Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Leagues and Games > Calgarypuck Hockey League
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2017, 01:00 PM   #21
Swayze11
something else haha

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I wanna be like Miikka View Post
In a weak draft I think this is actually fairly decent for Reilly. He will be a stud, he was on Team NA and played very well last year.
Except he didn't play well last year. He was -20 and there was a bunch of articles about how bad he has been playing.

http://www.torontosun.com/2017/03/18...highs-and-lows
https://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs...s-feschuk.html

Not to say he won't be good but he is getting into those years where he needs to take another step.

Swayze11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 01:13 PM   #22
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Plus/Minus? Really?
Seems like there is wide opinion on the player, even in the media.
And then really what this deal hinges on - how much you like him and believe he's a top pairing guy. If one believes he isn't - then the deal stinks. If one believes he is (as I do and I think Scorp does) then the deal makes sense.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 01:20 PM   #23
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Haha I knew this deal would get a reaction.

See y'all in the SCF

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2017, 01:28 PM   #24
Swayze11
something else haha

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild GM View Post
Plus/Minus? Really?
Seems like there is wide opinion on the player, even in the media.
And then really what this deal hinges on - how much you like him and believe he's a top pairing guy. If one believes he isn't - then the deal stinks. If one believes he is (as I do and I think Scorp does) then the deal makes sense.
what do you prefer? corsi? fenwick? zone start %? points? all of them point to him having bad year. That was the point I was trying to make - that's all.

I understand you are trying to defend the deal which is totally fine. I am just voicing my opinion on the deal. I am not getting my pitchfork out and demanding it be reversed. I am simply saying it was a good move by you and a great sell high.

Swayze11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 02:07 PM   #25
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swayze11 View Post
what do you prefer? corsi? fenwick? zone start %? points? all of them point to him having bad year. That was the point I was trying to make - that's all.

I understand you are trying to defend the deal which is totally fine. I am just voicing my opinion on the deal. I am not getting my pitchfork out and demanding it be reversed. I am simply saying it was a good move by you and a great sell high.
Well like I said - I enjoy these debates so not upset at all. i think they are actually really valuable ways to explore the concept of value in the league. I wish we had more of those conversations.

To answer your question - I think plus/minus is pretty much the worst stat in the world. I give it zero value. Zaitsev has a very similar stat line at -22 so I don't think it is indicative of actual play.
I'm still trying to get my head wrapped around some of the more advanced stats, so don't have a strong view.

I do think TOI is a particularly strong indicator of where a player slots. But it doesn't account for whether or not they are the #1 dman on their team because the team lacks a true #1. And that's probably what is the case here. Morgan is probably a #2 at this point, and over-worked against the toughest match-ups.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2017, 05:02 PM   #26
Flickered Flame
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Scorp, better than what we discussed last night but I still think Grant did really well.
Flickered Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 05:51 PM   #27
Completely
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I think you could easily roll this as a win/win.

Scorp needs the #1 D to build around, even if its not a top D now, Who knows Rielly could become a very good defenseman still, even if he just is a #2 or #3. chances of drafting one through those 2 picks are unlikely. Swing for the fences, you're improving your team (insert haters gonna hate gif here). Youre going to pay for the things that you need, or suffer without it.

Jiri, got a 3rd liner and 2 extra first round picks. Has the defense in the cubboard to be able to make this sort of trade, and not even blink that he lost someone. If hes looking forward he would have to pay up for Rielly next year when hes already going to have to pay a bunch of other players. Problems of the rich i guess.
Completely is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Completely For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2017, 12:02 AM   #28
3thirty
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I think it is a good deal for the Wild, but not a steal like some are saying. Could work well for both teams, all depends on the picks in a weak/random draft.
3thirty is offline   Reply With Quote