening day Hathaway manages to stick around on the roster for a couple games.
Old 04-21-2015, 10:43 PM   #10
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Guys like Hathaway and Agostino will make strong pushes for roster spots as well IMO.

Competition will be thick once again.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 10:49 PM   #11
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

While watching Poirier with the Flames, he's looked a little small and not as aggressive as in junior. If he can put on some muscle maybe he'll have a chance to crack the line up as well.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 11:23 PM   #12
Drury18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Guys like Hathaway and Agostino will make strong pushes for roster spots as well IMO.

Competition will be thick once again.
Of the two, I think Hathaway is more complete right now then Agostino and probably will take a spot from him if it came down to just the two of them. I'd also prefer to see Hathaway in a spot where he might rotate through the pressbox over Agostino who could use some more playing time to develop his game.

Agostino is either going to be an exact copy of Jooris or need another year. He almost has the same career path as Jooris right now where he struggled early in the season and figured things out closer to the end. He's definitely ahead of where Jooris was offense wise, but it all came in the last month. I think if Agostino goes back to the AHL, it wouldn't be too devastating and I am sure he would be called back up. Normally I would say "needs to show more consistency in the AHL before going to the NHL" but Jooris and then Ferland have shown how that's really not the measuring stick for Harlley putting guys in the NHL.

It is going to be a fun camp. Bunch of kids who have seen there is a chance to make it even if you weren't on the radar the previous year all fighting it out. The preseason will be awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
While watching Poirier with the Flames, he's looked a little small and not as aggressive as in junior. If he can put on some muscle maybe he'll have a chance to crack the line up as well.
I wouldn't mind seeing Poirier get a little more time in the AHL either, he seemed to be missing a little bit at the NHL level that he has at the AHL level. He has hard hitting and very aggressive closing out the year in the AHL and didn't seem to show that in the NHL when he got that last call up. It's only his first year in the AHL, a little more time will probably do him good. He's a player better off getting big minutes in the AHL then rotating through the pressbox in the NHL.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Drury18 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2015, 11:43 PM   #13
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Up to our necks in quality prospects of all shapes and sizes.........oh and 6 picks in the first three rounds in the upcoming draft. Kaaaa-raaaazy!
Old 04-22-2015, 07:52 AM   #14
Drury18
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think we are going to see the ECHL utilized more in the next few years as we just won't have enough playing time for all our prospects in the AHL. We already saw that this year with defence and instead of having guys rotate through, I think sending them to the ECHL would be better.

Or buying another AHL team. We might have enough guys soon enough.
Old 04-22-2015, 08:35 AM   #15
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drury18 View Post
I think we are going to see the ECHL utilized more in the next few years as we just won't have enough playing time for all our prospects in the AHL. We already saw that this year with defence and instead of having guys rotate through, I think sending them to the ECHL would be better.

Or buying another AHL team. We might have enough guys soon enough.
I honestly wonder if that's a possibility. Especially with Treliving having no problem ripening guys on the vine down in the AHL.

Especially with the log jam at D, and the boat load of prospects that we have at that position, none of which you would expect to make quick jumps to the NHL.

Either have to cut loose all the vets and go with a very young and inexperienced AHL D group, or find another team for some of these guys to play on.
Old 04-22-2015, 02:10 PM   #16
Drury18
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think it needs to be a possibility. I know the stigma (lack of a better word) of the ECHL but it's almost the same reasoning coaches gives guys they send to the AHL from the NHL. You need playing time to develop, so you will play more. If someone is playing 20 mins in the ECHL, it's going to help them more then 5 minutes or press box in the AHL. And with the Flames owning the ECHL team, I imagine they have a little more control over the day to day operations and could operate them as a second AHL team.

I don't agree with cutting loose all vets. You have to have them, you can't just play 1st and 2nd year players. You need those Yonkman, Tousignant, Gillies (off ice only) types where they bring the room together and help the kids out. I feel it's a non-negotiable part of an AHL team. I'd rather see a few AHL veterans stick around and send a few kids to the ECHL to get consistent time. Call ups between AHL and ECHL are freebies and there is no AHL roster limit so it's not like sending them down is the end of everything. And in Vause, Ramage and Kulak's cases, it helped them immensely.
Old 04-22-2015, 08:38 PM   #17
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I never considered that the Flames would retain ownership of the Thunder. If they do I think it's a good move as they can put the coach and other personal that they want and have everybody on the same page while using it as a fine introduction of our prospects to the pro game. It's too bad we're limited to 50 pro contracts or we could build a deep system.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 12:16 AM   #18
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

You're limited to 50 active NHL contracts. No rule against AHL deals.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 09:17 AM   #19
Red Menace
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I shouldn't even bring this up, but shouldn't Sven be on that top PPG list?
Red Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 09:34 AM   #20
Drury18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Menace View Post
I shouldn't even bring this up, but shouldn't Sven be on that top PPG list?
I hate to be the one to tell you this but we traded Baertschi to the Canucks, he's no longer a Flames player. He's a dirty Comet/Canuck

Also, no even if he was active he only had 1 PPG. No one where near the top of the list.

Tags
2014-15 season wrap up , adirondack flames , baby flames